Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Individual Activation Meeting advice

• 19-09-2023 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

So I got a notification email to attend individual activation meeting this morning. It says:

"The Department of Social Protection helps jobseekers to secure work by providing employment advice, assisting in jobsearch and providing access to work experience and further education and training opportunities.

The purpose of this activation meeting is to review your particular employment objectives, to assess your education, training, or development needs and to agree a Personal Progression Plan. This plan will set out steps you can take, with our support, to advance your progress to work."

I have absolutely no issue in engaging with LAES, I will sign all forms they want me to, attend all meetings, I will take up all education opportunities that they put forward to me.

My only concern is that can they apply for jobs on my behalf? Obviously, I have no issue in applying for jobs. Just some background, I was previously employed under the C.E. Scheme for the past several years (I absolutely loved it!). I am ashamed to say I am a male in my thirties, and I don't drive, and I suffer from some mental health issues i.e.. depression, anxiety, OCD, slight Dyscalculia too etc... absolutely no excuse!, as I would like to work, but will they take into consideration that I can't drive? Realistically, it will have to be a job in my local (medium sized) town.

Will they make me apply for jobs outside of my area? Also, shall I mention in my first meeting that I suffer from mental health issues? I absolutely want to be proactive in my search for a job, I would love to find a job, but will the take these factors into consideration, or will they be more draconian in nature?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

In a nutshell, no, they won't apply for jobs on your behalf but do encourage you to be applying.

Can I suggest two things.

A. Be totally upfront about your medical issues, they are obligated to factor this in when assessing suitable employment.

B. Why haven't you considered applying for Disability Allowance. Based on your challenges I believe it's worth considering, particularly if you have a supportive GP. It's a long process & difficult payment to get but certainly worth exploring.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WillH1988

I have numerous times, especially when I have been bad, but every time I do, I feel guilty or ashamed and decide against it. I have been working the past five out of six years, albeit it was under the schemes. As I said previously I will try to be proactive, but my concern is that LAES may not be so patient or understanding with me when it comes to my lack of transport to these jobs - so job searching in my local town is my priority. If that makes sense? I feel if I get in the right environment I will be OK, but as you know the uncertainty drives the anxiety and subsequently the depression follows.

I was looking into the Work Placement Experience Programme (WPEP) as an option, this could be a wonderful opportunity, but there are not that many listings at the moment, (only 1!) but I always check. I am trying to be proactive, but hopefully my case worker will be a tad patient.

I gather from reading through the threads about LAES that they seem to be more focused on education, training, work experience and developmental opportunities than Jobpath were, at least, that is my understanding from reading the letter I received. Would that be correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Honestly their priority is to get you employment but there are further education opportunities also.

I still believe you should consider Disability Allowance and park any feelings of guilt aside. You can do some work whilst on DA

You can't just focus on local employment if it doesn't exist and this is the only reason CE schemes are funded.

Your health comes first, DA if successful will at least give you an income & some certainty plus there's additional allowances like free Travel.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement