Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's always the same dumb sh*ts saying the same dumb sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's not as if those water charges were from another era 50 years ago like the burning down of the British embassy by protestors then.

The Paul Murphys of this world want us to forget about their disgusting behaviour then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That is not true, I have a strong dislike of the parroting of certain types of Dublin accents as = stupid, it is parroted here a lot, it's a very unfair troup. The protesters seem to be made up of individuals who had mental health issues, those with a tendency towards violence anyway, anarchy is very attractive to some violence for the sake of violence, along with those who lack the talents, skills, or ability to understand how society is changing, it's easier to dumb down on immigrants or woman or the 'left' or middle-class liberals, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

You get what you deserve.

If anyone, regardless of profession, oversees and directs issues of mass negative impact, they can't exactly complain.

The frankly insane policies going on in this country for years upon years upon years is simply reaching a retaliatory point.

May God forgive me for pointing it out!

Greed. That's all there is to it. And greedy people then shocked by the comeuppance of greed. Wonders never cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Threatening murder isnt acceptable. Not sure why you think it is.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

It's exactly as you'd predict.

The more brazen, the more downtrodden, the more outrageous will be the first to appear in retaliation. That's how it starts.

From a very broad perspective, if anyone thinks there aren't many, many, many other "more civically amenable" people looking at the action of that protest and quietly congratulating them, theyd be wrong.

This is not happening in a vacuum. There are multiple crises in effect across this country for an outrageously long time. Cause is meeting the beginning of effect. And I stress "beginning".

That there just so happens to be a strangely ambiguous speech bill being bolted through all of a sudden is no damn coincidence. The likes of the politicians saw some time back what others are refusing to see now, that cause will inevitably meet effect.

I agree on violence being unacceptable.

However a litany of multiple crises that are deepening by the day is also unacceptable.

So, we have two broad points of the unacceptable.

One will give eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

How many? Give us a figure to the nearest ten.

If this is the beginning what is the end?

When can we expect the end?

How much tinfoil should I buy?

The start of this conundrum begins with the obvious statement: this current situation in the country is hilariously unsustainable.

The starting point is that it will change.

Fair to say that the severity of multiple crises predicts the severity of the change.

How it manifests is the question. I won't claim to know it.

But there's nothing funny about this whatsoever. While it may be a past time for some to pour ire on the less fortunate, perhaps in some strange jealousy of their lack of impotence, it does nothing.

And they know it does nothing.

And they know there is a laundry list of reasons for people to rage.

But ne'er will their brains allow the two connect for fear of looking less than a ineffectual lump of meat.

More power to people who act on what they perceive as wrongdoing. Have at it, and let the impotent cries wash over them!

Cause and effect.

• Advertisement

Abouslety there are others agreeing with them in the background, but it has little to do with crises there are always crises, but it properly far more to do with the decline in the status of some in society and they don't like it, a good example is a down at heel barbers deciding to blame the Turkish barbers who come here instead of upskilling and investing in their business now maybe they do not have the education talents or skills and abilities to change so its easier to blame someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭yagan

I think we have to acknowledge though that we're probably witnessing a new internet/social media phenomena. The only thing that seems to connect all the disparate causes at yesterdays protest was telegram.

Some people are simply addicted to constant outrage and have become addicted to the idea of live stream struggle, some may even make a living off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well I think you've pinpointed the issue but not in the way you meant to. We are bringing in the foreign equivalent of working-class unskilled and skilled labour. They are also being plonked down in working-class areas: Finglas, Ballybrack, Ballyogan etc.

I know just from the prim way that many boardsies express themselves that they are middle-class office professionals who waffle about 'stakeholders' during the daytime. Nobody is swapping them out for foreign equivalents - yet.

Why shouldn't working people find this intolerable and unbearable? Saying you need to upskill, invest etc. is just economic liberal waffle - if the people who govern you are taking active steps to crash the price of labour.

Because society is changing no way around that, so why not bring back male drinking and pub culture and preserve all aspects of working-class culture just to keep someone happy, it's not logical and wouldn't work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yep. The likes of Philip Dwyer make a lot from youtube monetisation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

AI and Automation will come for more and more White Collar jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Finally I got some sort of answer. It took reading to page two for someone to say what all the fuss was.

I would go to the conspiracy theory forum to try and find out more. Only for they scare me!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Irelands version of Jan 6th, when the scary far rite tried to overthrow democracy 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

The other conundrum is this.

Why would a Government that has 18-24 months left in office, before it is displaced, put much effort into solving any of the crises that could take up to 5 years minimum to complete?

Any plan they start now around building housing, building new prison spaces, training thousands of tradespeople, will not be completed until a few years after they are out of office.

So who would benefit? The Government of that day. Which will not be FFG. Likely instead a Sinn Fein/FF coalition or a Sinn Fein/Others Rainbow coalition.

Have to disagree on there always being crises. Not like this.

It's becoming difficult to find stuff that isn't already in, or entering crisis here.

The magnitude of this is new. And there are several other new elements too.

Unfortunately a lot of precepts such as "don't blame others" are increasingly lacking. Nice ideas, worthy, but less and less practically applicable. Its not nice.

Greed is at the heart of so much wrong in the country. Impossible to not link it. Impossible to not see the obvious motivations and flow of money.

People are plenty pissed, and more and more are falling into economic disarray. Despite, hilariously, there being "so much money".

What else could possibly have happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Believe me, he doesn't. But carry on stating rubbish as fact. Take a look at the amount of views he's getting. How much do you seriously think someone with that level of viewers gets?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The conspiracy theory forum has one resident conspiracy theory poster and about a dozen people taking the piss out of them.

Not much to be scared of.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

You obviously havn't read all the posts in here, try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

We live in a harder, nastier, more divided world than before.

We need to start putting some degree of fairness and decency to the fore.

Neoliberalism has failed us.

'Greed is good' has left huge numbers feeling cheated and hopeless.

People are turning to the Trumps, the conspiracy theories and the far-right because they offer answers.

There is just no way that the multiple crises in this country are not head and shoulders above any kind of disinformation nonsense on the Internet.

It may flavour it, but it's not nearly a meal.

If I point to the mass migration into the country over x amount of years and the obviously concomitant effect on lack of housing, there'll be people that would rather tear their own eyeballs out than accept the perfectly sensible. "We need more houses" they'll say to avoid it, but fail to question where the need comes from. "But the Gdp and the jobs and the economy" will be the fallback, to which I point and laugh at how effective that's working out.

There's a ton of disinformation out there, and for some people they don't even realise they're spreading it.

So deeper and deeper into crisis we go. Not a question asked as to how the prevailing "wisdom" that brought us here is still being relied upon to get us out of it. Laughable. Dig up stupid, kind of thing.

So there's a disarray of feeling on the matters at hand and things are muddled. They shouldn't be, but they are. Even so, nobody in their right mind can say there's nothing worth getting on the streets about. It's way past time.

It's not the Internet behind this. It's reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Irish Council for Civil Liberties Exec Director Liam Herrick , on RTE Six One, talking about the difference between peaceful legal protest and illegal protest with intention to violence and threat .

No prizes for guessing which camp yesterdays protests fall into . .

And these ICCL people would be in favour of curbing the proposed hate speech law btw .

To address an ongoing argument about recent protests and what is allowed under law , slogans and abusive messages on placards are currently allowed , as is shouting loudly. But abusive and personally directed language and threats to a person or group of people eg the Gallows , is not allowed . And the AGS are within their rights to arrest and remove and take action in those circumstances.

Not saying I agree with the former either myself but it conforms to what is acceptable .

And just to add I would be in favour of arrests on either side , right or left , for those engaging in this type of behaviour .

Paul Murphy was a disgrace in his incitement of violence in the Jobstown riots also .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He was on Matt Cooper earlier and I was amazed to hear what he was saying. He normally leaps to defend the types that were in attendance but he completely condemned them.

If he has no time for them its a huge sign the dregs utterly fùcked it yesterday.

While I sort of agree with you, I am a bit skeptical about liberalism in general and the idea that human nature is perfectible. They are not looking to Trump for answers they are looking to the likes of Trump for permission and legitimacy for something that was always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Time to invest in a few more Mals for the garda dog unit.

• Advertisement

I believe that a large part of the ire directed towards healy rae was down to this. Not the only thing of course, but the latest.

For a standing politician, in a country stuffed to the brim as evidenced via the housing crisis to name one manifestation, and to then clearly be in a position of profiteering off that crisis, it's just appalling.

That some people refuse to see the raging anger this is inducing as a worthy thing is nothing less than willful ignorance.

Take that anecdote, and multiply it athousand fold across anything you care to mention. Corruption, with a hint of legality.

What? Should we wait until the next time to vote, while another metric ton of corruption is enacted in the meantime? That's rhetorical.

And then people are left scratching their heads about this weird speech bill being rushed in? Wonder no more. It is simply nothing other than cronies putting up a shield against the inevitable. The inevitable that they themselves created out of greed.

Yes. More and more are finding the situation intolerable.

Advertisement