Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't about the last 100 years but in my lifetime Bertie's remark that the begrudgers should go hang themselves represented a new low, and things probably even worse since then.

Despite their promises to clean up politics, FG only carried on his legacy. Ff want to make him president.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

It’s a grand oul country if you have the right connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

"  Have you never been on a protest? This happens all the time on many different issues where there are street protests - immigration, abortion "

In the run up to the 2018 referendum on whether or not to repeal the then 8th amendment, while there was protests on both sides not once can I recall any incident where the no side set out to try to drown out repeal campaigners from speaking at any event or gathering unlike the counter gathering this past saturday.

Where online event posters for the counter gathering specially said to " bring noise " in other words noise to try drown out other people from speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

You got me thinking there about how there is a possibility to protest the housing crisis. Yet there isnt.

In answer, I think there is a real case of being slowly boiled alive by cannibals here.

The temperature has risen over time, and we have become so innured to the heat, we've lost sight of the very basic fact we are being boiled alive.

Put the situation in a different context. Let's remember the meaning of the word "crisis"

If a country were suffering a food crisis year after year after year, each year worse than the last, all under the control of essentially the same government, who would be surprised at a violent retaliation?

Throw in a generous helping of government officials and buddies directly involved in food production, food export, and generally involved in profiteering from the food crisis. Oof.

Nobody. Nobody would be surprised at the result.

An amount of people are bobbing away in the simmering water cursing other people for complaining. Fook those imbeciles, they deserve to be eaten. Worse than the cannibals. But more and more are getting ready to upend the whole fooking shebang to escape.

"Just wait years to vote!" *no change ensues* "just wait more years to vote again!" "Decorum, please!"

Trollocks.

What we're seeing, as you say, is almost a collaborative gathering of anger. There's so much to rage about, rightfully.

And again, who can be surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

How can there be a food crisis when we are all engaging in cannibalism? Maybe those migrants are not to your taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I don’t remember anyone up in arms when Derek Byrne called our president a midget parasite to his face during the water protests, or Paul Murphy and the Jobstown crew being called out.

Seems the pubic cherry pick their moral outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I was a bit scared because my brother is gay and we have a lot of foreign friends… they seemed so angry…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭yagan

You think the protest last night was just about housing? Was there a unified demand delivered?

What we saw was gallows and chanting about ejecting the public's representatives.

That's coup language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Jesus Christ they are saying the protestors are a terrorist group now on the tonight show.

Serious overreaction to this and leads me to think it’s a marker for clamping down on future protests.

Now a psychologist on calling them all conspiracy theorists.

It was also a protest against immigration and they are showing they have no idea how to deal with the anger out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What anger out there though? This was a relatively tiny number of cranks and hotheads (less than 200 people perhaps), most of whom are probably on social welfare. You could hardly claim they are representative of anyone or anything. It's a similar bunch of eejits shouting all over social media.

• Advertisement

So it turns out that MHRs interns phone was not stolen. She dropped it without noticing. At about 1:30 of the video you can see her walking, unencumbered, and it falling to the ground. It is still there as the camera person walks on.

https://x.com/valerie70154568/status/1704505043397857654?s=46&t=6cLnc0ZtzhK8nMknfB_HwQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Imagine it was a pretty frightening moment for her first day on the job so unwittingly dropping her phone and thinking she might have been mugged isn't an amazing gotcha tbh.

No but if puts an end to the nonsense that she was mugged by violent protesters.

Just dropped her phone while followed by angry protesters. I don't really think it was the standout from the event tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

Earlier this evening Richard Boyd Barrett was question about his stance on migration related issues.

https://twitter.com/TheRealGDaBoss/status/1704926081176711272

I have said it before on another thread and I,ll say it again.

East wall and ballybrack where the protests are ongoing the local tds in those areas to call public meetings in both areas and have a garda representative present where the garda representative can give assurances to people that any new people arriving into the area have had their passports checked and that they are valid passports to address people,s concerns and I said locals tds where the tds can be asked questions by locals and if anyone has any grievance towards government policy on migration they want to air they can air it.

Some actual dialogue to local communities because there has been little to none since these protests started.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120937106/#Comment_120937106

The man in the video asking Richard questions obviously has grievances over migration related issues if there was public meetings in that area over migration where tds would be present that man could of aired his grievances there instead of approaching a td in what appears to be a beer garden in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Very probably all the same people , Strazdas 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, to be fair, hanging effigies of people from a gallows is not exactly good natured peaceful protest. I know personally that if someone is hanging an effigy with my face on it in the context of an angry mob, I'd be inclined to take that as a threat.

Between hanging effigies and physically abusing elected representatives, it seems to me that a marginal public overreaction is preferable and much more understandable than an under-reaction.

These people deserve to be pilloried across all media for what they are: delusional clowns who mistake anger for righteousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Tonight Show devoted a large part of the programme to this story both last night and tonight.

RTE, Today FM and Newstalk are covering it as well, I've no problem with that at all but I find it strange that a more serious incident happened last weekend at the airport but it barely got a mention at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Conclusion from looking at the videos of the protest.

1. The protesters don't even know what they are protesting about. "Vaccines, Jews, TDs salaries" Anything their little pea brains can think of, I'd post the videos but it's just giving them coverage which is what they want.

2. They think by carrying an Irish flag the 2 to 3 hundred people there are somehow representing the majority of Irish people, which they clearly aren't hence such a small crowd.

3. I'd say 90% of the protestors there are in receipt of some sort of social welfare payment, most are wearing tracksuits

4. Having come across some of these far right loonies before, there is generally no reasoning with them, all of them in the videos couldn't even string a sentence together without curses, they are dregs on society.

5. We all have our problems with the government / TDs etc. But, having seen this shite that they've to put up with now, I completely understand why they want and need increased security, although, I hope there's not too much of an over reaction as these really are the minority of society for now.

6. These people are racist - comments like "this is our f**king country" etc. Go some way towards proving that.

Fair play to guards, tough job not to react...if I was a guard I'd really find it hard to resist the urge to give these loonies a hard smack on the face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I agree with you, but why do you mention “Jews?” Yes, they are racist and seem to be against gay people but I don’t remember any mention to Jews…

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

There was mention of Jews in one of the guys rambling speechs, he had a megaphone, was spouting some amount of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Exactly. You'll only really see "there is a lot of anger out there" type stuff on the far right telegram channels, far right twitter spaces and on here and I've seen people on those far right channels getting directed to post on here. So it's a small group basically.

Realistically there were 200 morons and idiots who have been sucked in by lads grifting and making a few quid off them. Keep in mind this was supposed to be a huge protest of thousands but all that was seen was 200 or so weirdos there. It's always the same faces behind all this. It's just a small number of grifters who have a market in the idiots out there who buy into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

The incident at the airport was heavily reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But I didn't see a single media outlet showing the widely shared video of the incident using the excuse of it being before the courts yet they shared coverage from outside the Dail yesterday when people shown were also before the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Good point. Very curious juxtaposition in the reporting around both these incidents. An innocent member of the public waiting to catch a flight is repeatedly stabbed, yet the commentary is relatively muted. Contrast that with a few TDs being heckled, and the sky is suddenly falling in.

Personally, I don’t agree that this is the right way to voice frustration with the current woefully incompetent administration. However, I do find it interesting that the usual suspects are quick to brand the protesters as social welfare recipients, when those same commentators clearly aren’t particularly economically active themselves, given their prolific posting patterns!

Might be time for some self-scrutiny..

Lived near a direct provision center for most of my childhood into early adulthood. Was chatting to my mother about these protests yesterday. She pointed out how not a single person from it ever caused any trouble in the area. Meanwhile this lot have a gallows up for politicians, ya they're dangerous racists with an assortment of other batty views. They're the same lot harassing library staff too but I'm sure you think that's fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭yagan

I bet staff in cork library and book stores are amused to see politicians finally awake to the menace they've had to endure in recent months.

Anyone saying they're ok with that protest should have no problem with the annual burning of posters and effigies of Irish public representatives on the 11th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Boy, it's some state of affairs when the Healey Raes hold the moral high ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm not surprised by the reaction to the protestors. But whether people like it or not, there is something stirring in many areas around the country. The media and government can ignore it or put labels on it, but people are aggrieved and anger is building. Large parts of society are unaffected by it and their smugness is telling, but to ignore it is a risky strategy.

Advertisement