Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HappySolar

Got a few quotes, hoping for some input. I'll start with the best so far:

6.4kWp, 16 x 400W panels, 5kW inverter & a 10.1kWh battery. Eddi is an extra 650 Euro, and no BER assessment. total after grant: 11,650. Seems to be the best, as they include a battery, they also offer extended warranty on the inverter from 5 to 10 years for 350 quid which I'd take for peace of mind. It's described as an ''Alpha'' so I need to look up to see how reliable they are.

This same company also offers a 'change over switch' for 1,000 Euro to allow battery to power the house in event of a power cut, is that worth it?

---

2nd quote, 18 x 430W panels, 7.74kWp, 5kW Huawei inverter & 3.68kW eco smart diverter - 9,900 Euro. This includes a BER and is price after the grant. I believe the inverter in this quote is a hybrid to tack on a battery down the line. Consumption annually is just over the national average. thanks for any advice.

Using the davidhunt.ie/solar tool it's told me option 1 is excellent, option 2 isn't too bad and worth taking. Both are from companies local to me, still have 3 - 4 quotes more to get before I make any decisions, but just looking for ye're thoughts! sound

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

For the changeover, it's damn nice to have but how often do you get a power cut, and is it worth 1000 to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Have Alpha system myself and very happy, also have the changeover switch (in urban north dublin and since we had system installed we have had 2-3 powercuts a year - it may be a big expense but its handy when it you do have a powercut). One issue with Huawei quote is find out how much 5 or 10kWh battery is if you did decide to add it later. I'm pretty sure iits more expensive than most of other batteries

One other point is the Alpha and Huawei are very much integrated systems - in that battery/inverter are part of the same system. So not possible to just add on DIY or other brand batteries (without adding another inverter for the battery)

You're right, probably not worth it to be fair

Thank you! I still have more quotes to get, but said I'd start locally and I'm impressed with the options so far, good tip RE the systems being integrated, something to consider.

Do you think a battery is worth it, I'm on the fence now as people are saying you're better getting on a good tariff and exporting the excess. I guess it's purely preference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

You’re talking about a plumber. Are you sure you have solar PV and not solar water heaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Noe, bar they broke a section of a very old metal gutter that was fragile and they replaced it. Broke when they put a ladder to it. They then used scaffolding for the rest of the work so wouldn't happen again. Could argue it was my fault for having an old, potentially unsafe, gutter still on the house.

When you get an installer you're happy with, get them to talk you through the install process. For us it was 1.5+ days for roofers, then sparks follows and took 2+ days. In fact it took them longer as they were missing some kit so had rework, but I wasn't charged for that.

I'm 3.5km from Dublin city and we just don't get them. Was a 1hour unexpected one 2 weeks ago for 75mins. That's longest I recall in years. I've been WFH for 3.5 years and I don't recall not being able to work for any length of time. So very much depends on where you live. For us, we'd never get the cost of it back. I know rural areas have much worse stability.

If I was to spend another grand, it would be on more panels - fullstop

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joy123

How much damage inside the house, i have converted attic space, more afraid of my wife getting mad at me because people making lots of hole inside the house 😅

i am planning to setup everything in garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joy123

I was looking into smile5 reviews, i saw someone commented “charge management has a fault where its limit the PV charging during the specified grid charging period used for load shifting. This issue means this is not possible to set and forget configuration that caters for both sunny days requiring no load shifting, and dull days that do require load shifting. I estimate the problem reduces the system overall efficiency by some 15%”

anyone using smile5 can confirm ?

Damage? None.

Visible cables / trunking? Yes.

If the fuseboard backs onto garage wall where they mount the inverter, it’s as easy as a hole drilled in the wall and no trunking needed in the house.

Panels need to get connected back to the inverter (2 cables per string / roof orientation). So they will need a route into the garage to connect into the inverter. In ours they ran what looks like an oversized black hose pipe from the panels to the inverter. That looks a little ugly but we’ve already a load of cables running along the house from over the years. Some are probably old services that could be removed.

Inverter is connected to fuseboard.

I'm pretty sure they fitting our panels solely from outside on the roof. The roofers didn’t get into the attic at all.

There will be cables & trunking used in places. But that’s always needed when cables are run. 

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Yes this is a weird issue as when its still in grid charging time period and its already reached the threshold you've set then it won't charge the battery any higher even if its coming from solar. If your on a day/nigh meter your not going to lose much - when the night period ends at 8am and its winter its not going to be an issue. This time year yes but for example today I fed 0.12kWh to the grid this morning.

But bigger issue is your statemenrt "This issue means this is not possible to set and forget configuration that caters for both sunny days requiring no load shifting"

to be honest at this time of year one day you might generate 2.7kWh because its raining dark clouds all day and then next you generate 25kWh. How do you set load shifting to account for that. for the 2.7kWh maybe you'd need 100% battery but then next day default 11% is fine. Some people automate this based on solar/weather forecasting. At the moment I just set it to 50 (and as i approach winter will increase that percentage) , if i have bad day will cover most of the day. once i move off deemed FIT that may all change and just charge to 100 on cheapest night rate and export as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TreborJ

Can someone advise if I should make an additioinal allowance for a Hybrid inverter over a standard string inverter when using the Davidhunt site.

From checking online there seems to be around a €900 difference between the standard and Hybrid.

So I've been quoted €6400 after the grant for 12 x 420 janko panels system with Solis Hybrid Invertor without BER and "Free Eddie so i have not taken it into calculation as I dont really need it anyway"

With that Quote the Davidhunt site would consider it high but lets say I factor in the additional €900 and then i get a "go for it".

This is the lowest quote so far i got 2 more quotes for the same

setup (€7550 12 x 430w Panels Solis Hybrid Invertor without BER and without eddie)

& setup (€8175 12 x 430w Panels Solis Hybrid Invertor with BER and without eddie)

Any suggestions / thoughts, Whats reasonable cost to allow for the Hybrid invertor if any?

I'm no expert but a hybrid is your best bet if you want to add battery storage down the line, or even add more panels to your roof, I think the hybrid inverters can handle more power. If you think you won't do either of those, then stick to a string. Can't really help on price points, except tell you to do what I'm doing and get as many quotes as possible and weigh the pros and cons of each

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TreborJ

Thanks for the Input, Yea I am going for the Hybrid invertor and it gives me more options if I want to expand the system with a battery, I really like the Idea of a self build battery in the future as it looks like to most cost effective option at the moment. I cant add anymore panels unfortunately as 12 seems to be the limit for me. I think ill try to get a few more quotes and then pull the trigger.

T..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Anything know about the systems the energia installers use? The panels are 550w each.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Jinko, Akome, Sunergy, others maybe. Huge panels, 1.1 by 2.2 m, almost 30kg. Thats close to the size of 4' by 8' flooring sheets in terms of handling. Two man job. I've no idea if they're more structurally prone to cracking or damage that smaller sizes, they'd surely need a mid rail for support. When you're paying so much for the installs, I assume that the individual and string outputs voltages are measured and confirmed before connection. You could have a duff partially bypassed panel or two in a system from new and never even know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

We put inverter and battery in eaves and when the were screwing on the fire board they did cause some cracks in converted attic wall where the plasterboard screws were . It didn’t bother me as we were getting the whole place redone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Stupid question of the day :)

I see so many quotes with / without BER - is BER not a requirement of getting the grant, thus quotes "without" are kinda pointless? Or am I missing something obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Some people may not need a BER because they got one recently anyway. Then I would hope/presume the price to update it is minimal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Without Ber means that you have to sort/pay for the ber separately

No matter how recently you got the BER you need another one post works if you want the grant.

Yes, but it isn't a whole new one. It's simple, fast and cheap to add the solar panels to the existing BER. At least it should be. I had a BER done last year when I was getting a heat pump and part of it tells what my BER would be upgraded to if I added solar panels. So if I add solar panels it should not cost much to update when I get them. At least I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Best you can hope for is contact the exact same surveyor and ask him to 'upgrade' your cert by the solar output. How much is BER when solar is the reason, does it magically increase in price as a result? We paid €190 for BER to sell an 80's bungalow in 2021 as administrators of a will. Seemed very reasonable at the time.

Anyone getting a BER should always request the full “dwelling report” from the assessor. That way you can plug the numbers into the DEAP (same tool the assessor uses) and figure out yourself what impact any changes will have on your home.

At this point I’ve lost all faith in the BER system. I didn’t get the PV grant cos I was going to get ripped off; so did them myself.

They changed the system so that the homeowner now has to take full responsibility and risk for applying and processing grant applications; no risk to the contractor as they must be paid in full in advance. If they do a shoddy job; it’s the homeowner that’s out of pocket.

I was close to starting an external insulation project; but Im now taking a totally different approach; I’m going to spend smaller chunks of cash on much more targeted projects; with no regard for BER; and my house will be lovely and well insulated and airtight. Couldn’t care less what the BER is.

I'm also not going to get PV grant either and go self install off-grid with grid backup. I'm going for a 24kw PV array with 43kw battery and it's gonna cost approx 14k. It was fun putting that into davidhunt.

And likewise last year the rip off nature of the renewable industry just led me to ignore grants and do the external insulation myself. The heat pump grant still viable though.

Crazy even with vat removal that all quotes here are nowhere near the davidhunt ballpark and just seem to be getting higher and higher, even though the cost of batteries and solar panels are dropping fast. I'd urge any young fella now thinking of an apprenticeship to skip it and go straight into it renewables and clean up for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Im about to pull the trigger on a PV system but im wondering is this a wise decision with the budget coming up. Would I be better to hold off a few weeks to see if there are any pv packages announced?

• Advertisement

Pull the trigger I'd suggest. Budget changes are over the next 12 months so have a leadtime for certain stuff. It's already 0% vat and there are grants. Even if the grant did increase (and I've no reason to believe that change would come), you'll still get it as SEAI pay it post install.

Heading into winter demand for PV is going to skyrocket. So get your quotes, agree the price and contract and you're in the queue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement