Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temple street hospital using unauthorised devices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If the implants used were what was always used then no CSSD wouldn’t have anything to do with them as they’d have been stored next to or in the theatre already sterile. The instrument sets would go through CSSD though.

And sorry if I wasn’t clear, but it did happen where replacement crews or plates (and in orthopaedics there’s a load of that stuff) would come through CSSD and either be sterilised separately for use in the operation, or if they weren’t needed straight away would be kept in CSSD and added when the set came down. I mentioned that they might be involved because if the screws weren’t authorised then were they pre sterilised ? I hope CSSD had no role in this.

There is the purchasing part also which is a good point, and that’s why I’m confused, and I can only speak to my experience in that anything anyone wanted to buy you needed to get it cleared.

Well the implants or anchors or whatever i saw were in plastic with a clear front and white background and were opened in front of the nurse and double checked. As you say something happened to bypass those many checks.

And spot on about the staff and how hard they work. At times it’s very easy to generalise the whole health service and not be specific.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭standardg60

Generalisation is indeed a bad thing and it's at the soul of everything that is wrong with healthcare and indeed the whole public service.

Who's fault is that? Hardly the collectivist union mantra that everyone is doing a great job and to target any particular individual is wrong?

The management is a major issue and given the enormous amounts of money spent on health it should be better but that’s not the staffs fault. That’s not the fault of the staff in the hospitals yet some just say the “health service is broken” or some version of that quote when it’s not the case.

Yes it is wrong to blame any particular Individual that can’t possibly have had anything to do with this specific case. The anaesthetists for example by at least two posters should be struck off apparently for no reason, when that individual would have no hand act or part in any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Are you talking about Crumlin, I know your not but that is the same treatment we have got for the last 3 years, phone number the OPD in a store room, a nurse on call services phone not answered and voicemail will ring you back within 5 working days as per priority or go to your GP. The idea of the on call nurse if the child experiences difficulties this who you are to contact and you get a voicemail.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Agree or leave you sitting for an hour and then tell you to go for an X-ray or a scan and when you go they are on their break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm surprised this isn't attracting more outrage. It's being covered in the media but not to any great deal.

How on earth is blaming individuals wrong? You've literally proven my point, 'The Management' are an issue, how can they all be yet 'The Staff' are at no fault at all?

It makes absolutely no sense that every member of management is useless but every member of staff is an angel. Why would anyone think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

yeah - it’s being played down it seems orders from above with the dail due back a conspiracy theorist might say!

I never said blaming individual is wrong. I’ve said in previous posts that at least one and maybe more fucked up big time, because with my experience in this area and all the hoops to jump through people had to have messed up. My issue was two posters saying the anaesthetist should the “struck off, sued.” That’s my issue as it’s blaming someone who had no part of play in what happened here for no reason. Not everyone in that theatre complex(and I don’t know how many theatres temple street has) is at fault is my point.

This doesn’t happen otherwise. I think the surgeon in this story should face consequences because if what I’ve read is true then they have acted in a ridiculously reckless way.

Given i heard about this at least a year ago (child that died was operated on in May 21 so none of this is recent), the HSE kept any reviews from the Government (no surprise there), or Government knew all along this was coming down the tracks but couldn't say anything due to due process (no surprise there either), i think it's been publicised well enough. I'd say there's a lot going on behind the scenes here.

• Advertisement

Quite likely the government didn’t know about it. You’d be surprised at how bizarrely hands off the state is with healthcare. We seem to rely a lot on self regulation by professional bodies etc. The hospital in question isn’t a HSE / state owned one, even though it’s public.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Whilst i agree that posters shouldn't be rushing to judge, and indeed everyone should be aware that even posting as such here could affect any legal outcome, you are doing the exact same thing yourself by declaring people innocent when you have as much info as those posters do.

Well actually I worked in a part of the operating theatre of a hospital so I’m speaking from a position of some knowledge and I’d be very confident that an anaesthetist has no part to play.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Couldnt have said it better Fernanda Narrow Cereal - everyone in those operating rooms are complicit in these cases. But you do have to ask the question is it because the other members in the room are terrified of upsetting the god that is the consultant. Is whistle blowing frowned on in the HSE?

Have we got a case here similar to that US doctor Duntch whos assistants and even managers were afraid to call him out on botched back surgeries??

The whole lot stinks and I see the idiot Donnelly has now asked that the scope of the investigation be widened to include Crumlin childrens hospital , cappagh (where my daughter had her operation) and all childrens hospitals that carried out spinal surgeries - bit **** late for that now - he stated that no child would have to wait more than 4 months for spinal surgery - nothings changed - still huge waiting lists.

My opinion - theres a lot more **** to come out of these investigations.

For people that dont know the seriousness of whats going on and I for one am not willing to let this be forgotten come next election in 2024 - this is a before and after picture of my daughters spine - 76 degree curve before the op and now less than 10 degrees. Lung capacity increased to normal levels from less than 50% and she grew by 4 inches after the surgery. Kids who are operated on in a timely manner would actually come out better than this outcome - we waited 3 years for the surgery so to end with less than 10 degrees is a good outcome.

Theres kids out there with double this curve as in 150 degrees ,completely bent over and in agonising pain every single hour of every single day and no amount of pain medication works. Left like this for years on waiting lists with operations cancelled last minute - literally the morning its supposed to be done and then more months and years of waiting all the while its getting worse. Then you have a supposed care giver using non-approved implants , theres 2 kids who had to have 34 surgeries in temple street to fix things after this butcher got near them. My daughters one surgery was absolute hell on earth and thats no word of a lie - she was on morphine, ketamine, muscle relaxants after one operation - imagine going through it 34 times?? I just cant get my head around that - 34 surgeries - absolute disgrace.

The poor kids - my heart is broken here reading some of the details in the HSE report so apologies for the rant - my blood is absolutely boiling over this scandal.

That surgeon should be arrested and tried for assault, murder and attempted murder and locked up for a very very long time.

As for the government - this scandal should bring them down and force an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not saying those issues don't exist as anywhere you have humans working there will be some good , some bad.

My point is its not really what this is all about, grumpy unprofessional admin staff and consultants that don't prioritise clinic appointments while not great and off putting, are far from what is being discussed here .

I know from experience the many reasons why these things can happen but am in no way excusing any of it .

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

No words, just shocking, honestly don't know what or how to say it after reading that post and seeing the photo.

As I posted above, I don't get the lack of outrage at present. 5 pages and only a murmur in the media. Wonder do people not understand the gravity of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,916 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you believe that everything you read in ghe media about this is right, you're very naive.

The reality is likely a lot more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It is bizarre, what sort of surgeon would even think to do that.

Reminds me of the short cuts being taken in plastic surgery even though patients were always charged premium prices (use of industrial silicone in patients).

My point was that anytime I interact with the health services here it’s chaotic. Things that should work smoothly don’t. Information that should flow doesn’t. That shows obvious issues with systems and culture.

The systems should be in place that prevent something like this ever happening.

I read the CHI reports there and it’s interesting that they make observations about lack of data and systems too.

The one thing I didn’t find in those reports was benchmarks. The complication figures seem high, but I can’t do any meaningful analysis of the figures as no European or other figures were listed as comparison.

We need figures comparing with facilities in the U.K., somewhere in Western Europe and the U.S.

A consultant sourced non surgical grade springs and put them in childrens bodies.

The only complex issue will be the web created by people trying to protect themselves and ensure he doesn't take them down with him. Plenty of back tracking and deniabilty going on no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Many comments here are along the lines of "someone should have spoke up". This may be true, but the deeper lesson is proper procedures, which do not rely on someone speaking up but require 3 people to check the implant serial number etc and sign off on it before it is used. Medical science has looked at procedures in the airline industry. Airlines are very safe, despite flying around in the air, because they have evolved rigorous controls. They have checklists and the co-pilot has to sign off as well as the pilot. I haven't had too many dealings with hospitals, thank God, but when I did they said things like "right side" knowing well that it was on the left but they wanted me to correct them to be sure to be sure.

There needs to be rigorous, even mind numbing, procedures so that this kind of thing cannot happen regardless of the personalities involved. The likes of HIQA need to ensure that best international practice is in place everywhere, whether it suits or not.

• Yes, he produced the springs on the sly right after he pulled a bunny from out of a top hat to distract everyone.

Sure no one could’ve known.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Do you know how many years of training it takes to become a pediatric orthopedic surgeon? Like did this surgeon have a head injury or something? How did they decide to do this after decades of evidence based medical training. Would love some kind of explanation. And for what? What did they get out of it? They could never publish research like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭Tow

It has already been published that the strings were purchased by the HSE by their standard processes. He did not go down to Woodies to buy them, and pull them out of his pocket on the sly during the operation.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

The idea that the anaesthetists should be fired is bizarre as they almost certainly had no idea of the intricacies of a procedure, nor is it important to their core role in the operating theatre.

They’re not present for the equipment setup as they’re in the anaesthetic room anaesthetising the patient and once the patient is then on the table, the drape goes up and they don’t see below the head. Their sole role in the situation is to focus on keeping the patient alive, vitally stable and anaesthetised. They should not nor would they be focused on the ins and outs of a procedure. Nevermind the fact that it is one of hundreds of different procedures they anaesthetise for so they cannot possibly know an equipment check list or the steps involved for all of them nor is it their role to know this.

Agree totally what your saying, but the X-ray seeing the curve for the first time is a serious shock as you have grown along with the child and don’t realise how bad it has got and then to hear the degree of the curve, also to see the X-ray after surgery is also a serious shock to see what your child has got put into their body and all the pain and suffering they have had to put up with and the surgery kicked down the road for two years before the surgery,the surgeon at the centre of this was experimenting with the children and in my mind nothing is going to change that, due to the fact he was using non procedural products and the complicit people are as much to blame as him for purchasing the spring and standing back while he placed sub standard piece in to children’s bodies.

Several people had to have known beyond him. There’s no way nobody else didn’t know before hand.

The scoliosis fusion surgery procedure has not changed in any way in a long number of years and the product used has not changed, due to this operation is still the best way to correct the curve and research has shown not better method, one fact that has being missed here is that this is spinal surgery on the back with high risk to the spinal cord of children and prior to surgery it’s explained numerous times that this can be high risk so close to the cord and wrong incision can damage nerves and lead to complications For the rest of young people’s lives, this surgeon was putting unauthorised low grade steel into children’s backs, this is the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭jj880

This is absolutely shocking to read.

The parents are 100% correct not to rely on the HSE's "external" review. The HSE like to pretend these reviews are independent but I can tell you whatever individual or team they get in to do the review will be working hand in glove with the upper management of the hospital.

Absolutely disgusting whats happened and what lies ahead for these children and their families.

If this surgeon isnt jailed what kind of country are we living in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A few weeks ago it was reported that there were about 107000 adverse incidents and 550 deaths in HSE facilities in 2022. These numbers do not include incidents in voluntary hospitals like Temple Street and Cappagh. Yet the Irish public health service is hugely reliant on voluntary hospitals and would collapse entirely if they weren't providing services - so why were adverse incidents in these facilities not included in the figures?

This says a lot. Shambles of a system with huge structural problems and this influences everything from waiting lists to "IT issues" to terrible communication. This has been festering for decades. No matter what Stephen Donnelly or anyone else does now, they will barely scratch the surface. It's going to get worse, much worse, as the population grows and ages.

Advertisement