Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Yes they did.

They looked at the fuseboard, in the attic and at the roof.

Then provided a quote that included "all electrical testing".

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joy123

Thank you. I been off for long time, forgot all the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

And there's a dedicated quotes thread. This is for tips and troubleshooting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Then testing already covered in the original quote. They failed to assess the main power cable capacity, so the installation of €8 of 16mm cable should be on them. There's no reason they can't complete the work, with new unconnected tail in situ, then submit their cert and request the new tail connection. You could offer to pay the additional ESB re connection fee if you feel like compromising. Best of luck.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/acting-responsibly/certification-process

Thanks for this.

When you say "the additional ESB re-connection fee" what is that?

Is that different to the fee for updating the tails?

• Advertisement

Latest reply from firm ... "we could never have known that your fuseboard was under sized, the additional cost is for the cable upgrade and the pre and post testing after the cable is installed, you would require a cert1 after a tails upgrade. This is required by Safe Electric."

It took me 30 seconds to inpect the tail in my meter box, and put a micrometer on the single outer (neutral) insulation, which told me what I already knew, the cable is 10mm sq, about 6mm diameter measured on the single insulation. 16mm sq is about 7 mm diameter. If he means the fuseboard main breaker current is too light (mine is clearly labeled 63A) then they should have been able to see that on inspection. If he's saying the fuseboard is physically undersized, which might mean insufficient room for the additional PV breakers on the DIN rail, that would be obvious on pre quote inspection. I think your system was inspected by a suit, not a sparks or an engineer.

You could always look for a seperate quote for a tail upgrade from any registered electrician/electrical contractor. I can't see them asking you for €750 with a straight face, to swap a metre of wire, especially if you've to pony up €186 on top to the ESB for their fee. However, nothing surprises me anymore.

Thanks.

Sorry you say "You could always look for a seperate quote for a tail upgrade from any registered electrician"

I though the ESB did the tail upgrade?

Is the swopping a meter of wire (from the fuseboard to the meter) different to the tail upgrade?

Also they put in another mini fuse board as there wasn't space on the board. They've done that already.

Basically not sure what to do now.

We're halfway paid on an install and they're looking for 750 euro more for work that is quoted on the original invoice.

"all labour works"

"all electrical testing and commissioning"

• Advertisement

Read this quote from SafeElectric.ie newsletter

"The response from NSAI/ETC/TC 002 was clear, Rule 551.9.4 requires that option (a) applies i.e. “before connecting any micro-generator, including a Photovoltaic installation, it is required that the existing installation should be inspected and tested.” All RECs installing PV installations should be inspecting and testing the existing installation and making the property owner aware of any non-conformances in the existing installation which will need to be rectified prior to installation of the micro-generation"

Its quite clear, testing and inspection are done before installation, so this cost is factored into the original quote. The only defect discovered is that it connected by ten square tails, this must have arisen time and again, they would be fully aware of it, so it is their responsibility to factor in the cost of this obvious defects In the original quote. They seem to be interpreting this recommendation of Safe Electric to their own benefit. it,'s possibly a ruse to make the original quote look better. "It was considered important that Safe Electric inspectors get clarity on this matter because micro generation includes PV installations which are now common and installers with different interpretations could be at a commercial advantage when pricing work."

As this is the only defect the retest data is just the original test and inspection with the defect now excluded, so retesting is trivial. They can prepare the Cert upload to the SafeElectric.ie database using the original test and inspection data that was included in the quote. There will be a charge for this cert, notwithstanding that they must have known it was needed prior to the original quote.

Read the text here, page 5. it arose from a query whereby PV installers themselves are unsure of how to proceed. Safe Electric are vague about what installers should choose to do, giving them the option not to check in advance, and thus make a meal of it.

I suggested that you get a quote for a tail upgrade from a different contractor, they are listed in the SafeElectric.ie home page. Perhaps you could contact the ESBN to get some information. I know they only charge €35 for a re connection within the time frame of 6 months, after that you must pay a cotractor for an inspection and cert before ESBN will come out and pop in the fuse. I suppose its possible they will the tails also, it makes technical sense, but I think they do it with a contractor on site. Unlike a new build, where the tails are dangling and the building is unconnected, a tail replacement is effectively a wiring disconnection followed by a wiring reconnection, so the fee of €186 seems about right for that part if it.

Its putting me completely off a PV install, if I wasnt already skeptical of the value for money, but the idea that you could haemorrhage an extra grand over 8 quids worth of wire is a stinker.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

ESB Networks will not come out unless a site report is submitted by a qualified electrician.

The question here is why is a tails upgrade needed?

Tell them to pack up and give you a refund. This is the only course of action that will teach them a lesson.

We had to upgrade to 16mm cable AFAIK we had 6mm.

So we;re being told by the solar company that we need to pay ESB to do the tails upgrade.

That is a 186 cost.

The 750 that the solar company want to charge us is for a cable upgrade from meter to fuseboard (it's less than a meter away) and for "testing".

Even though "all testing" was included in the original invoice.

I'm close to this TBH.

Can they then turn around and take their panels and EDDI and cabling and keep the 50% we've paid so far by claiming we breached the contract or something?

If 16mm squared is the minimum acceptable (25 recommended) on a report by a contractor before any electrical installation work can take place, how does that explain ESBN subbies installing the new smart meters, and hooking them up to what is already there, in my case 10 square. I would have thought with such stringent rules that they should notify you at the point of inspection before meter installation. Then let them do both, with a nominal fee for the tail install. Surely a smart meter install should be PV ready if they're all so serious about renewables and energy saving etc.

@mathie, that 6 square tail you have is noticeably small, and should have been spotted on the quote inspection, but then, their quote might not be competitive, if they wanted to throw in 750+186, so leave it off and add it later, as their very own regulatory body, Safe Electric, suggests is happening. A sharp practice in other words.

Is it sharp practice? Not to spot a 6mm square tail in the quote inspection? Leave out €750 + 286 to add it later? As suggested by their own regulator Safe Electric.

It's only mentioned if there is an EV charger or Electric shower being installed, no mentioned of PV. If you included a charger on your PV quote then they would definitely have to assess tails at the quote inspection.

Thanks for all the advice.

I will see what the firm says about the 750 charge.

Sorry deezell another thing I'm confused about.

I know an electrician and he says he can;t do the cable upgrade from fuseboard to meter...

"the meter terminals are sealed and it is fed from ESB's distribution sub. It can only be disconnected from there. I can't touch it."

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

first quote

12x 4 k panel including optimisers , 4.8 kw system

5kw hybrid solis inverter

5kw battery

total after grant 13900€

Davidhunt site doesn’t cover optimizer , so not sure if the extra 2-3k only for optimiser or not.

from a reputable business, is quote too high? Thanks in advance

Post edited by joy123 on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Optimisers will push the price up a good bit.

Are you having more than 2 aspects?

No, 2 aspects for 12 panel quoted

Because of chimney probably. I am still due for engineer to visit and discuss. But comparing most quotes here, its sounds way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

Hi All,

Currently building my house atm. Recently put in 16 Pv panels for 6500 which included supply and fit. It’s a 2kw Pv system.The Pv panels are jam54s31-405/mr. Anyone have these and are they any good.

No battery included will get that later down the line.

They are 405W panels. So it’s a 6.48kWp system if you have 16 of them. 6500 is a good price for this system if the my assumptions are true.

how did you get 2kw??

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

2kw Pv system was on the brochure the plumber gave me. But seems like he gave me better Pv panels.

Is a 6.48kWp system good/bad or excellent ?

V good, your more or less on the €1000/kw of panels guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks can i ask, all of you who have had installations done, was there much damage/disruption to your house? Last thing i want to do is go ahead and then end up regretting it because of damage to the roof or the house when wiring all up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement