Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think the 'smash the far right' is more to do with the ideology of the far right than actual people.

I do agree with you on the 'punch a nazi', shouldn't be acceptable at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,721 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Incitement to violence is only problematic in specific situations. Those situations are defined by the left as they see fit.

It's a pity we can't ship all the far right and far left people somewhere else and let them have at it while we live our lives.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Well, that's not what the law says in this country. Very few countries have completely unlimited freedom of speech.

You are of course entitled to argue for changes in the law, or even to stand for election on the basis of a free speech platform. I wish you good luck with that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You and better explain it, because your version is very far from what is actually a right to free speach.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

The politicians have brought this on themselves.

The irony for the aggressive protestors though is that they have played into the hands of the people they are protesting against ! You see the carry on of yesterday tarnishes the idea of protesting itself. Lots of aggrieved citizens will not attend protests if they know the same type of idiots are going to be in attendance.

This is the worst government the country has had in my time, economic growth and almost full employment yet,

housing crisis,

no reform of planning,

no planning for increased population,

infrastructure severely lacking,

HSE uselessness,

crime; random street violence,

opioid problem,

useless inefficient public transport,

increased racism,(which will lead to increased division in society)

The above are issues that should have us all out on the street

As for my comment about them brining it on themselves, political decision making has increasingly over the years been passed on to supranational organisations, unelected NGO's etc so the politicians have become in a sense no better than show ponies. Global corporations and especially banking have as much influence on our lives than the fools in DÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

I wonder where Lynn Boylans retweet of “Terf Cutter” would lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

On your first point, fair enough, I would be kicking off it if it a swastika had been on display. But I'd still say they are naive and foolish and nothing more, given that Lenin and USSR were no friends to anyone in the LGBT community.

Counter protest has been a thing for years in all democracies, you appear to be saying it shouldn't happen. I can't agree with that. If you think it's childish that's fair enough, but calling it out on a thread about people who bring gallows to protests, who threaten people and throw bottles of piss around is equivocating the two, which is completely ridiculous and that is why I think you need to cop on. The crowd yesterday were way, way, way out there in terms of their extremism.

On your final point, it's telling that you think trans rights activists are lunatics. They're not, the same way that lesbian, gay and bisexual activsts are not lunatics.

What went on yesterday is not part of a social feedback loop beyond coming out to protest after seeing another protest, I can see your point in that one small aspect.

But the actions on display yesterday are not - nobody protests like that outside a national parliament in this country, I have spent a fair bit of time there, seen a lot of protests there, but never anything like that. And they are nothing like trans rights protestors, or any other protestors - not anti-abortion protestors, not anti-austerity protestors of any description - not anything. Trying to equivocate their behaviour is ridiculous, hence the need to cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭yagan

I took part in a good few marches and protests over the years in Dublin and there'd sometimes be a bunch joining in at the back looking for for a bit of mischief, the usual suspects, but there'd always be enough protest marshals that could separate away any trouble makers.

Last night it just looked like the only coherent message was menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My thoughts exactly. a bit of pushing and shoving, bad language, bad manners yes.

And resulting in a few arrests. (Rightly so if they broke the law).

It’s not exactly the Jan 6th riots is it.

Master of the Universe

In exactly the same boat as 'Punch a Nazi'.

Anyone tweeting or going around with placards inciting violence on other people really needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am not sure there was a safer route? There are two exits as far as I know on foot, there were protestors at both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Was 'Gemmaroids' at the protest?

°°°°°

You just can't get through a post without being rude can you?

You're essentially saying that you find one group of whack jobs agreeable and not the other so you're happy to make excuses for the first group therefore I need to cop myself on.

Any group that welcomes extremists into their ranks are lunatics, that should be self evident.

You essentially refuse to see any issues in groups you agree with, which says a lot about your ability to approach this topic honestly.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Did people at those protests assault people or rob them or throw bottles of piss at people?

Did they bring a gallows and shout that specific individuals should be killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That dope seems to be keeping a low enough profile for a bit at least! Thankfully.

Probably partially to do with this...scumbag behaviour as you would expect

°°°°°

They displayed communist iconography, is that something that's of benefit to society?

Glazers Out!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

You seem to think that displaying iconography is the same as throwing bottles of piss around along with actively threatening people.

And you wonder why I'm rude to you?

That's not a useful test for the exercising of free speech in a democratic society.

Master of the Universe

It's also possible that one group of whack jobs could have been more unruly than the other, which is what we saw over the last few days of protests.

Protests should be primarily responded to by the authorities based on their actions. If something is getting violent or verging on violent, it needs to be shut down.

Yesterday's protests were on the verge of turning particularly ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Espousing/Supporting Communism isn't illegal , stupid certainly but not illegal.

However theft and common assault are illegal as is throwing piss-filled projectiles at Gardai.

Not the same things at all really now are they?

Even in a country with relatively soft touch policing, the state could crush these hooligans in 5 minutes if it chose to.

They have caused immense harm to the cause of legitimate critics of the proposed hate speech legislation, I hope they are proud of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

13 people arrested. More than 13 people weren't.

How come this isn't being reported on as "mostly peaceful"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I detest this government and I’m all for protesting but this was just a skank fest. The absolute state of them. Low IQ, excess free time and an internet connection breeds this level of looney. A few cracks to the skull would have done them no harm. Hopefully next time .

Master of the Universe

This 100%.

I have huge reservations around the ambiguity of this bill and it absolutely pains me to see these space cadets and the nonsense they're peddling in relation to it.

Gives an incredible amount of fodder to anyone who is pro getting it pushed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

The whole left and right thing is a folly.

What needs to happen is, politicians should be looking at why people are so disenfranchised with them. This is by far the weakest and worst government I can remember in my lifetime. I’m mid-40s. The level of abuse they are getting, and it’s from both side of the left and the right, is unprecedented.

I saw Charlie Flanagan come in for a heap of abuse, threats etc online yesterday for replying “an adult human female” to the question “what is a woman”. McGrath, Keoghan and Craighwell get it too. MHR got it from the other side. As do Murphy, Varadkar and Martin.

And we also have TDs at it, stating that the young electorate are being “infected” by another political party. Shocking language from a parliamentarian.

And this isn’t an Irishcentric issue, all over Europe people are moving away from the current politicians to more extreme elements.

You would imagine that surely someone, somewhere, would have by now turned around and said, ‘Whoa we’ve gone massively off course here in the eyes of a lot of the electorate’ and try to fix it. Yet it doesn’t seem to be happening anywhere. Which leads to more conspiratorial thinking.

In my eyes, the Dail, all of it, government and opposition need to call an emergency session, sit down and discuss it, and try to find a way forward. Won’t happen because there’s an election due in the next few years, but who knows where we, and Europe, will be by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There's several ways in and out of the complex as a pedestrian. There is even a helipad on government buildings so MHR could have been evacuated Saigon style.

Gosh, I don't know, "Become Death". Is it because the Illuminati Globalist Bill Gates Vaccine Meeja can't handle the troot ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Had to step away for a few hours but I see the smugness is strong on the thread. Yes some protesters overstepped the mark, yes some shouted, yes some hurled insults, but it was a protest, sometimes they get ugly. Its not all peace and love out there.

But its a slippery slope when people who have different believes or grievances are given labels, insulted and called stupid. People need to listen for a change, maybe they have a point and the government/society/media is overlooking their issues and this was the accumulation of anger over months and years. Just because their gripe isn't on someone else's radar doesn’t mean there isn't a large section of society being **** on.

We did really well for many years at being accepting, breaking down barriers and making the country more diverse. But the last couple years it seems you're only allowed different views if it follows their views.

There's choppy waters ahead and people need to open their eyes to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

And the reason it doesn't choose to crush them? Could it be optics, trapped politicians get more sympathy than ones that made it out unscathed

Advertisement