Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,055 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

See now that is very different to your angry little rant about how anyone choosing a supplier from outside side the EU "should not be in business".

For some it is not possible or beneficial to switch from the UK to EU so it is a factor in a new trade deal.

Nobody here is suggesting that any changes should not be mutually beneficial but the idea the UK have "nothing to offer" is wrong. It might turn out they don't have or won't offer enough to get the EU back to the table though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

I think it's more a case of the Irish businesses who usually buy from Britain are mostly unaffected if it's not a next day delivery issue.

For many though who need a quick turnaround finding EU alternatives is critical. I know of a few medical companies that are currently switching away from British suppliers as the delays were too long, however in most cases the EU alternatives have mostly turned out to be cheaper and more crucially they're adherent to EU medical devices directives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@breezy1985 "your angry little rant"

Still no idea what you are talking about . But I will let you have the last word.

There are very different takes on Starmer's position on re-negotiating the TCA in the various news reports of his meeting with Macron.

The independent seem to see an invitation from France and Germany to encourage UK to become an associate member of the EU

They make much of a Franco/German paper published earlier this year.

"France and Germany are pushing plans to offer Britain and other European countries “associate membership” of the EU in a move that could rebuild the UK’s ties with the bloc. The two countries have tabled a blueprint that would create four new tiers, with the most aligned states forming an “inner circle”. Associate members, who would form the bloc’s first “outer tier”, could include members of the single market who are not in the EU, such as Switzerland, or “even the UK”, a paper put forward by France and Germany stated. Associate membership would not include a customs union, allowing Britain to keep an independent trade policy."

Meanwhile the BBC report is much tamer,

"A report out today by UK in a Changing Europe, a think tank, concludes that the scope for changing the Brexit deal - the Trade and Cooperation Agreement to give it its full title - is limited. It argues the EU's current mindset is to leave it pretty much as it is, as Brussels is fed up of talking about Brexit and has bigger priorities."

And the Tánaiste too seems to see difficulties in trying to renegotiate the TCA .

Obviously, it can be seen as positive that Starmer is willing to talk about Brexit. Bit, as far as I can see, the official Labour position is still to make Brexit work. Obviously, it would not be the role of the EU to aid with that policy

Finance minister McGrath expressed a note of caution. "The progress that we have made has been hard fought. And for now, I think the priority has to be to bed in the changes that have been agreed,

So I think we will be forgiven for saying that our focus for now is on ensuring that the agreement that we have is fully implemented, and that it operates smoothly and efficiently."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am not making any point.

Standards vary from country to country. The EU failed to get a new standard plug for the EU. It became a standard in Brazil though, despite that in Brazil, they use 220 v and 110 v using the same plug.

The EU doesn't want another Switzerland type relationship, so it's TCA or full membership.

The UK wasn't happy when it had opt outs, and giving them opt ins is unfair to all non EU/EEA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

Whatever adjustments the EU politicos might consider making to the TCA or with the UK in general, I can imagine that they really don't want to commit much effort to doing so. Brexit and the "negotiations" that followed were a massive time and energy sink for the EU, and had it not been for the risk to the Good Friday agreement I suspect the EU would have been satisfied to let the UK crash out with no deal. The UK were cantankerous, petty, arrogant, obnoxious, and were always acting in poor faith, confirmed recently by David Frost admitting in the House of Lords that they signed the TCA with no intention of honouring it. Small adjustments like changes to SPS or aligning to EU standards might be doable, provided the UK simply agree to whatever the EU want, however I'd be surprised if the EU have any real appetite to get back into substantive negotiations. The EU has far bigger fish to fry right now, the UK's request for significant changes to the current deal would, I reckon, end up on the back burner for a very long time.

tl;dr: Nobody wants that kind of drama again in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What Swampgas said. The EU has moved on from Brexit to bigger issues in a way that the UK hasn't. The UK's continuing Brexit issues don't really interest the EU, and there's no reason why the EU would be motivated to devote much time, effort or political capital to addressing them. To engage the EU's interest the UK would have to make a really strikingly attractive offer, and I don't think that political conditions in the UK are right for that yet.

That doesn't mean no change is possible. If there are existing models into which the UK would like to slot itself, the EU might be open to that. There has been much talk, for instance, of an SPS agreement with the EU and that probably is possible, but it would involve the UK (a) adopting EU SPS rules; (b) accepting ECJ as the ultimate arbiter of EU SPS rules; and (c) operating effective controls on its own borders. (A) and (b) involve some limited sacrificing of hard Brexit principles; I think the UK public is ready for that but expect the usual hyperventilation from the diehard Brexit True Believers. (C) involves the UK actually doing what in principle it is already committed to doing but which it has repeatedly deferred because doing it will be quite painful. But that pain might be politically palatable if it is seen to be coupled with a Brexit amelioration measure.

The UK has also expressed interest in an agreement for the mutual recognition of professional qualifications. I doubt the EU will be all that interested; the UK wants it because it would give the UK an advantage in the provision of professional services, and why would the EU want to do that? But, more to the point, it also looks like cherry-picking an aspect of the Single Market. SFAIK the EU does not have agreements for the mutual recognition of professional qualifications with other third countries; I don't see them being keen on one with the UK.

And, of course, there is also talk about a UK/EU agreement on refugees and asylum seekers. In principle this makes a lot of sense for both parties. They both face essentially a common problem; they both have difficulties dealing with it; and it's a problem that can only be effectively addressed by co-ordinated multilateral action. The difficulty here is, again, the UK political climate. Public discourse on this sees the UK's migrant problem as one that originates in France, and also cherishes the impression that the UK has a much bigger migrant problem than other countries. Neither of these is remotely true. EU will only be interested in a reality-based agreement that likely sees the UK receiving more migrants than it currently does, and also contributing to collective efforts to address the problem at source. Again, I'm not sure that the political climate in the UK is ready for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A huge risk would be that a right wing Tory Brexit regime could come back to power in 2030 and simply try and undo any new deal that had been signed. The EU would be well aware that they are dealing with a dysfunctional basket case of a country and would not be prepared to commit to anything unless they can be convinced politics has returned to normal in the UK (which seems a very long way off).

Additionally, regardless of which party is in power, the UK never really bought into the EU concept, except as a trading block. Politically the UK seems to have drifted closer and closer to the US, which gets in the way of closer alignment with traditional EU thinking.

And remember, Brexit was only partly about Britain going its own way - it was also supposed to bring about the collapse of the EU. I can't see anyone in the EU forgetting that in a hurry.

Possibly the UK might end up with "EU Lite" status in time, but as for a full seat at the table - not a chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Blair seemed to be fond enough of the project. I'm a bit young to be remembering but I saw a video of him calling out Nigel Farage which I found convincing.

New Labour were a bit of a flash in the pan though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

I know a few people I’ve spoken to in EU circles saw the U.K. attempting to kick the EU hard during the pandemic and during the early stages of the invasion of Ukraine, mostly while Johnson was in charge.

A lot of people felt that even to continue with the Brexit crap as the pandemic struck was just unbelievable. They understood Brexit, but saw no reason why it couldn’t have been placed on pause due to a global emergency during which cooperation was really important. Plenty of non EU countries immediately offered to cooperate and work with neighbours and supported broad pan European approaches.

I’ve also seen shocked commentary in multiple places, not just the EU about the way the tories were willing to use Northern Ireland, which is one of the most unstable places in Europe and has only very recently achieved peace. None of that mattered a damn to the Brexiteers and they undid a huge amount of delicate and incredibly positive work by people on all sides of politics. Quite honestly the current UK political elite are probably the worst group of British politicians I’ve ever seen. It will take a long time to rebuild trust.

There’s a need for a new generation of quality political leadership, but I just don’t see where it’s going to come from.

True. Unfortunately Blair siding with Bush over Iraq didn't help with UK / EU unity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fair point. Iraq was the first major breach of trust between a modern British government and the public. It did so much more damage than people realise.

Blair seemed to be geniune but Cameron cynically went from pandering to the Eurosceptics to suddenly advocating remaining in the entity which was allegedly the cause of all their ills.

While we do need new leadership, we also need to eject the current Conservative party as a matter of urgency.

Starmer is likely to be more like Joe Biden than anyone else, ie a steady hand at the wheel with a few policies he'll grind on. If we don't see significant political reform by 2026-2027, forget about it for a generation. I'm hoping that he can be lobbied to introduce PR if nothing else. There'll never be a better opportunity given how the right have debased themselves so thoroughly.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The Brexiteers are almost schizophrenic. The EEC / EU states were close friends and allies for the last 50 years, but in the fevered minds of these cranks, the EU had become a rival and was trying to screw Britain over. All of that Europe bashing for decades left its mark on them - they had to leave the phantom oppressive EU they had created in their own heads. Now that they're out, nothing has changed for them.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think you are overcomplicating it; for them they beat the krauts and liberated the surrender monkies and hence should clearly be the once leading Europe. Everything else spins of from that point; how dare they not listen to the Brits for how things should be done in EU etc. I honestly think a generation or two needs to die off in the UK before they can actually drop their historical garbled version of history and chips on their shoulders that they carry with them. Remember the cranks are not the once who actually was part of WW2 but the later generation who glorified what was going with rose tinted glasses of the "glorious days" and the stiff upper lip spirit etc.

Absolutely. As you say, one wonders if relations between the UK and the EU can normalise at all in the next few decades with so many deeply Europhobic cranks in politics (especially the Tory Party) and the media. It's as if they are infected with a virus.

Somebody should write an alternative history showing how the world would be today if Blair had togged out with European partners rather than with Bush in relation to the invasion of Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

You think it would have been easier to change God's mind than Tony Blair's? 😉

It's odd how often god tells people in power exactly what they want to hear, though, isn't it? 🤔 Y'know, maybe just maybe they're fibbing!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Well in the British legal definition of itself the head of state is god's anointed representative on earth, and parliament are sovereign on the monarchs behalf, ergo gods government.

Labour may be handed a massive majority at the next election, but I wonder will a further to the right wing party take the Tory's place?

Starmer being very evasive on the subject of Single Market membership. Not sure he's doing himself any favours here - the pro-Brexit crowd can't stand him and wouldn't dream of voting for him so God knows who this evasiveness is aimed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

He's right, though - there is no case for going back into the EU. The reasons for leaving - primarily xenophobic isolationism - are still alive and well in Britain. Just because a growing number of people realise that Brexit came with a (not particularly well) hidden cost, doesn't mean they're ready to sign up for Freedom of Movement, for example, so as to be part of the Single Market again.

Phil Moorehouse regularly points out that "demanding" the UK gets back into the EU is counterproductive, because it will be decades before the EU is ready to even consider an application. The way forward is first to work with the crappy deal agreed by the Tories, then to introduce dynamic alignment in areas where it is not especially contentious, followed by areas where it might be contentious but is at least advantageous for Britain, and only after that's done to start working on a membership application.

I was no fan of Corbyn but I'm thoroughly sick of Starmer at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Fine. But much like in the US the upcoming GE is a straight decision between Sunak, and the Tories, or Starmer.

After 13 years of Tory government almost every metric is worse than when they took over.

So the choice is to continue with something that is clearly not working or giving something else a try.

You can dislike Starmer all you want, but he is the only alternative available

Exactly. Seeing that Brexit was a bad idea and wanting a whole rehash of the arguments (and that's assuming the EU wants the UK back in) are wholly different things.

I'll take Starmer over Corbyn any day. Corbyn was a Brexiter who sabotaged the remain campaign and probably would have done nothing to support Ukraine. One of the most contemptible figures in UK politics IMO.

If EU freedom of movement was to blame for low growth since 2008 who is the British public going to blame for another decade of low growth free of the EU?

The EU was the external enemy, I guess they'll seek an internal enemy next.

The peculiar thing about Labour's stance is that it seems to be saying that Brexit is fixed and settled and was essentially a good idea and is a good fit for the UK. Those who are thinking that the UK might return to the Single Market in the next 25 years are probably being hugely optimistic - to even hint that you are in favour of this is seemingly a big taboo and controversial viewpoint.

• Advertisement

Starmer says that low growth isn't down to Brexit - essentially trying to cover for Brexit and defend it from criticism (!).

He's surely being hugely disingenuous here. There's no way he doesn't believe Brexit is a disaster which has seriously harmed Britain, but apparently even to hint at this in public is strictly verboten.

Advertisement