Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Haha, yes makes our hobby even more addictive 😁

But there is only so far you can go up with battery size and stlll be able to use it. For a moment I even played with the idea of selling some of my batteries as there is no way to fill them in 3 hours of night rate, neither is there a point to fill them during the day as just selling directly to the grid makes more sense. I quickly came to my senses though as the next phase will be agile style rates where at some point we could be punished for selling to the grid during the day and it would make total sense to store during the day and then sell in early evening when the wholesale price of electricity is huge. For this the more storage and storing power you have, the better...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It was, but you had 2000kwh to play with.

7.9 to 14ish, the bill that I went over it averaged 11c

Just perusing the energia website just incase any offers pop up.

They now offer a smart day night that has the same rates (and standing charge!) As the mcc02 rates. But with "smart insights"

But same as any other smart plan, there's no returning to mcc02

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Finally got Pinergy to confirm that I'm getting the €100 credit and the 5c boost rate.

Asked them to confirm in email but nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,232 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Should've asked for a fax just to see what they say 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

In reality - you need to go to bonkers.ie and have a look. The level of obfuscation that goes on trying to compare suppliers is nuts. Various people (some on this forum) have done pretty good job in creating spreadsheets, but it's hard to keep track of all the various offers that come in. Some will be things like €100 bonus for joining, or 2% off if you sign up to online billing, etc etc etc .....and really it depends so much on your situation how many units you use, are you rural/urban

It's a free market economy and as much as I disklike it....they are entitled to each have their own "offers" - but its pretty sad that it has effectively left customers like me/you with very little clue to which supplier to go to without spending time in Excel. www.Bonkers.ie is probably your friend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Slightly off-topic, but is anyone with SSE and signed up to their e-billing option? Wondering if it's sent as an email attachment or requires logging into the portal to view/download?

They confirmed that to me 3 times. In all cases I asked for an email confirmation, they promised each time, but it never happened 🙄

Yeah - it might take awhile, but I do think that agile tariff will eventually come into play in Ireland. Some supplier will be a maverick and figure out they can make buck on it, and that will be that.

My goal isn't really to make a shed load of money out of the solar installation/battery exporting, as odd as that sounds - lol! With the whole tax implication. if I get bills like I had there over the summer of €7, I think that's a "win".

Aside: I didn't even pay the €7. I still have some ~€300 in credit from the government lodgments - probably likely that I'll go 12 months+ of no actual payments.

Solar-for-the-win(tm)

Dump & pump

• Advertisement

Got the email tonight. Confirming that I'm eligible, "provided I signed up via the correct link".

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I already told them that I signed up 3 times. Once using the standard Pinergy page, twice using one of the €100 referral links.

The account number that is listed on my app is the one from the standard page. Account page in the app shows my level pay figure, but no €100 credit.

They'd better not try and shaft me by saying that I used the wrong page. Going to ring them tomorrow and not get off the phone til it's all confirmed and finished. Their customer service is lacking.

That's to put it mildly @DrPhilG 😂

Still not data in the app. Will have to ring again tomorrow if that remains to be the case. Did you get email confirmation that the 5c tariff is indeed unlimited?

Didn't confirm the unlimited aspect. I'll call tomorrow and ask for a supervisor. Fed up chasing my tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yer not for me as sticking with pinergy beyond the end of my 2 year contract in may. But though may help others who have lower charging rates and can't do it in three hours

• Registered Users Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That seems like an ordeal Phil. Are Pinergy at fault for the long cutover or what's the cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

recieved second letter from ESBN yesterday with TLI su header so that means its on the contractor list for change over the next 2-3 weeks.

never got a battery for my solar array , and with WFH and EV , i was exporting only about 25% , deemed export FIT worked out ok.

anyone know with current FIT, battery prices, unit rates etc, if it’s worthwhile getting a battery to do charge/dump cycles .

I’m thinking suppliers will eventually limit night units if they think they are losing out .

Not sure the cutover is that unusual, I remember having a week or so of uncertainty last time too when I moved SSE to Energia.

It's their ambiguity on confirming the rates is what's irritating me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

You must be close now to being confirmed as switched @DrPhilG . Probably worth checking today, and over the weekend

Going by the app, I'm suspicious that they're not applying the credit. Level pay number is there, but no credit balance.

• Advertisement

Still no data in my Pinergy app either. On the phone to them right now and yet another staff member who has never heard of the Cooline plan before. I mean, seriously?🙄

Getting them to confirm by email again, the 5th time. I doubt the email will ever be sent...

Just off the phone again, got the same guy I spoke to the first day, who also sent the email last night.

I called him out on how vague the email confirmation had been and he promised to send a new confirmation email in the next 5 minutes confirming that I AM getting the €100 & 5c rate, not "should be" getting it.

Well fair play...

Another question...

I called Energia to ask if they had received the request yet from Pinergy to transfer the property and they said they hadn't. But they also said that once they got the request, my account would be transferred from the date of my original sign up, which was the 16th.

Does that mean that my billing from the 16th onwards will all be billed at the Pinergy rates and times? I thought I'd be billed by Energia until such times as Pinergy goes live.

I've been using energy at any and all times based on being at Energia 24hr rates whereas I should have been working to the Pinergy schedule and charging 2-5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

Well I personally used nothing whatsoever until I got the nod from Pinergy.

I wouldn't trust Energia. They have zero interest in you leaving. Pinergy will confirm the initial flag and the final confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Does that mean that my billing from the 16th onwards will all be billed at the Pinergy rates and times?

Not sure about new smart meter procedures but it was always based on the final reading, which you logged yourself at the point of signing up.

Maybe with smart meters it will be smarter! 😂

Well my point is I need to use power regardless because the weather stinks, so better to use it between 2 and 5 just in case.

Suppose the best time now to switch is the summer when we're using nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭jasgrif11

Currently have a standard day/night meter and the time seems to be 1 hour 4mins behind local time.

Is this messing with my HA automation if im planning stuff to power on/off based on tarrifs?

Or does it not matter given there are two separate readings (day/night) and the utility company just charges based in that?

Roll on SM install!

Remember DN is on UTC and doesn't change. 12-9 now, 23-8 after Oct.

It's only 4 minutes out.

• Advertisement

So what's the maximum load the average Irish house can manage without blowing something?

7.2kW - Zappi

3.1kW - Eddi

4.6kW - LiFePo4

That's almost 15kW before I add in washing machine, dishwasher, well filtration rinse cycle, and in winter I would run electric heaters too. Could easily hit 24kW at peak which I'm guessing is way too much.

Advertisement