Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

The Nagorno Karabakh conflicts had essentially been a bit of proxy fight between the Russian-back Armenians and the Turkish-backed Azeris. Russian troops are in the area to essentially dissuade Azerbijan from rolling over the remaining ethnic Armenian areas of Karabakh. If the Russians fail in this task (which they already have been, thanks to the Lachin Corridor blockade they were supposed to prevent) this will indicate that the Russians might be unable to keep expeditionary forces running. An Azeri victory here might enbolden Georgia to take on Russian forces in thier respective areas too.

What is crap though, is that the Nagorno Karabakh conflict is awash with inter-ethnic violence from both sides. Local Armenian civilians stand to probably suffer horribly under Azeri control.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

This, 100%. For Ukraine its a fight to the finish. And if Putin wins, Europe and the Balkans ( aside from the other Putin inspired trouble spots in the world.) may prepare for more "De-Nazification". The Hydra has to be killed, once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this performative hyperbole isnt very persuasive, Russia wont be invading NATO

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭zv2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think it's the beginning of the collapse of Russian influence in the wider region as the emperor is finally seen to have no clothes. Russian peace-keepers have backed their Armenian allies in Nagorno-Karabakh up to now. Armenia realising Russia is week and can't defend its interest was reported to be pivoting towards the US in recent weeks. I don't think Azerbaijan would have made this move before the invasion of Ukraine for fear of upsetting Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

There is this. I had been watching Karabakh for this very reason. I kind of guessed that if Russia was deemed to be weak enough, Azerbijan would make their move. And so here we are.

Already reports of strikes into Stepanakert and if that town falls it's already over. The Karabakh Armenians are starving and a not better armed than the Russians in Ukraine. They face an Azerbijan with NATO-grade gear thanks to Turkey. I can't imagine them lasting long.

What will be worth watching are the Russian garrisons on the approaches into Stepanakert. Will they be made to surrender, or some other arrangement to get them to leave. This too will be a sign of where the Russian military are after 2 years of war in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Absolute nonsense. Putin is losing a war against Ukraine and even if he wins the idea he will then take on the EU/NATO member Baltics (I assume that's what you meant not Balkans) is laughable Hollywood nonsense.

They are already attacking NATO just not military style, but everything short of that definitely. Computer hacking attacks, mapping undersea cables, general harassment, like the recent incident when two Russians trying to intimidate a NATO intelligence gathering plane , and one Russian plane fired 2 missiles at it. The problem is that, there are those in power with Putin openly calling for nuclear bombs to be used, ( or in Russian terminology " Limited Nuclear Devices") to turn the tide in the war. And that means that they do not give a damn about the fallout from these bombs travelling into NATO Countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If Putin wins, and has Ukraine in his orbit, emboldened by that victory, after a pause, the same destabilisation and little green men tactics we saw in Ukraine would be used towards Baltics, Moldova Romania. Why are Poland increasing their independent military capacity?

We have seen the only thing that deters Putin and Russia is military power and resolve.

It may not play out way, Ukraine should keep Russia in check or even if Russia succeeds in grabbing land it will be expensive to hold.

But it is within the realm of political possibility, not laughable Hollywood nonsense.

We can see how Russia uses the resources of annexed Ukrainian territory, and conscripts its populace.

Had Russia stormed to an easy victory in Ukraine, that was the plan, to turn Ukraine back into a satellite like in USSR.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Russia would be rolled over by EU/NATO in seconds and even the lunatics in charge of Russia know this.

"Had Russia stormed to an easy victory" then ya other countries were probably the plan but the reality is they were shown to be complete amateurs once again just like in Afghanistan.

It's nonsense.

"Putin openly calling for nuclear bombs to be used"

Didn't actually use them though did he. And it's because he won't go to war with EU/NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You are creating a simple scenario of a straightforward open attack, with no room or doubt, Article 5 kicks in.

The Russians wouldn't play it out that way. It would be destabilisations, an internal fifth column, little green men, border incidents and provocations, creating doubt. Maybe with an "America first" type President in the White House. A scenario designed to create wedge between NATO countries, perhaps one in which Poland comes to the assistance of one of the Baltics.

Part of a long game to roll back US \ NATO commitments to liberated USSR \ Warsaw Pact territory.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

They won't even try "little green men" on an EU country.

We all knew that was Russia and it won't be tolerated.They will probably keep up all the cyber and political stuff alright.

But they will not do to any EU/NATO country what they done to Ukraine which was the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

They have plenty of not quite little green men but little angry men converted to their cause in the everyday world around us. Slovakia is about to elect a pro Russian government. There is a new pro Russian party in Germany that is going to have serious electoral impact. (Not afd btw). And the island of lampedusa has been swamped by migrants weeks after Russian backed coups in North west Africa. They are already attacking us here in the west in a hybrid manner and have been for years. It is extremely naive to dismiss the Russian threat to the west as Hollywood fantasy. It’s an everyday reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I wish I could be as optimistic. However, populist movements are still on the rise in Europe, and for every Giorgia Meloni, who is steadfast in her support of Ukraine even if I don't agree with her stance on many other matters, there is a Viktor Orban or a Robert Fico, who will gladly do Moscow's bidding. And once one of the large countries elects a leader or a coalition leader who is properly under Putin's sway, something that is looking more and more likely, Putin will have no problem pushing through his ideas and plans, EU/NATO or not.

Mind you, that's not because of Putin's brilliance, but simply due to the sheer stupidity of large parts of the European electorate. In the end, these voters will always cast their voice for those with the simple slogans and the supposedly easy solutions, and Putin is banking on that.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Not disputing any of the stuff about influence. That kinda thing always goes on.

It sounded like the poster was suggesting that Putin will invade the Baltics which is what I am saying has no chance of happening.

you framed it as invading, now they are going to nuke first, another claim I dont see as credible. Also Im not sure what tide needs turning? Ukraine is looking weaker than Russia at this stage , if anything Ukraine ought to be thinking about locking in their borders with lines of defences

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Artillery shell production will have the biggest impact on the movement of front lines in this war in my opinion. This video gives a good rundown on where things stand at the minute in that regard.

https://youtu.be/dDoiqH66DLM?si=vBl9ElIXORkCXCKC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I agree with you that no NATO or EU country will be getting invaded by Russia but what do you mean by "Ukraine is looking weaker than Russia at this stage"

I can't see it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Armenia had been courting the US for over a year now - around last time Nagorno-Karabakh kicked off they had been looking to US for help and the Russians reduced peacekeeping contingent instead as retribution.

They probably don't have the resources now to go back on it anyways. The Iranians do though, there were big border buildups by Iran on their NW with Azerbaijan around last time AZ were about to roll into Karabakh. Interesting to see will they come into the fight. No love lost between the two, not least because of Azerbaijans cozying up to Israel, and funding separatists in NW Iran. Neither Iranians nor Russia want Armenia to be US aligned or to cease to exist, as it would be carved between NATO Turkey and Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Even if it was a Ukrainian Air Defense missile, the blame still lies with Russia. If it wasn't for Russia's invasion or their bombardment of civilian areas, there would have been nothing to be intercepted by air defense, so the missile would have been fired.

A Ukrainian mistake? Certainly. But the deaths can be soundly added to the list of Civilians murdered by Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'd hate to have been the fella on here who suggested that this was a possibility a couple of weeks ago.

Whether it was fired by Ukraine or Russia doesn't really matter at this stage. Every single death in this "special military operation" is 100% the responsibility of 1 man and 1 country.

Such a shocking, senseless loss of life so close to home in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Armenia is in CSTO ("Russian NATO") - all Armenia has to do is invoke Article 4 (it's the same as NATO's more famous Article 5) and Azerbaijan will be crushed by the might of the CSTO forces.

What? The number they dialed cannot be reached?

As of this summer, the Ukraine summer offensive has essentially failed and as attacking is more "expensive" than defending, Ukraine has used up a lot of men and resources. The downside risks for Ukraine are now waning support from EU/US , ultimately if they dont see Ukraine progressing they would start asking Ukraine to negotiate. On the other side clearly the Russian economy isnt imploding and they are muddling through all the sanctions. The most likely outcome I see is that the lines largely stay the same, the next likely is Russia carrying out their own offensive by the Spring, and the least likely is Ukraine knocking on the doors of Crimea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So you're a glass half empty kinda person. A 'just give it up' mentality.

As far as I can see, Ukrainian society and military has a glass getting full mentality and the view that they'll hang in there and keep the throttle on the tyrants neck.

Sorry I missed which level of Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory this fantasy land was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ukraine have expanded their regained territory NW of Verbove between the two Russian defensive lines. Here's ISW's map from a couple of days ago

versus yesterday

and now today

Also worth nothing them attempting to move west towards Kopani from Robotyne (gains in dark blue seen in the first image).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement