Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Really, it looked like a bunch of low life spongers to me. I have no doubt their various "carers/ disability " benefits will come under fairly close scrutiny now.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭creeper1

Yeah. I think they do need some focus.

Wasn't it supposed to be against the hate speech laws that the politicians are trying to pass?

That would be a worthy thing to protest. These laws they are trying to push are just like something out of George Orwell's novels.

Freedom of speech. Freedom of assembly. Freedom of assembly. These are all great things that must be protected.

And like the far right morons in the USA they would cry like babies if in court and facing jail.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A protest that included physical assaults, theft and let us not forget , people throwing bottles of piss at Gardai.

But sure , "a vocal protest , nothing more"

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Having worked in the Dail for 5 years (2011-2016), I have seen plenty of protests in my time - usually there are protests outside the Dáil to some degree on specific issues, sometimes individuals, most quite small but sometimes large ones.

Some of the protests I have seen were by complete extremists. A small minority of the anti-choice protestors were really, really out there, throwing salt and holy water around with one or two of the small minority engaging in pushing and shoving.

But what was on display yesterday - bringing a gallows and making threats to politicians of all parties and none, along with ordinary staff (most staff in Leinster House do not actually work for any politician) while throwing bottles of piss around is a whole other level beyond anything that I have ever seen. It is shocking stuff.

I am not sure if I believe exclusion zones are a good idea - I'd suggest arresting, bringing before the court, and denial of bail before eventually granting it, then bringing them quickly to trial would be a better approach for most of them. The ringleaders should be denied leave to apply for bail and treated harshly.

Any more extreme carry on after that outside the Dáil, send in the public order squad to deal with it and carry out a very swift application of the legal system - arrest, denial of bail, leave to get bail, and a trial shortly after.

I have also had my boss (I worked for a TD) with his house plagued by protestors for days and that was nothing short of terrifying, particularly for his family. Colleagues who worked for TDs and held advice clinics for them have been assaulted and threatened with violent acts - beatings, rapes etc.

It's unacceptable to treat elected representatives or their staff like this.

Anyone who thinks that what went on yesterday (or the other things I described) is in any way justifiable or acceptable needs to take a good look at themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm not so sure to be honest. People can have radical views without being part of a political movement. These are more conspiracy theory nuts than genuine right wingers.

Looking at the videos, it doesn't look like there's an employed person among them. Social Welfare doesn't really seem particularly far right to me?

And how that fella in the green jumper and peaky blinder cap who has been going around the country threatening female librarians for months hasn't been either locked up or given a hiding is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Exactly there ideology is just say NO to everything. They are scroungers so really they are far left but are also racist, homophobic and xenophobic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The hate laws would probably protect the haters just as much as the people they hate, as if people are allowed to be verbally abusive a-holes, they're likely to get physically attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think its a mistake to smugly talk about how 'public opinion' doesn't favour these protestors.

Anyone could have guessed beforehand that dumping third world immigrants en masse into the poorest areas of Dublin was asking for trouble. Was/is it really necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I was walking past that protest yesterday and I couldn't understand a word being said, just loads of people screeching and cursing, sounded like a sketch show being recorded where the population has gone feral. And all the ireland flags made it look like a paddys day episode of the walking dead

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No no. You can’t say that. Yesterday was only a few lads shouting and roaring. T’was grand.

On a serious not, very sorry that happened to you in your line of work, and the TD which you worked for.

Unfortunately, your lived experience doesn’t matter a jot to some people here who think there is nothing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Though there seems to be considerable overlap between the far right and the conspiracy theory crowd these days. Not just in Ireland : look at GB News for example, where you have Farage and Rees Mogg on with a load of conspiracy theory nuts like Neil Oliver.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What do you think of a gallows and effigies of many politicians being brought outside Leinster House yesterday?

Is that acceptable, in your view?

Yes or no answer will suffice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Public opinion does not favour THOSE protesters.

There may well be support for increased immigration controls or improvements to the asylum process and if there is , it should be reflected at the ballot box.

But there should never be support for that kind of "protest" - NEVER.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just for clarity, are you unequivocally condoning or condemning the behaviour yesterday?

It wasn't even an anti immigration protest though, it was just a bored, unemployed mob getting together for a "peaceful protest". If Leo turned around tomorrow and said no more, borders closed, deporting all these lads back to where they came from, they would just move onto something else.

The ring leaders just like the attention and the hanger ons like been in mob and getting in gaurds and politicans faces.

I don't think you understood my comment. I didn't say public opinion favoured those protestors.

I said I think its a mistake to smugly talk about how public opinion doesn't favour these protestors.

Working-class Dubs from areas that have had third world immigrants dumped on them in huge numbers are reacting extremely regardless of whether the wider public has any sympathy for them or not. Does simply noting that they're in a numerical minority make it wise to piss all over them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

These are just a bunch of angry losers who've fucked up their lives and are projecting their failures onto everyone else. Its garden variety loserville.

Theyre the same few dozen every time. From 5 million people.

Few cans, shout "OUT OUT OUT" at anyone and piss off home to post videos on Facebook.

My impression is that the huge foreign population influx into these areas are what has people so stirred up. Though the protest itself did seem to be a mishmash of various 'causes'.

• Advertisement

Abusing a TD from Kerry and shoving his young American female assistant and stealing her phone isn't a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think you'll find they would have been the same sort dribbling out the same scutter against the Polish 20 years ago.

Its the same crowd from the water charges protests, same crowd from the "your trying to turn my child gay" protests, abusing library staff etc.

These people haven't the faintest idea about immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Can we do one for one swaps, third world country gets a criminal from a multi generational welfare family, we get a lucky survivor who is desperate for an opportunity at prosperity?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What isn't far right?

We had a group of trans activists shouting down a public speaking engagement on Saturday just gone waving these flags and placards around...

This narrative that the far right (who can barely tie their own shoelaces) are responsible for anything unsavoury in Ireland is a little tired at this stage.

We do have an issue with extremists, there are some who are far right, but there's a vastly greater number who are far left.

I asked you to express an opinion on those flags and signs on another thread and you ignored the question, I'm assuming you endorse that flavour of extremism?

As pointed out earlier, none of these displays of public disorder exist in a vaccum, you can't excuse one set of clowns and condemn the other.

Glazers Out!

If anyone has a concern about something , standing in the street screaming , assaulting people , mugging people and throwing piss at people is NOT the way to get everyone else to listen to your concerns.

So , until they can behave like human beings , I don't really give a sh!t what they are worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This Gardas face sums up the whole thing.

Attention seekers everywhere. Victims of an algorithm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Shouting down speakers is counter protest 101 and has happened since time immemorial in democracies all across the world. Nothing to see there. So they had icon of Lenin and a hammer and sickle with them on their protest. Silly and very naive in my view, but no more than that.

Now ask yourself the following -

Were they outside Leinster House?

Did that trans counter protest have a gallows with them?

Did the trans activists threaten TDs and their staff and the public servants working in Leinster House?

Did they throw bottles of urine around?

The answer is no they didn't.

Come back to me when they start doing that. Until then, give the whataboutery a rest and have a look at what happened outside the Dail yesterday, look at how it will probably impact on any group in the future who might want to protest about political or social issues outside our national parliament.

Advertisement