Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unused car

• 19-09-2023 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

Just a quick few questions ,

My parent's have an used car sitting in there drive way for the last year ,For medical reason's they can't drive it but didn't want to let go of it but now accept there driving days are over & want to sell it ,

The battery has gone flat & two of the wheels are flat , i guess just from it sitting idle,

Its not insured ,tax'd or NCT'd

Firstly how much would it cost to get someone to come out pump up the tyres & jump the battery, that if its still possible to do so ,

Secondly if i get that done should i sell it straight away or take it for a NCT first ? Its a 2011 Ford Focus with less than 100k on the clock ,

Do i need to declare it off the road for the tax or leave that to the new buyer or what should i do there ,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭MrCostington

If you're going to sell it and think you can do so quickly, I'd not worry about a SORN, but if you think there might be delays I'd SORN it just in case your parents might drive again.

I seem to recall a thread here not so long ago about the insurance/tax/NCT chicken and egg scenario, can't remember the outcome but worth a while to look for it.

Anybody half handy with DIY should be able to pump your tyres and jump it. The only precaution I'd advise would be to remove the plugs (assuming petrol) and turn it over a bit via the crankshaft pulley/nut to make sure it moves freely.

It can be NCTed without tax or insurance I believe, but only if brought there on a truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

You can't declare it off the road for tax unless it's currently taxed or changes ownership. The arrears will be wiped for the new owner when it's sold, so best to leave it as is - alternatively, you could become the new owner, you'd have 10 days after transfer to SORN it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Buy a battery pump (powered by car battery) to pump tyres. Buy and fit new battery to sell it, it'll make the process much easier and cut out the messing. If Mammy & Daddy are not in a hurry for money then book an NCT and even a fail sheet will be better than nothing at all. How many owners are on the log book ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think that will be what i'll do alright ,

Nah there in no hurry unfortunately there past worrying about things, Just looking to get a few quid to put straight back into there house & get a few things upgraded for them ,

Just the 2 owners my old man bought it second hand 10 years ago ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

What make & model is it ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I pumped up our car tyre with a bicycle pump last year - one of those foot pumps. Took about 7 or 8 minutes.

i actully have a good pump at home i'll give it a go ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

Any Idea what you want for it

PM if you want

As far as i can see they are going for between 5 & 7 grand car zone ,

So i'll get the few bits i need sorted & see what i can get ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm sure they probably are in that ballpark alright but I remember my brother paying 5500 for a low mileage 2010 focus back in 2016 I think it was. Should be be bangernomics now but still worth a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Did you get this resolved?

Lidl has a battery charger and a mini compressor for €20 each.

Cheer's man, the wife picked up the mini compressor worked like a dream,

I'll go down myself & get the Charger she said she couldn't see it,

Advertisement