Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Autumn 2023 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Comments

Agnes should make a lot of noise but not do much damage 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Grandad is the only one who should get a yellow warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Next run could well flip to something more unsettled again as this does not have huge support .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

GFS wants to bring another Oíche na Gaoithe Móire!

National Hurricane saying 70% chance of Cyclone formation in 48hrs. Of course this should be treated as pure FI, anything could happen in the next two weeks but something of interest to track to see wherever it ends up. I must say I am keen to see how a big system will stick the distance with the warm seas this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Met Office models showing a low on Wednesday morning which is remains of ophelia and similar to the track in October 2017 which was also ophilia

We're looking increasingly likely to take a storm hit.

Nasty fecker, depending on the track on the ECM, for Wednesday.

And GFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

hopefully this comes off, t’would be nice to have T-shirt weather to start October,

• A very promising ECM update there with not only this Wednesday storm not as bad as previously feared but a ridge of high pressure building for the week commencing October 2nd.

We could have a extended period of settled weather if the ECM long range is correct. In the more immediate term the GFS is showing it settling down now too. Sryan's reverse psychology may just have worked again. That man is a clever clogs!

• Advertisement

That is some amount of blocking if it transpired! The GFS is good at spotting trends, but does it go against the idea of a strong El Nino?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Any sign of a high coming our way?

Nothing really in the next 7 days, some nice enough days. GFS hinting at a bit of a high, but 10 days away so too far out. The weekend will bring spells of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭jkforde

GFS has a nasty looking low on Oct. 8, currently brewing in the Caribbean, hope it goes elsewhere if it develops and heads NE

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

ECM ridiculously mild at the end of the run. 850pHa 18c in October

If it came to pass I wonder what temperature we'd reach.. Usually we add 8c isn't it. I'd say 23c would be the max. Given 25.1c was recorded in 1906 on 1st October in Clongowes. You'd drop a degree or 2 by 8 October. Of course sunshine is a biggie. 21c was recorded on 19 October 1997.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Our closest resemblance would be (amusingly also a Sunday 8th) 8th October 1995. Shannon Apt had 21.1C on this day with good sunshine - unbroken for many, particularly in the east. That was with 12-14C 850s and dry soils continuing from the unprecedented drought and hot summer though there had been a wet start to the month.

Even Dublin Apt, normally a rather cooler spot, had 21.0C and 9.6 hrs of sun. Proper Indian summer day. Kilkenny had frost on September 29th so a technical one too :P

That was a nice warm month. 2nd year in college and never wore a jacket all month. All part of a memorable year.

Toasty for the time of year. Will a northerly follow courtesy of a mid Atlantic ridge per a recent GFS Run? That would be a shock to the system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭almostthere12

Very different GFS and ECM charts for next weekend. The GFS has the low steam rolling through while the ECM has nacho's chart above. Hopefully the ECM is on the ball!

• Advertisement

quite incredible … and even more incredible if it happens! The 25.2c in 1908 would surely be under threat.

Post edited by Elmer Blooker on

Indeed it would, even shows a raw 25C over Dublin... higher than July/August 🙃

Christ. 19/20C @ 850hPa over Ireland in October on the 12z UKMO and GEM. That is absolutely bonkers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Certainly looking very warm for the time of year next weekend, low twenties possible and maybe a 25C in Phoenix Park if we can get perfect direct hit sunny conditions with maximum uppers and minimum onshore breezes. Imagine if we had a plume like this in July, the uppers would be several degrees warmer perhaps and then the much longer daylight hours during the prime time of summer. For end of first week of October these charts are still remarkable, haven't seen anything like it since I first started posting on this weather forum nearly 2 decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭US3

Looks like the lawnmower will get 1 more go. Hopefully those charts verify

No record will be broken, but 23 or 24 will be incredible for the time of year. We could then be looking at a plunge in temperatures in the days afterwards courtesy of Northerly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Still lots of changes between now and the weekend, the charts suggest there's a strong possibility that records "could" be broken.

I doubt it, the 850 temps are very high, still you need a set of perfect conditions for that to happen, although I could be wrong. Let's see!

Exactly, perfect conditions required.

A direct southerly, good sunshine and the foehn effect could possibly break the long standing 25.2c at the PP.

Shannon too can often be influenced by the Kerry mountains in these conditions.

the 6z says no breakdown to cooler weather.

• Advertisement

To put those charts into context from last night... before June 2019, the 20C isotherm has likely never paid Ireland a visit based on all the charts I've viewed over the years. We've gotten to 19C but not 20C. Then June 2019 came and did it. Then July 2022. So the prospects of it being possible (not saying likely) in October given perfect parameters, that's well I frankly have no words to describe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement