Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

its interesting with the electric cars.. there's still a major urban/rural divide.. id say i see more id4 around north county dublin than any other ev... when i go home to sligo ev's are rare enough.. be curious to see when they take off outside of urban areas.. when getting the tyres in vw navan last week they had a Buzz on display and when i asked about it.. they said sure its generating a lot of buzz.. but not a single order.. they got in a few that were immediately redirected to dublin where they were selling quite well..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I agree, I often see 4-5 ID.4s within a couple of kilometres of my house. There's at least 3 in my estate, plus a pile of Teslas, Ioniqs, Leafs and a few Konas and others

I feel like there's it's more of an urban+extra urban vs rural divide

Went to Wexford a couple of weeks ago and saw a good few EVs on the way there and back, so there seems to be a fair number of EV drivers clustered along the commuter routes

It's probably worth considering that the northwest has for years been an absolute black hole for public charging. The situation is turning around (there's even an Ionity hub planned near Sligo town) but they're effectively a few years behind the rest of the country

I think there's a lot of neighbour effect with EVs. If people see a bunch of EVs floating around their area then they start to think about going electric themselves, maybe engage the owners in a conversation about it

Actually, on a side note I've noticed that I'm not getting asked about how I'm finding an EV anymore. Has it gotten to the point where no-one needs convincing anymore? 🤔

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

oh my father keeps asking me if i regret purchasing mine.. not sure that will ever change!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Tell them exactly that. Tell VW that the door opened while driving. It's a health and safety issue then and they'll book you in ASAP. They'll get AA to come out and put the car on a flatbed (PITA) to get it to the garage. AA will then give you a curtesy car (it's a deal they have with AA I believe).

This all happened to me, though I live about 5 minutes from the dealer, so the AA guy strapped bungee cords around the door as a safety measure and I drove the car to the dealer. It was that, or wait several hours for a flatbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭fits

Lots of EVs appearing in our rural area. Heaps of them around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 krishantha

I dnt think EVs will have second hand market due to high depreciation of battery and replacement cost of battery.

Any thoughts?

This is the usual crap that gets thrown around by EV detractors

Look on DoneDeal, there's a second hand market for EVs all the way down to 10 year old Leafs with degraded batteries, there'll always be someone the car suits

The oldest ID.4 on the market today probably has 5 years of battery warranty remaining. Even worst case if it loses 20% of it's range by the end of the warranty, you're still looking at enough range to drive from Dublin to Cork without a recharge

No-one is going to pay for a full battery replacement, it'll be much cheaper to replace individual modules on an ID.4, maybe even go down to cell replacement

You don't replace the whole engine in a petrol car if it breaks a piston ring, you just replace the parts that broke

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

What's software number is available now for id4? I have 3.1. Any point upgrading? I am guessing u have to make appointment at the dealer for update?

3.2 is latest

No point updating if everything is working

Car needs to go to dealership for update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Car ready for collection after having a pump replaced, working theory being due to the cars sitting waiting to be collected/ sold the pumps fail.

I assume it some coolant pump also, no real details provided.

• Advertisement

If they tell you it was the fuel pump then they're definitely lying 😂

i think new cars are coming with 3.5? there can be a long lead time for vw updates in garage... i was given 6 months for sligo but getting it done in Navan next week.. they need the car for at least 2 days.. no major issues with my car but figured might as well get it updated..

I've been getting a pretty serious wet towels smell in the car the past week

The inside would have gotten a bit of rain in the bad weather we've been having, but not a lot. Wet spots and slightly damp, not soaking

Inside is completely dry now

I run the fans every morning which usually clears any odours out but hasn't worked yet

I'm wondering if my pollen filter needs changing, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Pollen filter is under the bonnet, easy enough to unclip the cover and slide it out if you want to have a look.

I took a look at mine and it's looking pretty filthy, might be time for a new one

Anyone know why there's two filter slots, and is there any advantage to adding a second filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

First is pollen filter

Second is carbon filter

Was doing some searching and it seems that the current filter combines both, which is why there's only one

It also explains the black stuff all over the filter which I thought was mould at first

I'll probably replace it anyway, it's past the two years limit

There's some debate on the US forums about the merits of double stacking the filter for extra cleaning. The responses range from "this is the greatest idea ever and will extend your life by decades" to "this is insane and will block all the air coming into your car, creating a vacuum which makes your car implode"

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but it's always funny the ideas some folks get into their heads 😂

Not entirely convinced it'll make a difference but since they're fairly cheap I might try it out. At least I'll have a spare on the go when one is getting mucky

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I imagine doubling up will cause air flow issues. Similarly to blocking a hoover.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That seems to be the main concern, but the filters should be pretty low resistance. Not like they'll completely block the thing

If you see a story about someone suffocating in their car because it had too many filters then you'll know it didn't work as planned 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 seadal

Where's the best place online to order wiper blades?

Mick's Garage doesn't seem to stock them.

Could try Auto Doc, I haven't bought anything from them but they seem to have them in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Is bidirectional charging enabled now on id4? Supposed be available on id4 in 2023? If yes how to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seadal

Thanks, tried Auto Doc, Bosch blades are very reasonable but €30 delivery!

Think I'll look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You need a bidi charger. Which aren’t really available yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

The new Tiguan looks beautiful 😍

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Amazon. Get the Bosch code to make sure you’re ordering the correct set.

Been having some issues with the charging port cover, the spring loaded latch is sticking so it wasn't opening properly

Then it got stuck sort of open and popped open while I was driving

Had to pull in, but apparently driving with it open at 80km/h has sort of fixed it for now

This is German quality? 🙄

No wonder they're losing market share to the Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mine did that too. Got progressively worse and then stopped entirely.

Got it replaced under warranty. If I were you I’d book it in if it happens again rather than getting caught out at a charger and can’t open the port!

• Advertisement

Cheers, yeah it's definitely on the list alongside the underperforming air conditioning

On the plus side the damp smell seems to have gone. Guess it just hasn't fully dried out

Will replace the pollen filter myself and then see what the garage can do

Advertisement