Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Titanfall 2 released inbetween both Call of Duty and Battlefield. All three released within a couple of weeks, but it meant Titanfall 2 was completely overshadowed and got lost in the mix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was badly marketed by EA as well. They had no belief in the game and the first I heard about it was the stellar Eurogamer review. Bought it on release due to that review and it was one of the best and most refreshing FPS campaigns since half life 2. Crying shame that respawn weren't allowed to follow up on it. Kind of feel like they've been wasted on the star wars games which were decent but hardly Titanfall 2 levels of incredible.

I really miss the infinity Ward campaigns, they were so far ahead of every other fps. Can't believe the opinion changed to Treyarch being the good CoD team because they were thought of as being very poor and their campaigns are still lacking outside of the first black ops which still doesn't hold a candle to the work by old infinity Ward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think I might have even preferred the multiplayer in Titanfall 1. Was a straightforward, no messin' affair, given they added a bunch of small additional mechanics on top in TF2. Still love TF2, and both are rare multiplayer games I was actually quite good at, and obviously the campaign is one of the best of its generation. But TF1 was still a masterful evolution on the 'peak' CoD formula of fast, fluid gunplay and big, gamechanging perks. Regardless, I played a lot of both - maybe the last FPS series I put any major time commitment into at all.

I remember getting it on 360, after everyone thought EA was 'suppressing' it for a few weeks to benefit the Xbox One version. But then the magicians at Bluepoint did their job and released a fully featured, extremely competent port, the theorising shifted to EA 'suppressing' it because it actually ran so well compared to its next-gen version!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Respawn also wouldn't give a 10 hour trail to EA Access/Play users at the time.

That left me feeling bitter, I know that 😆

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This talk of Titanfall reminds me of how the 'cloud' was going to make the Xbox one infinitely powerful. Not heard anything about that in an awful long time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Delighted to see TF2 in the limelight again but as someone who always has it installed and plays it regularly we have ben here before with a sudden upsurge from nowhere only to be like a ghost town after a month or so.

Hopefully this time its different.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ironically enough, it's actually in the leaked Xbox docs for their next console. Funny thing is that I'd actually think that they could pull it off now, whereas it was always impossible back on the Xbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Yes, Crackdown 3 as well. Powered by the cloud is raising its (ugly?) Head again in the leaks.

I say "ugly?" Because I'm not sure I like it. I mean what is the cloud? A server somewhere far away for most, over **** Internet (for most).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Apex legends is a completely different multiplayer experience than Titanfall though, its got an incredibly high 'buy in' as regards the skills you need to be any way competent, with layers of looting, health and shield management, on top of a very long TTK, which makes battles much more prolonged.

Titanfall multiplayer is more akin to Call of Duty, with great movement mechanics, and the titans serve a similar function to killstreaks.

Yes good points. Titans in Apex Legends wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement

Pilot V Pilot mode in Titanfall 2 MP is great

The movement skill ceiling is really high in TF2, them guys that can literally skate all over the map at high speed are gifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have The Crew Motorfest, but im just not feeling it. Have no interest in getting back to it. The IGN review of it is bang on in a lot of regards. It just feels a bit meh. For the most fun, you've to play with all assists off, but even if yiu do it appears the AI doesn't, so you've no hope at higher difficulty.

It makes me pine for a game that's less focused on real world cars. We need something like Burnout again, a game series with an actual feel of progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Did Boards get hacked last night? Kept auto forwarding me to some spam site.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭farreca

Same, I thought it was my phone. Kept forwarding to "explorenature" or something like that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not hacked, just an ad that really broke the rules. Pretty sure from the number of complaints raised on boards about it that the admins have talked to the ad provider about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I may not rate him as a game developer, but Hideo Kojima geeking out in Criterion's closet of films was kinda fun:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If Hideo Kojima can convince one additional person to watch Ugetsu Monogatari or Onibaba, we’ll forgive him for MGS4.

It's going to take a lot more from me. I still get nightmares about the submarine with the big boss mount Rushmore on the front.

Gave Payday 3 a go, went through the tutorials and was all set to start a game and I can't get past the match making. It doesn't give an error, it just keeps endlessly searching for a match. Bummer. Back to Starfield I go.

Edit: A day later and its still not working. What a disaster of a launch.

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

I got to play a few hours and its pretty meh, everybody just goes loud and it ends up being a a boring shootout then.

Gunplay is pretty uninspiring too so going loud isnt ideal.

Its still hard to beat Dep Rock Galactic for some co-op gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lots of gruesome deaths in gaming like Lara in the rebooted Tomb Raiders and Isaac in Dead Space. This is more understated but joins them in the Hall of Fame...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A game riffing on a movie that riffed on the game? Meta as F.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I visited the Golden Discs website and saw they are selling games and hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ah yeah, Talos Principle 2 out on 2nd November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Back in the game, so to speak. Still raging I missed their closing down blowout on Henry St, apparently it was a corker. Even worse, I popped my head in for a rummage and said wouldn’t bother with upstairs as they’re obviously not in games anymore.

3 guesses where they were keeping all the games?

Xbox live and PSN ain't got **** on this

Also the guy duct taped to the ceiling might be the greatest photo ever

FFS, why would you remind me what a colossal prat I was back in the 00s? 😂

They might have been drinking, smoking weed and banging chicks but we were pwning on de_dust2 pistols only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Some of the fondest memories I had of my childhood was when we could block book the local internet cafe to host a LAN party for about 6 of us and then the word would get out and we'd have 20 and the sheer carnage would be amazing. Full props to the two guys who knew what they were doing, not like me who just followed instructions on the printout I got on entry :D

Advertisement