Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• I think I must have said “AWESOME” in an earlier post. I nearly explode when I hear it said by an Irish person and any time I go near North America I have distract myself with a moment of CBT in anticipation of hearing it as a reply to something I might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

I detest people saying "Can I ask you a question?"

You just f**king did!

Get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Suv its a feckin jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What is so difficult with the pronouncing the word, tremendous? Where is the J in it? Tremjus!!!🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Very common in north Cork. 'with years'. Doesn't grate with me, tbh. Another local one is using 'or' instead of 'if' - 'Or you don't mind....'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

"oh my days" normally said by someone gasping in astonishment. It's bad enough when I hear it said by someone from England but my ears bleed when I hear someone Irish saying it. What does it even mean for fcuk sake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

"Just pop in your PIN there"....usually followed by "perfect!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brokenbad

People who comment "Fly high with the angels" on Facebook regarding a bereavement post

• Advertisement

“Perfect” ….when it’s most definitely NOT perfect.

“No bother”

Very dismissive and 90% of the time, these two are said by people who never listen.

Any fully grown adult who describes themselves as a “girl mom” “boy mom” “girl dad” “boy dad” “dog mom” “dog dad” …. Gives me the creeps

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Going forward ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

“Perfect” ….when it’s most definitely NOT perfect.

When used in relation to some thing/situation that is definitely not perfect then it is usually used in the same way as "I will; yeah" (meaning I definitely will not). It is an antiphrasis

How are "Perfect" and "No bother" very dismissive? Unless you are talking about people who are constantly using those words for everything.

Haha ya I’m thinking of people who say it a lot.

Reminds me of a time I was giving feedback to someone I was training about a serious error that was made and she kept nodding her head and saying “perfect” in response hoping I would stop talking rather than engaging in a conversation. In the end I had to stop and say “well no, it’s not perfect because X and Y happened as a result” after the 8th “perfect”

good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

"The vast majority"...when said by someone on the defensive.

Like the head of the taxi federation answering allegations on radio that a certain number of taxi drivers were not compliant regarding the right of passengers to pay their fare by debit/credit card.

"The vast majority of our members are compliant", he claimed. So that's anything from a fraction over 50% to just under 100%. It means nothing, just a cop-out answer, which the radio presenter didn't challenge.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's like "A percentage of our members etc". 0% is a percentage, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

“It is what it is”

came to particular prominence during Covid. Usually uttered by those that don’t know what to say next and at the same time are happy to bend over and spread their cheeks whenever required. The most defeatist, mundane and braindead of sayings.

Stephen Kenny said it the other night in the post match press conference after yet another defeat. The perfect man and moment to deliver this piece of sh*t comment, sums him and Irish football team situation up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A literal translation of the Irish "le blianta" - a common source of many Hiberno English phrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,945 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not difficult, but not natural either in casual speech to enunciate the individual sounds. There is the same discussion about the J sound in the pronunciation of Module. I think what is explained here for that case could also apply to the pronunciation of Tremendous.

The phonemic pronunciation is /ˈmɒdjuːl/. This is how you might say it if you were enunciating everything clearly. However, everyday speech distorts phonemic pronunciations into what we call "allophones". For example, the "t" you use in "kitten" might not be the same as in "tree"; instead you might use the "glottal stop", written as /ʔ/, and might informally transcribe it as "ki'en". We say that the glottal stop is an "allophone of /t/".

The term for /j/ (the IPA's symbol for English "y") is the "palatal approximant". "Palatal" means that it is articulated with the body of the tongue raised against the hard palate (the middle part of the roof of the mouth), and "approximant" means that it is produced by briefly pushing two areas of articulation together. Because the method of producing an approximant is so similar to that of a fricative (produced by constraining continued airflow through an area of articulation), the two types of sounds will often become confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

" I have NO respect for ... "

Everybody who says that has some obviously personality defect of their own. They don't accept something's their own fault lot of the time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Those who've never shown any interest in religion in their daily lives who wish a "happy birthday in heaven" to those who are dead and gone, how can this be??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stakeholders.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Jeep is a feckin SUV

Jeep is a car brand owned by Stellantis Group. They make SUV type vehicles.

SUV stands for 'Sports Utility Vehicle' industry jargon... It refers to a type of car that sits high off the ground and which often has four-wheel drive and rugged styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

"I don't mean to be bad, but..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I'm well aware it's a car brand but from my generation anyway people refer to veichles like that as jeeps even if its not an actual jeep branded veichle. Suv sounds very American and bullshitty to me. I don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Disruptors.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

An American project manager welcomed me to the project and asked me to pour some lubrication on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dido35

I only see this online but it makes me irrationally annoyed when I see someone say "fit" instead of outfit. As in, what do you think of my new (out)fit? 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Advertisement