Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland and UK to host Euro 2028

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Bramley Moore Dock will be well finished in time. This is from 2 days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I've seen the videos. They're a little past halfway in construction, but reportedly a few months behind schedule and that can snowball. Plus the finances to complete the stadium aren't secure, so if they get relegated and they face charges for breaking financial fair play, they could be in more trouble.

New Everton stadium months behind schedule, Guardian analysis suggests

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Everton and the builders Laing O'Rourke have denied that they're three months behind. The article is based on phase projections in the planning documents, but actual building projects don't always follow the original phase plan. The bowl is as good as finished, half the roof is up and they've begun to remove the tower cranes. They starting fitting out the the interior of the two main stands months ago.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Aviva is to be called "The Dublin Arena" as part of the bid, cause you aren't allowed sponsored stadium names.

Why not just call it Lansdowne Road then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wonder if that may have been due to conversations with Aviva, as they might have been conscious that if this new stadium was getting called Lansdowne Road in the media, that it would stick. The reconstruction has given them a clean break from the old Lansdowne Road and allowed 'The Aviva' to be the majority title - but if this new stadium started getting called Lansdowne now they could lose a lot of the name recognition they're paying for. Something generic with no history attached like 'Dublin Arena' has a better chance of just falling away once the tournament is done. Just a guess though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Wasn't it the Dublin Arena for the Europa league final a few years ago and the same in the Euro 2020/21 finals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Assume we still have to qualify even if the bid is successful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Soccer to be played in the home of NI for the duration of this tournament, in a GAA Ground in West Belfast named after a revolutionary republican who might have been gay.. That's the irony here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Read a few mins ago that 2 out of the 5 qualify automatically which is odd how do they decide which 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A home nations tournament with a real prize at the end would be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

though that rule doesn't seem to apply to London.

Yes you are correct it doesn't apply to London.

Which makes sense as London is a pretty big place with the infrastructure and logistics to be able to host more than one venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A Group of 5 would be nice,

England - Ireland - Scotland - Wales - Northern Ireland.

Easiest way to sort it.

England will probably be one as they have the most matches and the final so maybe a semifinal/final for the other 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I like the way you think, one place for the UK and one for Ireland.........sounds fair to me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably be one spot which is normally reserved for the hosts. Don't see them pulling one of the spots reserved for the Nations League to give two spots to hosts. Could see England given up that automatic host spot for the support of the others to get involved. They'll likely qualify anyway so wouldn't really need it.

For that one spot maybe the highest ranked host that doesn't qualify gets the spot, or maybe hosts that don't qualify play off for it which would be hard as the international schedule is tight.

Wouldn't be a bad idea but fitting it in would be the issue.

• Advertisement

Euro 2016 had two stadiums in Paris even with WCs you had two in Moscow.

Makes sense that the capitol city would have two as one will likely be the national stadium that will host the final and games for the hosts. Leaving the other stadium to cover other games in England's group and another group.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dublin in the end gets two stadiums because I can't see Casement ever being ready. Think Croke Park was put forward as a back up in case Casement falls through.

If Casement falls through or doesn't look like a runner then one of two things will happen.

A new stadium in the UK will be used, or Turkey will win the bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The Casement redevelopment becoming a complete farce

Unless they can find a way of putting temporary seating in hill 16 there's no way UEFA would allow croke park. The hill would have to be closed off for matches which would be a terrible look for UEFA in their marquee international showpiece. Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see CP happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Indeed. With the Emirates, Spurs stadium, West Ham and Wembley they have at least four which are all surely good enough.

• Advertisement

That's not a big deal.

It's designed for the bolt on seating similar to what they have used in other places.

They used it between 2007 and 2010 that way no problem.

But CP is out of the mix and will remain out of the mix regardless of what happens to Casement.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

If only 2 spots are allocated to the hosts then I would imagine all teams would go through qualification, with the 2 spots given to the highest place finishers that failed to qualify directly.

If more than 3 qualify directly then they’d have to add the extra spot through the nations league or something.

PUC maybe if in the unlikely event we get a 2nd stadium I assume that's set up for temporary seating.

No, it's a complete non runner.

It's nowhere near the spec required like something for a Euro finals tournament.

When it was brand new back in 2017 the technical assessment for the 2023 RWC bid said that it was not up to scratch for that.

The alternative to Casement is not on this island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

We should withdraw our bid, it’s of no benefit to the country. The tournament will come at a time when the country will be pretty well full with tourists anyway so we won’t be able to deal with many visiting fans. Better to spend the money on improving our existing sports grounds.

I would say the exact opposite - it's of no loss to the country. The stadium is there and pretty much of the standard required already. There's no big cost, it's all positive. I might agree with you if co-hosting meant having to massively spend on stuff, but it doesn't.

Having been living in a country during a tournament in the past, the general extra buzz it creates - even in areas of the country not directly involved - is great. And even though we're only hosting a small part, if people buy into it (which they will), I think it'll make for a really memorable summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It will generate far more than the cost to host, this is the money to use to reinvest. In fact, the whole Dalymount redevelopment would have been a Euro 2020 legacy project, I expect similar projects this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Casement Park may not even happen ?

They might give 2 spots. We would be in line for one and definitely England.

If Casement falls though that helps us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

In a 24 team tournament they could feasibly give all 5 hosts an automatic spot.

That would leave 50 teams competing for 19 spots. Ten groups of five with the winners and 9 best runners up qualifying. Or five best runners up and four teams qualifying via playoffs to keep the Nations League aspect there.

Probably unlikely to give five spots to hosts but certainly doable without disadvantaging the other teams too much - 19 available places from 50 teams as opposed to 23 from 54 if there was only one host getting an automatic place - 43% down to 38%.

Hosts should be given some kind of advantage even if it’s just a top seeding in qualifying.

• Advertisement

Hosting part of Euro 2028 in Dublin will probably have a neutral cost benefit.

The stadium already exists and is good nick so the costs are reduced, but on the other hand it's not going to generate much more revenue that would be generated in June and July which is peak tourist season as it is.

Surely Scotland would be in with as good if not a better shout for a automatic place as Ireland.

Will be announced on October 10th who the hosts will be. Talk that if it is the UK and Ireland that England will be included in the qualifiers and that two automatic spots will be available for hosts that don't qualify automatically. If more than two hosts fail to qualify automatically the spots are given to the highest ranked teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Turkey have withdrawn! Should be ratified soon as the bid is now unopposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And we still won't qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yep, that's what will happen. All 5 teams will enter the qualifiers, so England should qualify by right and won't need a host spot. Last I heard there was still debate about whether it would be 2 or 3 places withheld for host qualification. If it's 3, then you'd expect at least one other to qualify by right, meaning all 5 teams will play in the Finals. If it's only 2 host spots, there's a risk one of UK/Ire teams don't make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If it's a UK and Ireland bid and they can't get 5 automatically qualified - the two hosting nations being the UK and Ire - than surely 1 UK team and ROI should qualify automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

For a UK and Ireland surely means we have to qualify automatically?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If Casement doesn't get completed, it would surely just revert to another English or Scottish stadium, at which point does it not seem a bit odd having Ireland included in the bid just for 1 stadium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

6 teams hosting and qualifying for World Cup 2030 so bit of hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Less weird than Argentina getting matches in an Iberian World Cup.

It is a pity though due to our lack of infrastructure that this will feel like Dublin tagging along with a British Euros rather than a Euros in Ireland.

I suppose though it's apt that south Dublin would be included in a UK tournament that feels disconnected from Ireland 🤣

I imagine that all the stops will be pulled out to make sure Casement happens. Politically it’s unthinkable that there wouldn’t be a NI stadium involved. I see Leo this evening saying the Govt here should contribute to Casement. Will be a bit of a dilemma for the likes of Gregory and Sammy though. Huge funding for a GAA stadium v NI missing out on a UK bid and the Republic of Ireland being involved.

I bet we are the only ones talking about Casement being an issue.

My guess is Boards.co.uk don't give a sht. Not one of my English friends seems to care whether or not it gets built.

How is it a "political issue" in the UK when none of the English ruling parties operate in NI ?

I’m sure you’re right, it won’t be an issue at all for the general public. However, in political circles ( both small and big “p” I think it will be an issue. I will be very surprised if all the stops aren’t pulled and whatever it takes is done to make Casement happen.

Yeah, as much as they ignore Nothern Ireland, it would still be a bit of an embarrassment for a tournament mooted to feature all 4 UK territories to fail on fulfilling that. Not to mention an easy stick for the opposition to use to beat whoever oversees the failure.

• Advertisement

The kind of political circles where Westminster MPs were shocked that the UK had a land border ?

The kind of political circles where it's common that the NI secretary had never been to NI before being appointed ?

The political circles who sold out the Unionists by putting a trade border down the Irish sea ?

The most shocking thing about the Tory/DUP coalition for the UK was the realisation the DUP existed.

But this is a relatively easy “win” for Westminster to show how much “valued” NI is as part of the UK. The kind of thing Politicians love.

They don't care and their voters don't care how valued NI feels. There is no win.

It is of 0 benefit to a British politician. If anything it will upset voters who won't understand why they are not fighting for a more local stadium over a "foreign" one.

I guess we'll see if they make it happen. Confident they will though. That's the bid, that's the promise, that's what they'll deliver, anything less will be used as a stick by the opposition bench.

I think the most likely scenario is it gets built but not because anyone gives a shte about the political impact of screwing NI.

The project is pretty advanced if they can just start putting down bricks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement