Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think far more likely than whether the goal is achievable the UK decision just represents a quiet alignment to the agreed EU goal of ICE sales bans by 2035.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Presumably Ireland will continue to bang its 2030 ICE best in class ban until it once again misses an arbitrary and headline grabbing ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,371 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Is it 2030? I thought we were 2035 like the rest of Europe?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I want!

Actually I'm probably too old and my back is too wrecked for that carry on 😔

Still, how cool would electric go karting be? Instant tourque, crazy acceleration, no petrol tank between your legs that looks like it's one spark from burning you to death

I took a look at the company and they do commercial karts for every age group, the power can even be limited so little Fionnán doesn't pancake himself against a wall doing 160km/h

This would be a great way for young people to see the fun side of driving EVs (aside from the electric bikes and scooters they all have)

Hopefully it catches on here. Maybe someone will reopen Kart City in Dublin as an electric karting track 🤔

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As far as I was aware we've already been told it's not doable under single market rules.

• Advertisement

Makes sense. So proves it just another in a long line of arbitrary unattainable aspirations to appear best in class domestically, in the eternally spoofing Programme for Govt, and internationally. All PR and no knickers

It's pretty much a standard part of how the harmonised single market works.

Country A wants X, Country B wants Y. Negotiations happen and the final agreement ends up somewhere in the middle. Functionally the EU ban isn't all that different from the Irish ban. Sale of vehicles that can use any combustible fossil fuel are stilled banned as of 2035 exactly as per the Irish ban. As to the 2030 proposal being unattainable as of this year we're already at 47% of new cars would still be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The ban is a damp squib. Nobody will be buying any combustion cars years before 2035

I understand the single market implications of the proposed ban and I agree that, given current trajectory of EV market penetration, ICE manufacturers will largely if not wholly at least for mass market cars have transitioned to EVs or gone bust in advance of 2035.

My point being the Govt went off half cocked making a 2030 ice ban commitment that they, had they given any advamce serious policy consideration to, would have known was not a runner. Yet again a triumph of PR over substance

I can guarantee there'll still be ICE sales, automakers and dealerships will offer heavy discounts to try and prop up their ICE business whole they transition to electric and buyers will see a cheaper car and go for it without thinking about TCO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

If you want to have a moan about politics being political there's a whole forum for it https://www.boards.ie/categories/politics-politics

I think I'll need to organise a trip to Germany now 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

or even increase the warranty cover...

Improved residual values

The five-year warranty is expected to see an uptick in the used car values for these models, as the warranty can be transferred to any subsequent owner. If that comes to pass, then there will be a knock-on benefit for new Land Rover buyers, as improved residuals usually make for more competitive finance rates.

So its only within topic to support Govt policy

Feel free to discuss the relevance of a particular EV related policy on it's own merit. But if you want to make comment about the government as a whole (as below) do so on the politics forum.

Makes sense. So proves it just another in a long line of arbitrary unattainable aspirations to appear best in class domestically, in the eternally spoofing Programme for Govt, and internationally. All PR and no knickers

We shall have to wait and see so 😁

But I doubt very much there will be even 1% of cars sold with a combustion engine in 2034. I wouldn't be surprised if it is down to the last 10% by 2029.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree. Look where we are now already. The shift happens with new car sales first, which are not the majority on the roads so there will still likely be a majority or large minority of cars on the road in 2029 or 2035 powered by ICE. Just that their replacements, will be EV. It has already happened in places like Norway, where fossil fuel is above €2 per liter already.

I'm not talking about M5s or porsche etc, necessarily, but the likes of the dacia duster and ford focus and those kind of cars will be powered by EV going forward. Where it's not an ultimate driving machine but merely a mode of conveyance. It's already perfectly doable. I'm between jobs at the moment and I've already got most of my daily errands done in my leaf24 - powered by the sun from yesterday and she's already charging up again from the same source. I just dont get why anyone would buy a new 1.5 petrol or diesel family car these days. It makes no sense. Model 3 are so so cheap for a new car. MG4 and MG5 are great cheap options.

I imagine the majority of new car sales will be electric or PHEVs by 2035, but I'm pretty sure most hybrids are still allowed under the proposed and people will still buy them because they still believe the BS about a mild hybrid charging itself for free

When we've a global shortage of stupidity then EVs will be 100% of sales

Very reassuring for one of the most unreliable brands in history 😂

• Advertisement

The 2035 EU ban is structured as a 100% reduction in CO2 emissions during vehicle use from the fleet levels of 2021. Under the current target Hybrids, and PHEVs would not be sellable starting 2035. There's an interim target for 2030 of a 55% reduction. Meaning todays 95g CO2/km becomes 52.25g CO2/km.

The targets are at a fleet level, so a manufacturer could still achieve the 2030 target by selling lot's of BEVs and a few smokers.

And also for those legacy OEM that dont sell EVs in 2030, the price of ICE will rise dramatically as they will need to buy more and more ZEV credits from the likes of Tesla.

Interesting, I didn't realise the ban went that far

Don't forget the E Fuels the Germans were so excited about 🙄

E fuel is almost as bad as hydrogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

do we need a new thread for EVTOL ?

So... Lewis motors have an F150 EV for sale. It's POA but I sent them a message already. This has me written all over it. Wonder what the rrp is on one of those here!

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/alan-lewis-ba475b40_ford-fordf150-cars-activity-7110703516381257728-xiRC?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

Wow that's a cool motor. With the 6kW V2L too I think? Fair play for your man for bringing one over, but I'd say he will need at least €20k on top of what it cost him, which I think would be reasonable enough. And with VAT, VRT and import duty, that's not gonna be cheap.

Let us know how much when you find out!

Yes I'd imagine similar to the prices quoted for the Plaid X/S. But infinitely cooler in every way.

The US price is $92k for the platinum trim (which this is) with the extended range 130kwh pack (which I think this has, as the SR is only 220 miles range and this one seems to be 300). $92k moved over here with taxes etc would put you at 130-150k. Back of a napkin maths.

Above 120-140k that would render it unaffordable for me. Hence why I messaged to ask about the price. I'll be on the phone to them tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What would that have, CCS1?

would that not get messy with charging in the wild?

• Advertisement

It's out of my price range unfortunately. Been pricing up used ones to import myself and that may be more feasible as they start at only $50k for the pro models in the US. Add taxes/duty/shipping and that's probably 80-90k landed. VRT would be low - either 7% as a private EV or 200euro as a commercial N1, depending.

Yup, type1 AC and CCS1. There's adapters for everything (I'm already using a 32a type2 to type1 adapter at the house to charge the leaf). For CCS1, there are adapters on the likes of alibaba/express. CCS2 and CCS1 are pretty much the same standard as far as I understand from the protocol. The AC ports are used only for signalling and comms, so, while the shape and location are different, a dumb adapter would be able to make it work. It's not like CCS to chademo or vice versa. All you'd need is something to move the comms etc on the plug/cable side into the correct position to have the car accept it.

Anyway, I don't really fast charge that much anymore (and if it were an issue, we have herself's Ora anyway which is more than capable of road trips).

I think when I'm a bit further into model 3 ownership or if I get a good offer for it, I'll revisit this idea. An F150 EV is a lot more interesting to me than the S/X plaid I was considering importing.

Advertisement