Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭eire4

Cleary Scotland are a decent team in the overall scheme of things. They are as you acknowledge number 5 in the world rankings. That is clearly decent. In my original post commenting on another poster pointing out some good sides that Ireland have beaten more recently then 18 months ago I said add Scotland as they are a decent side. That is the only point I was and am making.

You have since gone on a crusade constantly comparing them to the current world champions South Africa which was completely spurious given I never said they were at that level something you know I never said yet you keep on banging on with and here you go on with it yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

You keep saying the same thing about 'comparing' Scotland to SA. They just played against each other, it seems fair to consider that game when considering how good, bad or 'decent' Scotland are. But I guess you don't think it reasonable to include that game in evaluating Scotland at the moment. Fine by me but don't then accuse me of 'not taking responsibility (ffs) for what I'm saying', among other ridiculous accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

So by ur stupid logic ireland must be crap too,never made it to a final!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wow. Your the one who is obsessed with bringing South Africa into the equation. In my original post I was commenting on another poster who pointed out Ireland had played and beaten some good sides in less then the past 18 months. I agreed and followed up by stating that also we had recently played Scotland who are a decent side. Nowhere was South Africa mentioned. Since you continue to behave as you are claiming ignorance when it seems your simply being disingenuous I will quote.

"To be fair the current Scotland side is decent as well." that is the entirety of my original post. Your response was to bring South Africa into it which is spurious to the point I was making. You also threw in an insult saying and I quote:

"Scotland are better than they've been for a long time but SA showed just how limited they are if we are being honest." Thus inferring I was being dishonest when not only was I not but your point had no relevance whatsoever to my original post.

When I pointed out I never suggested Scotland were anything other then a decent side in response you double down with the insults telling me to "relax" and again compare them to Scotland when you said: " They didn't fire a shot against SA." Again utterly irrelevant to my original post.

When I pointed out that you were the one who needed to do some reassessing and called you out on evading responsibility for what you said you again go to insults saying : "I have to laugh at some of the language and tone people use on here while gossiping about rugby and debating the games". You then continued your crusade about comparing Scotland to the world Champions: "the beating SA gave them should reinforce that." Again having no relation whatsoever to my original post. My response once again pointed out you were evading responsibility for what you yourself said and were indeed trying to turn what you yourself said around falsely.

Your response was to take your insults up a notch: "Take a bath or something". You then claimed ignorance of the simple fact that I had originally made and reiterated repeatedly that Scotland are a decent side nothing else or more but a decent side nonetheless : "I have no idea what you are going on about". Clearly your being disingenuous at this point as well.

I called you out on your insults and trying to turn around what you yourself said and yet again reiterated that my one and only point was and is that Scotland are a decent side whom we have beaten recently.

Your response was to continue to beat on with your South African obsession in comparison to Scotland: "SA showed how limited they are, that's exactly what they did" although on this occasion you did trip yourself up when you acknowledged that Scotland are ranked 5 in the world thus showing they are indeed a decent side but of course with your obsession in comparing them to South Africa you linked it to their recent game with the world champions which of course as is clear has no relevance to the original point I have made and have made repeatedly since then and do once again that Scotland are a decent side whom Ireland have beaten recently.

My last response was simply to repeat the above that Scotland are a decent side whom Ireland have beaten in less then the last 18 months as per my original points and call you out for bringing South African into the conversation which is spurious and which you know.

Your last post now has descended into the realms of gaslighting as you refuse to accept what you yourself have said and continue to try and turn around what you yourself have said both in regards to insults as well as your spurious obsession with comparing Scotland to the world champions which I never did and which has no relevance at all to the sole point of the original post I made.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 38,397 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He just doesn't understand that some people are incapable of reading something properly like you.

Scotland are top five in the world and on their best day and a not so great day for the four teams ahead of them they are capable of beating any of them.

Scotland are my favourite 6N team after Ireland but they would break your heart. I've said it 3 or 4 times here, they've had a decent run against a poor England team, a mixed bag against a poor Welsh team, some good days against France when they were poor. They lost a series in Argentina, haven't beaten SA for more than a decade and are neck and neck with OZ in recent years. They've beaten us once in ten years and have never beaten NZ. So theoretically you're right but as a practical matter we are still waiting. They are coming off a couple of decades of severe underperformance but have improved. Ireland's trajectory should inspire them, etc. but I'm not optimistic. Their domestic organization is not great, their youth scene is a shambles, and those are the pieces that matter. They would do well to think about brining in a Nucifora/Schmidt type arrangement.

I don't think Russell is the answer even though, per your argument, he's had some fine days out for them. if they beat Ireland and qualify for the quarters this may be the moment for them to push on but I don't think so. Their mach against SA was inauspicious. To your good day for them and a bad day for others point, you could say the very same for Fiji, Uruguay and maybe even Italy, all of whom could beat Scotland with the bounce of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

61 million v 7 million.

• Advertisement

Same old excuse.u recruit world wide So your population pool is unlimited.but don’t let those fact hold u back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mod: Guys, this is the Ireland Team Talk thread, not the Scotland Team Talk thread. Please take the Scotland/Russell chat elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bobby Skinstad

Gary Teichmann

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

So what should the Irish game plan be...keep kicking the ball, keep their pack moving...try to minimise set pieces and kick all the points on offer...scrums seem to be a big factor in this world cup with the amount of knock ons

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Same tactics as against France in the 6N basically. Any attacking scrums get the ball in and out immediately, any defensive scrums cross our fingers. Rucks as quick as they'll let us and chip in behind the rush defence. Keep the ball away from their wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yep, it’s our excuse for only having a 66% win rate against you guys in the last 10 years. We’re desperate to find excuses for that. Desperate. 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Why is no one talking about the real stories to come out of the world cup with Ireland?

First Doris and then Conan and now Garry have all been pictured sporting extremely dodgy taches.

Inside joke or some sort of forfeit??

These are the questions that need to be answered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Well at least you didn't bring South African up this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

I think Ireland are going to cut and open of South Africa at will. I can see a statement win incoming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭This is it

But you said this just a couple of days ago... have there been some big changes since then?

"Ireland are going into this game a tiny bit undercooked,hence playing close to the first 15 two games in a row. They haven't faced a quality team in 18 months(no fault of theirs)

I expect Ireland to test SA and maybe build an early lead, but eventually SA will find that slightly undercooked side and secure a close win"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Don’t think it would be wise to kick too much ball to their back 3.Serious speed and skill there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It really depends on the quality and nature of the kicks. Rewatching the Tonga game, it looked like we were deliberately kicking infield with all of Lowe and Murray's kicks landing well infield. I don't know if this was a tactic to keep the ball in play time high and trust our chase and breakdown work but it seemed deliberate given none of our kicks even threatened the sideline. We generally got a very good return from the kicking game too given Tonga's

Whilst SA won't want to have a very high ball in play time, they won't be as impacted by it and also have a lethal back three in open field running. But on the flip side, there's definitely a case for going after them with box kicks given the respective heights of each team's wingers. Willemse is a decent full back but he's not Keenan in terms of positioning so hopefully we'll have some opportunities for find grass inside their territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think the idea was Kennan would shoot up, slow the runners momentum down and the rest of the defence moves up flat. He also seemed to deliberately cutting off the infield run option. It definitely seemed to be a tactic to encourage them to run back at a set defence. Rather than us kicking out or them kicking back at us.

Advertisement