Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI screw rail customers again

Options
  • 21-09-2023 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

From one of my friends. Considering that the free feeder bus serves my old neighbourhood on the Maynooth Road and the W61 doesn't, this is a dick move by TFI and not for the first time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

But the W61 does go along the Maynooth Road - it follows the C4 routing from Celbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Okay - I was thinking of the L59 route. Point taken. The feeder bus was free to use but using Leap cards would mitigate some of the additional cost imposed on the customer by TFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would mitigate all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I guess there would be the odd exception who would have used the feeder bus but not the train. So their free trip is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Why should they have a free bus? That bus was provided to link to and from the train. That is still provided for and with leap it is free. Anyone not using leap in 2023 is mad. For €2 I could take a DART from Dun Laoghaire to town, luas to Heuston, train to Hazelhatch and bus to Celbridge. Exceptional value.

• Advertisement

It was more just a technical (maybe pedantic) point to counter L1011's otherwise correct claim that the €2 Leap Fare would 'mitigate all of it'. If MrsCelbridge was using it to visit her friend in Hazelhatch and return home a few hours later it was previously free and now it isn't.

I'm definitely not saying it 'should' be free. But perhaps the OPs friend in question was such a passenger. They had a loophole which worked for them. When such is taken away people can get irrationally annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It was my understanding that to use it you should have had a rail ticket / travel onwards by train. I presume that was never checked. Also, that and the Sallins to Naas service was paid for by Irish Rail to the operators, a slight anomaly that I'm sure the NTA wanted fixed as well as Irish Rail.

One other thought.

What about someone with a Rail only yearly taxsaver ticket, who used the free feeder bus? Presumably they now have to pay full fare for the bus which seems a little unfair. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

I wouldn’t be complaining. It’s all included in the leap fare.

This change is also needed in The Naas Area with an L Bus service required to cover more of the area and also be included in the leap fare.

The Feeder bus is good but it’s no really good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They should be able to get the bus journey from Celbridge included on their yearly taxsaver at the next renewal, not much good if they just renewed mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭thomasj

im surprised people are still using taxsaver, given the 90 minute fare on all modes in Dublin , and the pricing its just not an attractive offer, especially for those in less days a week due to working from home.

Should look at the idea of topping up a fixed sum directly from salaries, tax free into the leap card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

What happens when the W61 and W62 routes join, hopefully by Jan/Feb 24. My impression was that this new route would have a stop on the HazelHatch road, rather than enter the station. So will the L58 replace the W61 which replaced the feeder bus? Or will people have to leave the station and wait on the HazelHatch road?

No as I understand it the W6 will come into the station.

If you’re paying higher rate tax it can still be worthwhile, even if working part-time, and many people are back working the full week and for them it certainly can make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Thank you, that will make sense, and far safer than having a stop on the HH road. I'm looking forward to the (W6) service starting, there should be plenty of demand for it

Advertisement