Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your memory fails you. There was a lot of public anger at both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Something stirring? What exactly is stirring?

Two hundred agitators is approximately 0.00004% of the Irish population. They would struggle to stir a cup of tea.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nobody us ignoring anything. But if people who are unhappy with anything that the government have implemented then there are ways to address it democratically. What happened the other day was not democratic and was orchestrated simply to stir up tensions. Not one of the rabble has been elected nor do I think there is a realistic ambition there to become elected. How do they expect their changes to come about or do they just plan on being perpetually angry with their lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

The way some are talking tho you'd swear it was on par with the capitol hill riots. Wasnt the case from what i seen they were just hurling abuse and shoving and healy rae was thick enough to walk out into it... stupid games, stupid prizes and all that..

Nothing out of the norm tho in terms of protests ive seen worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

So “——-all parties are gaming the system ——“. I assume therefor that you will not be voting for any of them in the next dail elaction. So what kind of a grouping of Dail representatives do you envisage to manage the nation and that would be capable of addressing all the issues , highlighted by you, to your liking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Jesus RTE are really going to town on this thing. I saw the video of healy rae, longest walk I've ever witnessed.

Why the Garda continued to walk was beyond me, they should have uturned him pretty quickly imo and just drove him out.

Either way, deal with anyone breaking the law. But let's not make a mountain out of molehill here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

The irony of dismissing something is stirring and then calling them agitators. But alas you've also fallen into the trap of putting labels on the protesters. The crowd on Wednesday may have been small but there are many many others who share their views and are angry about the direction and policies that are being forced on communities up and down the country. And it is niave to think there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

How can a protest be undemocratic? Are you suggesting you can only protest if you have an elected representative with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Protest within the framework of and supporting democracy - threatening to kill or hang democratically elected individuals (even if not serious) is not a democratic protest. Hassling and threatening democratically elected individuals no matter what they think of them personally is not a democratic protest.

If the Jan 6 riots in the US were proven to be orchestrated by Trump, they'd have been protests with an elected representative - but they'd still be undemocratic.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bullshìt

This wasnt normal protest. Protests in Ireland are rarely this violent and intimidating and abusive. I've never heard of bottles of piss been thrown as missiles befoe either.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Threatening to murder policians at a gallows, abusing and intimidating elected politicians isnt a democratic protest.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Water protests, love ulster protests etc.

We probably don't have enough violent protests. As I said you arrest the people breaking the law and you move on.

Very slippery slope listening to some politicians and RTE. Plenty of people are murdered, raped, robbed on their way to work and we don't close streets or put army on the streets. Politicians should be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I seen they built a little gallows and had a dummy hanging out of it by a noose and the dummy had knives stuck in it and there were pictures of numerous politicians on the gallows. Alll protesters were from the welfare class but different generations there was 20 somethings with north face jackets, grey sweat pants, weed smoking etc. making tick tocks and shouting. There were older ones too, ill fitting celtic jerseys, morbid obesity, red faces, sun clases, cheap camoflage from an army supply store, flags sown onto things etc. I would be shocked if a single protestor had a job that wasn't a cash-in-hand basis and none of them had anywhere to be that morning. There were also some females pushing prams around the event. The waft of marajuana was over powering.

I though RTÉ should have covered it but it was just so vulgar so I get why they didnt. There'd probably be a severe anti skanger backlash. They didn't seem to have particular issues. Most were shouting about refugees and a few other things that were in the realm of group delusion (WEF, vaccines, 15 min cities, flat earth etc.).

Exactly this, not one of them was a net tax contributer but seemed to demand that yet more taxes be spent on them.

Interestingly but hardly surprising, more shock and anger from politicians over this than the issues up in Temple St.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

That's a weird way of looking at it.

Just allow criminality because we can arrest them afterwards, and- look- it's happening already in other areas so nothing to see here.

They should absolutely be doing something proactively to prevent these sort of so called protests in the future.

As I said it's a slippery slope. Criminality is everywhere in every aspect of life.

A democratic society relies on a balance between threat and response. I don't see anything in current law/policing that needs to be changed to deal with this rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Was that the ploughing championship you're on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭yagan

I've been on lots of protest marches spurred by a worthy cause. Anger gets people off their ass to match. What we saw the other night was recreational anger, not unlike the 11th bonfires up north.

It's basic thuggery hiding behind our protest rights.

I've been angry at our politicians for letting these thugs shut down cork central LIbrary for the first time in a century. It was a definite political decision to not intervene so a massive peaceful counter protest filled the void the government left.

Everytime these loons are ignored by government they get more emboldened. Gallows this week, targetted physical attacks next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

If RTÉ did cover it in more detail, people might start to realise that a serious overhaul in how mental health services are being run here is required. Now that isn't to say that there wasn't just cradle to the grave scrotes there, such as the organisers, that some have to automatically defend or claim aren't a threat for some reason, but if RTE did cover them in more detail then people would start to realise that along with general garda investment, the public order and dog units need serious investment to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's a very small noisy group, there isn't going to be a revolution, when you talk to anyone who even vaguely agrees with them, they are compleatlry illigoical, it was always like that. 20 to 25 years ago it would have been there are no halting site in middle class areas or eastern Europe working are cutting rates for trades. The difference now it the Internet. Boards will be a great resource for future historians.

With respect, a direct provision centre back when you were a kid geared towards families fleeing conflict is a totally different kettle of fish to what's popping up now. Buildings in working class areas are being taken over by the government and stuffed with male migrants from Africa and the Middle East, at a rate of knots. None of the buildings being used for this purpose are located in D4, D6 or any of the leafy burbs further south. It is quite simply a daft policy of creating ghettos in already deprived areas and that's how these people can get support from a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Incorrect.

You haven't a clue if you think that was a groundbreaking protest worthy of special attention, as protests go that was extremely tame about as tame as it gets... As other posters here have proven you completely wrong with examples of protests that are actually bad in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s quite revealing to contrast the relatively muted “sweep it under the carpet quick” response to that genuinely nightmare incident at dublin airport where a random man (sympathies to him) was stabbed repeatedly by an absolute scumbag,

with politicians losing their minds over the pathetic rabble outside LH the other day....

People will draw their own conclusions to this.

Calling for politicians to be murdered through using a gallows and noose cant legitimately be called "democratic"

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

“In a sign of how far the rise of the nativist, authoritarian far right has shifted Europe’s politics rightwards, the researchers considered classifying several of the continent’s better-known centre-right parties as borderline far-right.

“We talked a lot about reclassifying the UK’s Conservatives, Mark Rutte’s VVD in the Netherlands, Les Républicains in France and the ÖVP in Austria,” Rooduijn said. “In the end we didn’t because nativism was not their core focus. But we may in future.””

That makes the research absolutely useless. They are pretty much saying they have moved the bar. Have these parties actually changed or have the opinions of the researchers? The Democrats in the US were very pro boarder control, anti mass immigration and against gay marriage under Clinton, that has changed so the party shifted its stance further left but that doesn’t shift the whole spectrum of politics.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What exactly was the purpose of the protest yesterday?

What exactly are they looking for?

The general "message" seemed to be "Everything is sh!t and it's everyone elses fault"

What are their proposal to fix it?

Who should we vote for if we support whatever it is that they want?

To implement change you have to actually know what you want to change and have a general idea of how you plan to do it.

Unfocussed rage gets you nowhere.

If its breaking the law then they'll be arrested. Outside of that it's a open/shut case.

We do not and should not create laws for fringe minority behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Would it not come under freedom of expression and speech. I disagree with it, I think booing the politicians as they were leaving would have a much bigger impact, but speech and expression freedoms are features of democracy

Advertisement