Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Odelay

The Rophuca landing ship that was in the dock beside it will be headed to the same place. The hull looked bent.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Sustainable or unsustainable,,if Russia defeats Ukraine, current losses will be minor compared to what Putin will inflict on Ukraine. And that's the bottom line. There arec no choices.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I was just reading that. Crazy stuff pissing off a good neighbour.

It also begs the bigger question of how could Ukraine be integrated with the EU/cap if they were to be ever let join

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's likely one of the key reasons the ruling Polish party are doing this to satiate the far right (polling third) due to upcoming elections in which they might be "king-makers"

Interesting to see you on the same page as Putin (again) who is also celebrating this.

• Advertisement

While myself and Putin both might not want to see Ukraine in the EU. It's for completely different reasons.

They will undermine food producers across the EU and nobody will care. We are increasingly unlikely to even receive any additional supports as compensation for such a move.

Wouldn't care really if Serbia or Georgia joined but I don't think the EU can absorb Ukraine without lots of us losing out in a big way and that's before taking into account that Europe's economy looks to be entering an increasingly difficult period.

As Ukraine is being invaded, you, like Putin, support their setbacks because you, like Putin, don't want Ukraine to be in the EU.

The only difference is yours is based on vapid speculative "concerns" about possible EU membership

People are being slaughtered, waves of missiles are hitting a European capital, energy prices have soared due to the invasion, inflation has skyrocketed, massive international instability and your concern is that "the attacked nation might join the EU", "grain prices maybe might go up I think".

Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Were you outside the Dail yesterday with the brethren

Slava Ukrainii

I never supported their setbacks. All of this is what it is and it's not something I've gotten emotionally involved with unlike some posters seem to have.

Reality is, this is between Ukraine and Russia. EU countries owe Ukraine nothing and we have no obligation to provide them with anything especially not EU membership.

Europe's focus should be on strengthening itself from within. All these shifts to the far right are a sign that there is problems that need to be addressed across Europe.

Poland will turn out to be a non story. There's a few things going on around it.

Poland has actually delivered all the weapons they had committed to, which gives space for the comments made, they're putting no arms shipments in danger.

PiS want to stay in power and they figure they need to appeal to the right and nationalists in Poland in the forthcoming election, so ra-ra look at us hard lads.

There's an element of tit for tat around the stupid grain spat. If Poland had an actual axe to grind they'd stop the transshipment of weapons etc across their border.

But they won't for an existential reason, it's not in Poland's national interest for anything apart from a Ukrainian victory in this war. They don't want another orc vassal state on their border, who would.

There's something else I'm forgetting because I've been awake far too long and had way too much coffee.

Remembered. It's going to be spun so much as to make a person dizzy. Refer to the existential threat for antidote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Thanks, you gave me a great laugh when I saw that!

Oh look. How absolutely shocked am I ?? That took forever and a day 🙄

Slava Ukrainii

Ukraine need all the support it can get so why piss off their neighbours who have been helping big time. No British or French presidents at the UN summit didn't look good for Zelensky. Ukraine aren't going to get another massive supply of armour like they did for this offensive.

• Advertisement

Your comments have a constant theme of gunning for Ukraine to fail based on bizarre personal views expressed here. Including that the EU shouldn't be helping Ukraine, nor should it become a member of the EU.

To use an analogy, if Ireland weren't a member and we were similarly invaded by Russia, and Irish people were being slaughtered, according to your views expressed here that would be "between Russia and Ireland", EU nations would "owe us nothing" and we certainly shouldn't be granted membership of the EU

Like we were in the past, Ukraine is a poor country, trying to join the EU. Unlike us, they are being blown to pieces for trying to do so. According to you they shouldn't getting the same opportunities we did, that EU countries shouldn't be supporting their neighbour while their graveyards fill up daily with people too young to die, that we abandon fellow Europeans in their time of need. Really strong European ideals and principles you're expressing there.

Ukraine are reliant on grain sales, as vital income, which is essential to keep the country alive in a time of war. They do have a point about the grain.

Anyway the issue is more about Polish internal politics, the leading party is trying to stay in power, the third place party could dictate that, they happen to be the far-right party (who want Poland to focus less on Ukraine, and advocate for less help for Poland, sound familiar?), hence we're getting these shenanigans timed right before the elections (by a remarkable coincidence)

I don't know the entire in's and out's of the grain issue, it's not interesting to me tbh while it's really quite important to Ukraine. I have heard they use donated money to keep the country going, while the money their economy produces, of which grain would be an important part, is used to fund the war. Grain is important to all the countries concerned for different reasons. In the course of sticking up for a nations interests, ego's and feelings are going to get bent out of shape along the way. This is healthy, if uncomfortable in the current climate. The last thing Ukraine should do, imo, is appear as paupers. They're a sovereign nation defending their right to exist and reclaim it's borders and frankly if the collective democratic nations would pull their fingers out of their rings this war would be finished already.

The idyllic future that awaits us over the next 5 years if things keep going the way they are.

Sinn Fein in power.

Raids on your pension money by sinn Fein.

EU getting rid of need for unanimous agreement.

Our corporate tax rates under increasing pressure that we won't be able to stop.

Sinn Fein needing to take more money from pensions to make up for that.

Ukraine draining vast amounts of EU money.

Farm payments heavily reduced because Ukraine will increase farmland area of EU by 25%

More pressure on farm incomes as Ukrainian food floods our markets and is used to pull prices down.

For how long will the rest of the world keep sending money into Ukraine. When it might be a waste of time to keep attacking the Russian lines if they can't make progress. It's looking like the past few months didn't work out for them with their casualties skyrocketing I can't see them taking back all their land at this stage.

Slava Ukrainii

Anyone following events - as opposed to ruzzian disinformation efforts - can see the progress that has been made. It's incorrect to say they haven't or aren't making any. AFAIK Ukraine hasn't released casualty figures.

I do see them taking back all of their territory. I've been saying it for many, many months. The cost of not enabling Ukraine to do so is far, far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Field east

I am wondering what effect it might have on the war if and when UKr make the Kersh bridge unusable - just needs one BIG bomb or a number of small ones at the same time ideally AND the cutting of the supply lines by land from the north and into Crimea - just needs a few strategically targeted bombs

Commitments are there for years. This might take years.

They are reducing Russia's war machine (over 12k vehicles, aircraft, and equipment of all types so far) and reducing Putin's ability to invade themselves and other countries and territories (Moldova, Transnistria, Georgia, etc), and sapping the Russian will to invade (Ru increasingly relying on conscripts, prisoners). Unfortunately, Ukraine may not be able to liberate every inch of their territory, but that decision is up to them, as well as the decision to go to the table.

It's a huge cost for Ukraine in terms of sacrifice, blood, lives, but they didn't choose this situation, they did however chosen to defend themselves to give their people and children some sort of future, and that's what they are fighting for, as well as reclaiming as much of their homeland as they can.

Of course, if they had all this aid from the very beginning, with no limits, I strongly suspect Russia would be in a very much worse position.

There's been a high cost to us for appeasing Putin all these years, for being reliant on a dictator for our energy, for indirectly funding his war chest. Now we are paying the cost for his creeping invasion of Europe. It's a much lower cost than the Ukrainians are paying.

As for all the military stock in Europe, it was designed for this particular situation. They should send as much of it as they can, otherwise it's just sitting in warehouses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

"Raids on your pension money by sinn Fein"

Would that be a first for Political party in this country?

Advertisement