Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFTs and gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Why is that the marker crypto has to live up to? Do we do the same for other technologies? Do we ask why we need a kindle when you can just carry a book around with you and it never runs out of batteries?

You can have two or more things that do more or less the same thing and people can just use what they like.

We can have Patreon and those that can afford to use it can. And also have BRave rewards and those that want to make anonymous donations via that route can.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why didn't you use Revolut? 😊

As I said on the crypto forum, you've all sense of objectivity on this subject. You've clearly decided that everything is good, you've been sucked in by the hype.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not claiming it's an either/or scenario, simply that what it proposed from a Crypto point of view is often ... well TBH, excessively hyped up, and doesn't appear to be a superior answer to the technology available today. Which, broadly speaking, is what informs the adoption of new tech by the mainstream in most cases.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Your comparisons are absurd, we had netflix before, now we have the kindle. Surely you must see that crypto is absolutely nothing like this. It's easy to see what the benefit of Kindle was, this was clear and obvious from day 1.

There is no coherent description of what problem crypto / blockchain is trying to solve. It doesn't exist. This Web3 stuff is an excellent example, it is crypto bros desperately trying to invent a problem that they think they have the solution for. When you start to peel the onion, all you get is buzzwords. It is vacuous, but unfortunately it seems there's plenty of fools out there willing to be sucked into this vortex of nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You haven't given a single reason to use crypto over anything else though. It's just a circuitous way to get to the same destination.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You make it sound like setting up a Patreon is difficulty when practically everything you list is a prerequisite to having a job and ergo existing in modern times. So it's basically what most people would have unless they were tin foil hate wearing conspiracy theorists.

As for setting up a bank transfer with patreon, it was extremely easy to do.

Now try setting up a crypto wallet with no knowledge of crypto and being very vulnerable to scam wallets that will be hacked or just plain steal your money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's kind of how technology works. Kindle replaces books because it's a much better interface and can store vast amounts of data. It's better tech. Mobile phones provide the functions of a phone along with mobility.

Crypto on the other hand solves no issues or provides better functionality over existing technology and solutions. It's basically doing the exact same thing and in most cases making it worse but with a hook so cryptobros can create crypto coins to play with on a speculative market. It provides nothing to the end user but the owner of the tech gets to make bank off of you with it's self generated scam tokens.

far from it, I can see loads of issues with Crypto, it's been difficult to get set up and easy to make mistakes with (sending funds to the wrong wallet, hitting the wrong decimal point and selling big chunk cheaply) , if you aren't in the right places you will be circled by scammers, & 95% of the tokens out there are just scams that offer nothing and will die off.

It's volatile so if you are not following a mantra of only investing what you are happy to lose, or treating it like a hobby to learn about then you are likely to get nervous and sell as soon as it dips.

We know that, it's an early technology that is improving. When I started buying bitcoin it was very tricky. Now it's as easy as buying something on Amazon. Wallets are much simpler, safer, easier to use. Sending funds is as easy as scanning a QR code.

I can see the use cases, I can see the potential. I've never been one to look at something emerging and write it off because it's not quite there yet.

This reminds me of when the Xbox one was launching and I was all for the digital approach. There was a similar thread where I was lambasted, told that digital was stupid, they could drive to the shops and buy a disk before it finished downloading, it would never take off because digital was more expensive, they couldn't trade in a game, or share with a friend.

Lots of comparisons to this thread where I was told digital "offered nothing that the existing set up was offering and doing it better".

Now we have an industry that's 80% digital. Because the use case and potential I saw back then is now here.

I see the same for crypto. You might not like it, but in ten years bitcoin will be a mainstream investment/ currency. NFTs will be a big part of the user generated content future that is being built. Most likely not in its current form and called something else due to the backlash the name brings but the principal of unique tradeable items will be there.

I guess all we can do is agree to meet back here in 2032 and see who was closer.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Let's get back to what matters: laughing at how the crypto bros of Axie Infinity got scammed out of their scam currency: hacked through a dodgy PDF it turns out. All the padlocks on your digital door mean nothing when simple hacks manipulating squishy humans still work.

Forget Blockchain, FFS the world needs a secure form of shareable document. Decades of market dominance using a shítty file format barely held together; Adobe should die.

Earlier this year, staff at Axie Infinity developer Sky Mavis were approached by people purporting to represent the fake company and encouraged to apply for jobs, according to the people familiar with the matter. One source added that the approaches were made through the professional networking site LinkedIn. 

After what one source described as multiple rounds of interviews, a Sky Mavis engineer was offered a job with an extremely generous compensation package. 

The fake “offer” was delivered in the form of a PDF document, which the engineer downloaded — allowing spyware to infiltrate Ronin’s systems. From there, hackers were able to attack and take over four out of nine validators on the Ronin network — leaving them just one validator short of total control. 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As one of the replies says, Gamestop, the masters of "Buy something from us but it's worth much less when you try sell it back" have started selling NFTs.

• Advertisement

Looks like Sony is considering doing what they do best when they are too of the world, turning into an even shittier, slimier company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Found this which contains a screenshot of the deleted tweet.

Basically Sony trying to gauge if there's still interest in NFTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bleugh. NFTs confirmed for the game Neill Blomkamp is involved with.

Although maybe it's no loss when you see ridiculous shite like this in the trailer;

Haha, Neil Blomkamp. Now there's yesterday's man.

Imagine how it feels being a low level developer working on one of these games knowing that the game is going to tank spectacularly on release if it even gets made at all as you endure meetings about investors bailing out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've said it before in the films forum, but it's extraordinary how Blomkamp's name still gets slapped all over projects as a big draw. District 9 was a lonnnnnggg time ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭scottygee

Looks like Sony and I had the same idea 😁 I went around looking into NFTs recently, some of the new games do look quite tempting (killer trailers at the very least). I'll see what autumn brings my way, check some more reviews, I don't know. Never played p2e before, might as well try that too. 

Will Wright, noooooo!

Looks like Wright has been suckered into a NFT "verse" style game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Another project built to supposedly espouse the benefits of the blockchain that could be made entirely without it. Wright says he wants to use the blockchain because he wants secure transactions between players, but we have that in loads of games that have nothing to do with crypto. Also it’s selling the fundamental misunderstanding that immutability = security, which as we’ve seen from thousands of examples is simply not the case(and a lot of times causes far more headaches).

Needless to say I hope it never gets past the design stage!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Honestly, I'm just surprised that it wasn't Peter Molyneux that tried something like this. "This is more than just an NFT, it is your dog. Owning the NFT confers ownership of the dog, and when you click his nose, an entire new game is AI generated, which he then poops out."

A true NFT game has finally been revealed

The explanation of it sounds like an improvised riff from Rick & Morty.

So much complication and it's a terrible auto runner.

The humour is so try hard and awful that I wouldn't be surprised if it was AI generated just like the **** ape art.

Feels like they're just openly mocking those who buy into this whole thing; brazenly advertising how the whole edifice is nothing but a big pile of shít and they know it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That is such bad journalism.

NFT that never sold were never worth anything to start with. So saying something that was never worth anything, never sold for any money, is now worthless is kinda dumb.

You should take

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's gratifying, I have to say. Always nice to see hucksters get what's coming to them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

"...Something that was never worth anything" ... you know that's basically exactly what people have been calling NFTs from the start, right? 🤭

The market is correcting itself, and whether or not these NFTs ever had "value" it's yet another timely kick to the kerb of something only ever, at best, a technical curiousity and at worst, a scam.

Advertisement