Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

There is definitely still a whole cohort of people who haven't grasped the system.

Played with a guy recently who was telling me that he'd shot 36 points recently and that "They" had cut him by 0.5 for it. Tried to explain that there's no "they" deciding on the cuts, but was a struggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly this. There's a huge group of players with maybe 20, 30, 40 years of golfing under CONGU in their brains and they simply can't grasp how 36 pts or maybe even 33 or 34 pts can get a cut. There's nothing underhand about it, they're just conditioned to think of handicap a certain way. When my regular group are chatting about it, the question that is often asked is "how can we both shoot 36pts and you'll get cut and I'll might not or might even get an increase" ?

It's a real shame COVID meant the GUI had to cancel all the presentations to the clubs about WHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

The people interested enough to go to a presentation have read up on it anyway, so are in the same position now that they'd have been in had there been no COVID. Same for the other group.

Don't really agree with this tbh. And I'm certainly not blaming anyone for not knowing WHS. While there's no doubt some would have read up, I think plenty of the older generation of players have only a very cursory knowledge of the system and they kind of know "....its something to do with your average or something....". There are still many out there who aren't really used to looking stuff up online and who get irritated when then answer to a query is "its on the website". I think most golfers, if they knew the GUI were visiting their club and doing a presentation, would attend, but not nearly as many would be ar$ed looking something up or possibly able to. Obviously that's not very scientific, but purely from observation and conversations in my own club, which granted would have an older-ish age profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭OEP

Surely each club's handicap committee could do it. It's not the most complicated thing in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Does it actually matter at all whether someone understands the intricacies of WHS? In my opinion, no.

What does matter us than scores are accurate and returned.

if it’s integrity we are after: the deterrent created through a fining / banning system for offenders would, in my opinion, completely outstrip the benefits of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

They don't need at top to bottom understanding, but people who moan about it should broadly understand it. And if someone is giving out about their handicap going up when they shoot 35 point or down when they shoot 37 they don't broadly understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Not a topic of conversation in our bar after games. No one cares about who is playing well or not or their handicap. I certainly wouldn't be listening to any of that whinging anyway 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Deleted - apologies - missed the date on the comment thought it was just asked!!!

Post edited by Innish_Rebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The WHS is not fit for purpose in my opinion in relation to competitions, it is an excellent system for social golf if you want to get a handicap.

In the old system it was a slow process to get a shot back, e.g. up to 10 bad scores in competitions so that could be 1-3 months for most.

As with probably a lot of clubs, our club have several players who can win a Cup competition and then within 1-2 weeks be off an even higher handicap for the next Cup competition. I realise that the handicap secretary should review that though in all instances they are volunteers and there are always politics involved.

It is interesting to see if you check your counting scores using the old system taking what the norm was for CSS off the blues, whites, etc and then compare it to the WHS. The lower handicap players struggle to move up, I am speaking from experience, as our 9th-15th scores are probably closer to our handicaps than higher handicap players. I have several green counting scores which would have been .1 back in the old system.

Just an observation as it is up to me whether I decide to play in competitions but I have found that I cannot compete; I shot my lowest score earlier this year in 34 years and came 8th:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

handicap secretary should review 

i read a letter from a club to its members recently indicating they will take action against what they were effectively calling handicap cheats, based on recommendations from golf Ireland and whs.

that’s all fine and dandy but in my option that is a clear indication of a system which is not working when it is expected that people have to manually intervene

Exactly this ^^ The fact that an intervention is necessary or almost necessary is pretty damning on the system and/or on the people.

I'd wonder though, is it the system is not working, or is it the system is working exactly as its supposed to but people can't get their heads round the change (or maybe accept the change) from CONGU, that's the problem ? Its almost like someone is saying "yes under WHS your handicap will be much more volatile and moveable than before" but at the same time saying "but we don't want it to be too moveable, it doesn't sit right with us, a 10 handicapper should still be a 10 handicapper"

Its probably a bit of both in fairness but honestly I think there's still an element of the worst thing you can ever do in a golf club is win something, and if somebody does, they need to be punished/cut. Even a genuine guy who isn't a handicap cheat, if he's in a real bad run of form, will see his index go up, possibly by quite a bit - chances are at some point he'll find his form and do a good score. Seems like its easy to lump him in with the others.

I really can't see how the handicap secretary should almost ever need to review anything now tbh other than a cursory look at any outliers that might be flagged. Its not like under CONGU where a cut would be lasting for a lot longer. Any cut will likely be gone after a month or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Ah I dunno Russman.

An exceptional scoring cut can decimate a man’s index.

The hard and soft caps then keep that player within the realms of that index for 12 months.

——

I know that some of you are convinced that there are master bandits out there who use a form of outrageous coordination, intuition, communications and general skullduggery to ensure that win they win a big one, it’s by the smallest of margins.

They used to write fairytales about wizards like this. Now it seems, somehow they’re everywhere?

——

I also know there are some people on here are convinced that 2 strokes difference in a handicap is huge. I suppose it is if you’re in low figures. But for most of us it matters little to none. Me playing off 18 or 20 doesn't make it any more or less likely I’ll be in control on my swing on any given day. the additional 2 points I can write down in my card if playing off 20 will matter little apart from on the rarest of days.

——

Im not telling you that WHS is perfect. But when there’s 100+ people going for the same prize, it’ll almost always boil down to the winner having outrageous luck in a spot or two, and the chasing pack falling back onto their own hard luck stories, and those in the “peloton” wondering what they have to do to get closer, and blaming the gap on Lance Armstrong style cheating.

that’s the real numbers at play. Not handicaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just read last night that GI have removed the ‘set initial handicap’ from the handicapping software. Does this mean now that new players will play a number of GP rounds to build up to a handicap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭OEP

I think it's more indicative of the people rather than the system. They'll try and game any system.

But I don't think it's nearly as big a problem as some people on here are making out to be. It also seems to be club dependent for whatever reason. My club only has high winning scores the odd time, low handicap players seem to feature in the prizes a lot more frequently than high handicap players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

New players should have to play 20 rounds before they can enter a competition.

Anything else is a nonsense.

Disagree here

3 cards was always sufficient and it should be no different just because of WHS. possible exceptions for majors and I think you must have a full handicap to play inter club.

a friend recently got his handicap and I watched it all the way from his 3 cards to over 20. Handicap has dropped by about 2 full shots. I’d put it down to playing and improving as opposed to his handicap being wrong. He won one prize in over 20 comps and it was a 9 hole with 20 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Does anyone know the rules on entering an open or semi open competition under the new system. In the old system you had to have returned 3 cards that season for a qualifying handicap to enter an open.

Do you need to have submitted 20 scores in the new system? It’s not a golf Ireland comp per se that I know require fully developed handicap. Thanks!

No once you have valid handicap you should be able to enter any open, unless something big like a scratch cup etc I imagine

also I think you are incorrect about the old system, 3 cards in the current season was not required to enter opens or make your handicap valid. I think handicap stayed valid for 12 months after last qualifying round

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gerrykeegan

In 2022 I played the best golf of my life over a short period of time resulting in a huge reduction from 16 to 11.7 on the WHS. (24/9/22) I then struggled all winter with handicap frozen until scoring resumed. I am in the soft/hard cap zone now and wondered when it might finish. I thought that after 23/9/23 it would (being 365days) but Golf Ireland have said it will not be until April 24 as that is when scoring resumed in my club and when scoring resumed I was on 11.7. It seems harsh, I thought the caps were for a year but in my case 20 months! Anyone else experience this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭boccy23

Funnily enough, that's exactly the same position I find myself in this year. Played superbly, or at least scored superbly, for about a month last year and was down to 12.7. This year I have been up against the cap and and playing off of 13 on the home course and struggling. Probably more mental now than anything, but very frustrating. I have a series of counting scores to come off and now I'm not sure if that will make any difference as the cap seems set in place.

You are correct, it is a rolling 12 months from date of lowest index.

When you played in April you were off 11.7 so I don’t understand where you are getting 20 months from.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gerrykeegan

I played in September off 11.7. (Sept 22 to April 24 is 20 months) Now my understanding is that the 12 months is from the most recent date of lowest point as in April 23. If in September 22 we were still qualifying and say I went out .1, then the hard/soft cap would have finished in Sept 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

If you got down to 11.7 in September 2022, and there was no counting rounds played until April 23, then you would still be off 11.7 in April 23. 11.7 in April 2023 remains your Low Index point.

When you reached 14.7, the Soft Cap (+3 from Low Index) came in, throttling your rate of handicap increase by 50%. If you reached 16.7, then Hard Cap (+5 from Low Index) applies and you can have no further increase until after April 2024.

Say in May 2024 you're still going bad, then your Low Index will be from May 2023 and would be higher, perhaps 11.9 and so you could go to 16.9 before Hard Cap would stop further increases.

You played in April 2023 off 11.7 though.

if you played one more game as you say in September 2022 and went out .1 then you would have played off 11.8 in April 2023 so not much difference.

the hard and soft cap are rolling, they don’t finish. It’s your lowest in the last 12 months.

you say you had a reduction in 2022 because you played well. I personally wouldn’t think 4.3 cut over the year is a huge reduction.

what are you at now and what do you think you should be at?

stick your score differentials and dates up and we can analyse them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Could people above play general play on a links to overcome this..

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭fungie

How would a links course make any difference? They use the same system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Ronney

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭fungie

I'm not sure that's true. Lots close fairways and playing off mats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Ronney

Advertisement