Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@loco_scolo good idea about greenways and gradual improvement of the branch lines, but I get a feeling that for the Limerick and Galway lines the 3km double-track sections on single-track stretches would be not much less expensive than just double-tracking the lot. For Limerick, you'd have two or three such passing loops, each of which would need points at the diverge and merge sides, which means more signalling on the line, plus the 9km of doubling. That's against just laying 30 km more track and dispensing with the need for extra points and signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

When roads are built on new alignments noone suggests putting a greenway on them to 'protect' that alignment. Apart from well-known sections of disused railway (South Wexford, Mullingar - Athlone, and, you know...) the rest of the schemes proposed will have to be new builds. Design, land purchase, project management etc would then be an integrated programme. If a parallel greenway would be deemed desirable then it would be integrated in the design and land purchase from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Not being smart, but what's your point? Greenways have never been build to protect new road alignments, for a number of reasons. Mainly, roads have generally "gotten" built, so protecting future alignments has never been necessary.

There simply isn't enough funds, or funds simply won't be made available, to build half of what's in the AIRR, at least not for a few decades.

Greenways could be developed, and routes protected, for a fraction of the cost of actually building rail lines and all the associated infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Again, I refer to new builds. Much of the cost relates to land purchase. The same decision making process applies for either a new road build or a new railway. 'Preserving' a putative alignment is redundant in that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am a beneficiary of the WRC, but I fully accept this point.

Something outside the west would be a great help to rail travel in the west.

Unfortunately, this would be a hard sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What is this talk about 3km doubling every 20km?

Jaysus, have we not learnt that we need to plan for future growth.

We are a rich, modern country.

The entire intercity network must be doubled, with max speeds 200kph.

Dublin to Belfast, Cork, Limerick and Galway, all doubled, all 200kph max speed, all electrified, all LC eliminated.

Maybe Waterford also.

Preserving a clear alignment is not redundant. There are numerous examples around the country where broad "route corridors" have kept people in planning limbo for years. And now it looks like some of those roads will never be built, but people home/land owners will likely still be kept in limbo.

It was just an idea to make it achievable. What's your plan? Just do the whole plan all at once, everything? What timeframe do you think we could achieve that, being rich and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Westernview

An article from yesterday's independent highlighting the shameful neglect of our rail network. Just goes to show the mountain of work needed across the country to address the issue.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/stop-closing-train-lines-and-stations-ireland-spent-six-times-more-on-roads-than-railways-over-last-three-decades/a686670164.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Economics101

I just looked at the Indo link. It's nearly all about Europe as a whole, not Ireland, whose rail network expanded in recent decades, unlike the rest of Europe. Sure, much less was spent on rail than road in recent years but the "shameful neglect" stuff is over-done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Westernview

We needed to upgrade our roads but I think a 6 to 1 ratio is shameful and considering our awareness of climate change to state that is not "over-done". Historical neglect is one thing but spending the same amount on one runway LAST YEAR year than the entire railway network betweem 2016-2020 seems negligent to me.

Europe has a much more extensive rail network already in place so it's a pretty weak argument to compare our progress on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not really a valid comparison. Ireland invested effectively €0 in rail in the whole 20th and 21st century.

That is total nensense. Ireland has invested very little in rail over the past decade or so, but talking of "the whole of the 20th and 21st century" - give me a break.

No really, very little invested in more than 100 years. Are you familiar with our railway?

We're operating antiquated deisel 'commuter' trains on hourly frequencies to Maynooth, if you can get on one you'll either collapse with the heat or be a block of ice by the time you get off. There has been no significant investment beyond maintenance and managed decline.

So no large ICR fleet? And the 2900s on the Maynooth line, while not exactly cuttung edge are not as bad as you describe them. THey do have AC, by the way.

And no replacement of virtually all track with CWR? And no virtually total transition from old mechanical signalling?

Take a look at Intercity frequency and journey times to Cork, Waterford, Galway etc: no improvement?

I know a lot of new investment is needed,, but there is no need to be so totally negative and to ingore what has been done over the last 4o years or more.

Yeah a standard fleet replacement isn't investment it's just maintenance really. The train to Cork was faster in 1970, they are more frequent alright, so a marginal improvement there. As for abandoning mechanical signalling, we'll hardly worth mentioning.

If they have AC why is it never used?

"The train to Cork was faster in 1970" Really? I don't have 1970s timetables in fron of me, but you are talking about a period when line speeds were 75 mph max, when rolling stock was similarly limited, and when there were no 071s (never mind even more monern equipment).

So are you seriously saying that trains limited to 75 mph hauled by a pair of 141s were achieving faster times than to-day;s 100pmh trains?

I know Irish Railways need greater investment, but don't be so totally negative about what has beeen done thse last decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,685 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think Cork is one line where that "they were faster in the past" thing isn't true at all

One-stop excursion services in 1971 took 3h10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They invested nothing in motorways in the 19th century.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Nor did they invest in airports or television studios or mobile phone masts.

They did invest in canals and railways though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

In areas where both a new road and new railway are proposed, is it worth buying one strip of land wide enough for both a railway and road and building both on it, paralleling each other? I'm not an expert on road or railway engineering, but I would expect what I've just described to work out as cheaper than building a new road and new railway separately, because I'd expect less land overall to be required. I'd also expect that less bridges would need to be built, since each road that would cross both the railway and new road would need just one bridge to cross them if they're right beside each other, but two separate bridges if they're further apart, so that would probably save money. I might still be completely wrong.

I would say that a largely straight strip of land would need to be bought however, and the part of the land for the railway would need to be flattened, because railways need to be straight, so this makes it harder to find a suitable route for both modes, and so this could make it unfeasible.

I'm not sure if this has ever been done before, but I was on a railway in Amsterdam from the airport to the central station that looked like it might've been built together with a motorway(the A4 just east of schiphol airport if you want to look on Google maps). There is also a railway from Athens to Corinth that also looks like it was built together with a motorway. I've no idea if either are an example of what I'm talking about though.

Can anyone here confirm if what I was suggesting would be cheaper than building a road and railway separately, or even possible at all?

The only railway recommended by the All Island Rail Review that I think that this "rail & road joint corridor" would work for is the Derry-Letterkenny railway, because there's no dual carriageway connecting them(for the most part) but I'd say one will be built at some point. So, if a joint corridor for rail and road would work, I think it should be designed to link Derry and Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭gjim

The idea sounds superficially attractive and I've definitely been on trains running on alignments constructed part of motorway construction (the train to Stockholm from the airport is like this?). Maybe it makes sense for certain sections but overall it doesn't work because fundamentally motorways should be carrying traffic around towns and cities and be separated from human habitation while rail alignments should be bringing people as far into (or through) the centre of towns and cities as possible and should go directly through densely populated areas. I think the idea might have made more sense in the mid 19th century when everyone was (disastrously) trying to bring motorways into and through their city centres - you see combined motorway/rail alignments from this era in places like the CBD in Sydney for example.

Surely the problem is that railways generally require gentler gradients and curves than roads, so the co-location might only work on relatively flat open countryside.

Also you reference to 19th century and bringing motorways inot city centres: I'm sure you meant the 20th century. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭gjim

😀 - yes of course, I mean mid 20th century! Yeah gradients are a thing also - which is why i said it might only work on "certain sections". In any case with different design constraints (including gradients) and fundamentally different goals (go directly through/into densely populated areas vs go around and avoid densely populated areas), it would be very rare for an alignment to be good both for rail and motorway. And choosing a dual alignment trying to accommodate both will either make the job a lot harder or end up compromising both.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If we think of the M20 - Cork Limerick motorway - then the existing Cork Limerick railway goes through Limerick Junction. The cost of dual tracking the line from Limerick to LJ will provide an adequate rail connection, assuming it is designed to be adequate (electrified or prepped to be so). The extra distance is about 20 km over a direct as the crow flies alignment - if that is possible. That is 10 mins @ 120 km/hr, and possible a decade quicker to bring into existence.

However, the M20 itself needs to be direct and serve the towns on the direct route. Now the central reservation on the motorway could be widened to allow room for a railway over much of the route, with appropriate handling for access to the centre of the various towns on the route.

Not sure of the costings, or the benefits in any way. I leave that to the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

So much for the the AIRR

DEPR has published "Project Ireland 2040 - Prospects 2023/2024 - Ireland’s Major Infrastructure Project Pipeline"

It lists 5 rail projects, all in the GDA. Shows where the real focus is.

Did you miss this bit?

Prospects 2023/2024 sets out a clear pipeline for 50 of the largest individual projects that make up Project Ireland 2040. This pipeline spans projects which are currently at planning and appraisal to projects which are completing construction this year

The AIRR lists mostly potential projects which are not at those stages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This is

That document is about the progress of projects that are already active, not new plans. The dates given are construction dates, but as we all know, there's years of work before construction, and many of these began years ago.

If any of the AIRR projects was agreed right now, it wouldn't get started until 2024, which would put them on next year's summary, not this year's.

The old direct alignment is 30km shorter than going via Limerick Junction. The current Limerick-Cork line is 130km long. Cutting that to 100km would be very significant.

I'd rather they just get on with double tracking Limerick-LJ, just to be clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Advertisement