Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Out of interest, did your August statement include the PSO levy credit of €12.73?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazyhorse

My August Waterpower statement included PSO level rebate. I am still waiting on rebate from June and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes, when prices increased you kept your original discount so Unit price - (decreases + discount) should be the unit price you pay. So all decreases should affect your unit rate no matter what discount you get

For example if you are on a 60c rate with 10% discount and the company announced a 50% discount in November then you go from 54c (60c-10%) to 27c (30c-10%)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's not bad. I've been out of contract for gas only for 2.5 months now and would be very keen so sign up as soon as any of them offer a rate of under 10c incl. VAT for gas

Anyone see that happen, please PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Surprised at BGE but the 38% dual fuel discount plus this seems like a really good deal for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

There was no PSO levy credit on our July or August bill. We moved to them mid July so don't have any earlier bills to check.

For the other user that was asking about meter readings, they advised us to submit a meter reading at the end of each month to ESB Networks for accurate billing. We forgot in July and submitted a reading on the 2nd September, however, that turned out to be too late also as they still gave us an under-estimated bill for August. We have an (non-activated) Smart meter since April, however, we're in a mobile signal blackspot, so it still depends on either us submitting readings or the meter reader, who popped by just a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I'm going to be taking over the electricity/gas bills from the missus soon.

Can I just sign up to a new company using the meter numbers or does she need to close the old account first before I can sign up seeing as it's in her name?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

The prices are now updated on the BG website: https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-tariffs

New customers are getting 15% discount.

So Urban day/night dual fuel for new customers after 9 November will be (VAT inclusive):

Elec. standing charge: €312.35

Gas standing charge: €143.14

Day: 37.21

Night: 18.42

Gas: 10.50

If you're getting much higher discounts as a loyalty discount, you can calculate them on the site.

Still not as good (for me) as Energia with the 20% discount they won't give or even the 15% that they will give. I'm going to switch to BG and hope I get that call from Energia with the 20% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yeah work away. Old account will close when you switch & she'll get the closing bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

Waterpower gets unactivated smart meter readings automatically from ESBN for each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

In the event that you do not have a Smart Meter, please see below on how to submit your monthly reads if necessary:

The Meter Reading Service Organisation (MRSO) may over or under estimate your electricity usage. We rely on the MRSO figures when calculating your electricity bill. If you would like to send an actual meter reading, before your Waterpower bill is issued each month, you can submit your reading to the MRSO by the last day of each month via one of the following methods:

Text:

Text your MPRN number followed by a space and then the reading to 087-9609223

E.g. 1000000000 2125

Low-Call Telephone:

Phone 1800 337 777 for a 24 hour automatic service

Online:

www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/readings

Email:

Send your MPRN number and meter read to reading@esb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I've the text number saved on the phone, a simple 20 seconds job every month. I've 2 unactivated smart meters also which esb reads themselves for waterpower

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

AHH, ok it's just the standard esbn service you need to use. I used it before for my father's house when he was in the nursing home as the meter was in the garage 😕, that's the 70s for ya☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Have the same offer on the plate at the moment. Looks to be the best available to me.

Prices should be about Gas 7.5c & Electricity 25.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

So that's it for reductions until the spring I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi,

Just got the keys to my first apartment and haven't had gas or elec in my name before. Work from home 3 days a week, 2 kids, consoles etc, haven't a clue about who to go with for my elec and gas, need to pick today as going to property tomorrow. Is it ok to ask who's the cheapest to go with, apologies if not. Up to my eyes moving and work etc so haven't had time to do any research on it. Any advice greatly appreciated (old meter at property) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you have a quick look on Bonkers or Switcher, it will give you rates based on the estimated annual bill for average users. Whilst yours might be more or less than this, it will give you an idea who the cheaper is at the moment. Even with a contract cancellation fee, it might* work out cheaper to switch next month.

Does the apartment have a standard meter or smart meter? Have you any idea if its smart, whether it has been activated yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Thanks for reply I'm clueless with this stuff. It's a standard meter, old apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'm just after coming out of contract with Flogas (electricity) and am wondering should I hang on before switching to another provider in anticipation of further price reductions or should I just belt away and switch?

SSE Airtricity seem to be offering the best rates (unless you're switching to a smart meter tariff).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

all the companies have just announced their reductions, you will be waiting a long time for another round of price cuts

use bonkers or similar and switch to the best option

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Yeah I suppose tis wishful thinking to be waiting for more reductions really. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Now that everyone has announced the only thing may change is discount %, well not until spring time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭GoodGamerGuy

When looking at the offers on Bonkerts, what range of prices should I be looking for, for electricity and gas?

Like checking now I see:

Electricity Charges

Day rate 41.19 cent Night rate 30.41 cent Peak rate 50.16 cent Standing charge €244.14

Gas Charges

Unit rate 11.685 cent Standing charge €147.10

For Bord Gais Energy, effective from 09/11/23

However Flo Gas shows cheaper for everything, but somebody above says SSE is cheaper if not going to smart meter (I'm already on smart meter)

So just curious about the rates we should be looking for, maybe I entered some detail wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Just have to wait to see what supports the government has lined up for us, I doubt it will be a blanket €600 for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I'd say the will have to give blanket credits, it's easier, but don't think it'll be 600 maybe 400 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

You're going to be a high energy user with the working from home. Lowest unit rate is going to benefit you more then low standing charge.

Just assume normal usage (not true for you on Bonkers in an apartment) and go with whatever is lowest. This time next year, you'll have actual usage to input.

You've gotten the keys to the apartment, you should have already noted the meter values and sign up immediately to a supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Was thinking maybe 3 lots of €150. Or else they give the €600 and pare back on some of the welfare supports they gave in the last budget. TBF I think the government deserve credit for not throwing another €200 at it since March as some advocated. If they had I'm sure the providers would have held off on reductions for another while or give less decreases.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

We're going off topic again so I don't mean to start a separate discussion on this, but if you - and a few others here - believe this is how suppliers decide on pricing, I suggest you test that theory against facts that you can find yourself.

From the top of my mind that's not really consistent with several suppliers exiting the market last year (were they bored of making easy money?), the ones strong enough to stay afloat making no profits, the same passing on price hikes with a 12 months delay (why?), offering discounts (40% a few years back, but even today, why would BGE or Flogas put up these offers in the first place?). On the flip side I can't think of anything that would suggest this is how the market works. It doesn't look like a cartel raking in and pushing together as far as they can, against the government and consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

I was thinking this years energy credits. will be closer to €300 in total, as in 3 x €100, in Nov/Jan/March. Energy is still way too expensive, but the supplier cuts, all of them, have now announced reductions, and these cuts, have roughly exceeded, an average, of more than €300 per annum on electricity alone, some suppliers claim a lot higher, and all the supplier cuts are effective between early October and early November, so government have good timing on their side there, in terms of being able to justify a reduction in the energy credits accordingly.

I also expect, it will be a blanket energy credit, otherwise, it is almost impossible and too expensive to administer + all the suppliers have systems, already setup to implement energy credits.

For targetting specific vulnerable groups, who also receive any energy credits, they can do this, easily, via the Fuel Allowance, as people on this, are already means tested. This is currently €924 per annum, but they added a one off additional payment of €400 in last year's budget i’d expect any one off payment, to be lower than last year probably will be halved this year to €200, they also increased the threshold to qualify for the €924 per annum standard fuel allowance, 80,000 extra people qualified for Fuel Allowance because of last years budget increase of the qualifying threshold, that is highly unlikely to be changed.

Advertisement