Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jesus lad, don't get all "Muh freedoms!" about a flippant throwaway comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The good thing about the internet is that it gave everyone a voice, the bad thing about the internet is that it gave everyone a voice.

I found the below video interesting, it's mainly about one on one personal communication and how important (and even complicated) it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCWuQIjNHak&t=939s

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah Sabine Hossenfelder, haven't watched this one yet but love her videos in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

Twitter at its worst popularised the idea that everyone’s opinion on everything is equally valid, which of course is total nonsense - as is the idea that people who were banned for breaking the ToS had their free speech rights trampled on or that they were being silenced.

With solid moderation Twitter can be a fun, informative place. But that’s not going to happen under Musk so let him put it behind a paywall and out of its misery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Twitter at its worst popularised the idea that everyone’s opinion on everything is equally valid, which of course is total nonsense - as is the idea that people who were banned for breaking the ToS had their free speech rights trampled on or that they were being silenced.

On a related point to yours, and to quote Isaac Asimov himself, as far back as 1980 IIRC. God knows what he'd make of Twitter now:

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

Post edited by pixelburp on

….

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think Isaac Asimov would like Elon Musk. If the general plot lines of his books reflect his thoughts and opinions, he liked the idea of strong leaders not encumbered by morals. Also, the future he saw for mankind is one where AI gives mankind the means to leave Earth and also makes Earth uninhabitable so to give them an incentive to leave it and colonize (uhh) the galaxy.

All Musk's sci-fi gave us was Teslas driving around a Las Vegas Tunnel adorned with disco lights, I won't hold out for him being the savior of mankind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The gobshíte can't even run a website properly, if we're relying on him to save the human race then we're in bother.

AI is the savior, Musk is just a tool, like Hober Mallow if you want. And just like him, he avoided being dragged into a small battle that could have resulted in a much larger war, and instead used the situation for his benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You are a tad infatuated with the man and seem to admire any slimy things he does. He is not going to lead some wonderful revolution....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Musk increasingly strikes as an entrepreneurial one (two) hit wonder - and one must always remember boondoggles like the Vegas tunnel, or indeed Twitter. While the actual contributions to his successes can be debated.

He desperately wants to be the new Nikolas Tesla, as if the cars name didn't make it obvious enough - as do the hopelessly infatuated fanboys here and elsewhere - but he's no Tesla in actuality. Just a nerd who made it big and has skin so thin he'd pick fights with rescue divers for dissing his sub

Richest man in the world, CEO of two very successful companies of which one is the de facto US space program, under his leadership the electric car and satellite internet became great again. How is he not a great leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Couple of reasons beyond his grandiose narcissim and tissue thin skin when it comes to anyone not adoring him..... what am i forgetting? Oh yeah his dog whistle pandering to racists and bigots.

Elon and the other billionaires like him are dragons sitting atop their hoards piling more and more money under them but it will never be enough... since you seem to be into book references was Smaug a great leader too?

He has plenty of defects and he's a twat, but also his results speak for him. You need to accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yup massively overpaying for Twitter and not being able to service the insane debt he loaded the company with is certainly a result that speaks for itself

As well as building a stupid stainless steel truck the market doesn't want; or a "futuristic" car tunnel in Vegas nobody wants; while god knows where neuralink is gonna head...

Results? The man should have known when to sit back, enjoy the goodwill of Tesla / SpaceX, and be a rich nerd people like - instead of believing his every fart is some pearl of genius. His little infatuated àrse licking tribe has been the worst thing for Musk.

On another note, I've seen a bit of social media chatter about Musk appearing on Star Wars: Ahsoka, by way of the villain Thrawn. And, yeah, I see it lol. Very likely an accident but seems Musk is now a SW villain? 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Honestly he's reminding me more of a modern P T Barnum. His vision of colonising Mars isn't gonna happen, Twitter takeover is a fiscal disaster and he's still struggling to launch a truck... So can't help but be doubtful that the guy is gonna lead a human revolution.

He's not gonna lead any revolution because there won't be any revolution to lead. It's all about incremental progress and that's where he's a leader. Again, he's behind what has become THE electric car brand, THE satellite Internet provider and THE US space program. Also, just like any other great leader before him, he has plenty of failures and he will have more failures in the future. But what moves us forward is his successes.

And if we're talking "great leadership". Good leadership is recognising when you don't lead, but simply sit back and let people who know better drive the bus. Or indeed, design the truck.

Putting the pieces together, pushing people forward and letting them make the magic. Ford, Disney, Dyson, Jobs, Branson etc. all flawed men as much as Mush was but they knew when to let others use their skills. Walt Disney didn't draw Mickey Mouse. To use another quote, this time from fictional cop "Dirty" Harry Callaghan:

A man has to know his limitations.

Or indeed Steve Jobs from the (Fantastic) titular movie:

I play the orchestra.

That's leadership. Being the conductor for other people's expertise.

Bullishness and arrogance that your every utterance has value is less Nikolas Tesla, and more John DeLorean. Musk has become high on his own supply, letting fawning internet idiots ramp up his ego rather than go back to basics. Oh but his "meme game is strong".

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ah sh1t I'll never not see Musk now when I see Thrawn.

He has now ruined one of my favourite Star Wars characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Delorean could actually build cars that didn't fall apart (at GM, the DMC12 wasn't fantastically built) or look like they were designed by a six year old with a ruler.

In the electric car market Tesla have shoddy, aging, ugly models with aging tech that is now being eclipsed by everyone else. They won't be "THE electric car brand" for much longer and when their ridiculous market cap floats down to a realistic level I'd expect one of the car brands that is still insanely behind in EV tech to buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

Thought that for a while myself. He did an excellent job in popularising the EV and making it a desirable product. But it’s really a matter of time before the big manufacturers take over in terms of price, build quality, performance etc.

I do think the company has been wise to invest in EV infrastructure too, though - so additional fees for non-tesla’s charging could be a good source of income for them.

Hes a great hype man to have(or, at least he was). Him being the face of a product while there was a workable product to sell was ideal. But the more he inserts himself into the actual design process the more things fall apart. The Cybertruck and the Semi really seem like concepts that should have never gone any further. Interesting ideas and unique designs, but severely impractical.

And Twitter is the same. A markedly worse place now that has to run based on the whims of its owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He's not "behind" Tesla, he bought his way in, forced the actual founders out, and portrayed himself as the founder because he is an egotistical man-child. I'm fairly sure he tried similar at paypal, and I assume it's the same for his other companies. His very public bad ideas since he took over twitter would certainly suggest that's the case.

He seems to be good at marketing and choosing his investments wisely (pre-Twitter at least), but I see absolutely no evidence that he's the genius and great leader that his fan club seems to think he is.

He bought Tesla when there was just a startup with no actual product. The first car was designed under his leadership, and so were the cars that lead to its huge success and made the electric car great again. Why is it so hard to recognize his achievements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he bought his way into paypal as well and was then forced out because his ideas were dumb

Advertisement