Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster v Connacht pre-season game in Galway

Munster: Simon Zebo; Shay McCarthy, Antoine Frisch, Rory Scannell, Calvin Nash; Joey Carbery, Ethan Coughlan; Josh Wycherley, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Gavin Coombes, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue (C), John Hodnett, Alex Kendellen.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Kieran Ryan, John Ryan, Tom Ahern, Jack Daly, Neil Cronin, Stephen Kiely, Josh Costello.

Great to see Carbery starting and Ahern back from injury

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes, we have 3 locks away at the RWC, Ahern coming back from injury and I assume Edogbo will be named for the Munster A side to play Connacht A (eagles) tomorrow

It could also be something that Munster or Farrell are looking at as back up or another string to his bow

The A Team

Munster A: Ben O’Connor; James Conroy, Harry Long, Gordon Wood, Oisín Pepper; Tony Butler, Andrew O’Mahony; George Hadden, Chris Moore, Keynan Knox; Edwin Edogbo, Evan O’Connell (C); Seán Edogbo, Ruadhán Quinn, Brian Gleeson.

Replacements from: Adam Wrona, Ciaran Ryan, Darragh McSweeney, Eanna McCarthy, Conor Ryan, Jacob Sheahan, Daniel Okeke, Jack Oliver, Cillian O’Connor, Aaron Quirke.

• Advertisement

Really like how URC Twitter account keeps up the interest in the offseason.

I'll never tire of watching this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I wonder could they do one of him steamrolling Harry Byrne?

Post edited by leakyboots on

• Crowley steamrolling Byrne is up there with Fineen ragdolling Sexton. A sight to behold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Some exciting young players on this team, particurly in the pack. Evan O'Connell captaining a mens team as a teenager, kind of shows the level of prospect he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I've been informed that for the double header against Barbarians the North and South terraces will be closed. Meanwhile the (single header) friendly against Crusaders is looking likely to be sold out

Anybody who still thinks these games would draw a bigger crowd in Thomond needs to start changing their tune fairly rapidly. I include myself in that!

• Advertisement

There are many, many reasons for this and of course some will just look at attendances and draw whatever conclusions they want to suit their narrative.

Would the double header have got more ticket sales in Cork? It's very hard to know but I doubt it in the same way I didn't think we'd sell out Thomond Park for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Barbarians game is in the middle of the RWC. It was never going to be anything close to a sell out. Crusaders would have sold out Thomond.

Yes there are many reasons for this but the main reason I think is that support for Munster rugby is dropping off in what was once the biggest city in the country for rugby support

The narrative I'd be pedaling here is that Thomond can't sell out for a double header against the Babas but that Cork can sell out a significantly bigger stadium for a friendly against a small club.

Is all of Limerick going to the RWC? Crusaders is February 3rd which is the day after France V Ireland in the 6N

I don't know how you can claim Crusaders would have sold out Thomond when two Babas teams can't

There is no narrative. The games that went to Cork (SA and Crusader) would have sold out Thomond. The Barbarians games would probably have sold out Musgrave, but nothing bigger than that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Limerick, on it's own, never sells out Thomond. We rely on fans travelling from around the province and country. The Barbarians are a shadow of what the used to be and haven't been a draw in years. They don't fill stadiums any more and were never going to draw fans from around the province in preseason during the world cup.

The Crusaders are one of the best club sides in the world and are a draw. They will draw fans from all around the province and country. Cork fans on their own wouldn't have sold out the SA game. That game sold out in a few days BTW and the Crusader still hasn't sold out.

A quick look on ticketmaster suggests that most of the east/west stands are available for babas suggesting it could be a very small crowd there. Meanwhile the MRSC allocation of Crusaders was sold out in just a few days and even now there are only Blackrock/City terrace tickets left on TM

You keep beating the World cup drum, yet Ireland aren't even playing next weekend what could possibly be on that would clash with this?

Look, you've a history of running with your hot takes, that literally nobody agrees with. I'm not going down that rabbit hole again, so I'm leaving it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Agreed. Not sure how balanced it is and they have a long way to go on development (not sure Sean even makes the academy) but that's one of the most athletic back rows you'll ever see in a Munster jersey.

You have a history of thinking you're always right and belittling people who you disagree with so forgive me if I celebrate you leaving it there

But just so you know "hot takes" are personal opinions, strong ones at that. Munster selling more tickets to Cork friendlies V Thomond friendlies is not an opinion of any kind, it's a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seems like a fairly early ko. Not like it would be clashing with a later RWC match if it was on later. Is it cause its a friendly and time suits home team/supporters better?

Funnily enough it's clashing with Argentina v Samoa. I would have thought getting to the Sportground for 5:30 on a Friday would be chaotic with the traffic in Galway.

• I personally don't think the Barbarians are they draw they once were. I'm a season ticket holder, haven't missed a game in years and will probably give this game a skip. Even the majoirty of the squad are fairly poor, to be expected with it being played during the RWC. I expected to see some Irish fringe players line out with a view to keeping them match sharp in the event of a call-up.

The Baa-Baas are over-saturating themselves imo. They've played Bristol, Northampton and Scarlets in the past 3 weeks. They have a fixture vs Harlequins next month and I believe there is a Barbarians squad playing Gloucester the same day they play Munster. Its obvious their fee isn't massive or clubs wouldn't be booking them to pay.

I looked online for attendances from any games they've played recently. The only comment I could see from the Bristol fixture was from Bristol Live "Not sure if we'll get an official figure but I reckon we're looking at a quarter-filled Dolman, a third-filled South Stand and roughly about the same for the Lansdown Lower." 1/4 Dolman stand = 1500. 1/3 full South Stand = 2000 and 1/3 full Lansdown Lower = 2000. Approx 5500 in attendance. If Munster do 8-10k, they'll do well.

Interestingly, it appears whoever is brokering the deals for the touring sides has a good relationship with Munster and Bristol. By next February, both will have played SAA, Barbarians and Crusaders.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

From MFs

Result of the A game

FT Connacht 45- 31 Munster 'A'

Munster led by 21 at ht

Munster beat Connacht 24 - 19 according to twitter. Trys from Coombes, Barron and Scannell. 3 cons and a pen from Carbery

• I purchased the stream from Connacht Rugby for €7.

i thought Joey looked sharp, which I’m delighted to see. Let’s hope he can put last season behind him now and kick on with a run of games.

Shay McCarthy went well also.

Physicality wise it looked more like a URC game than a pre-season friendly. Should definitely stand to both teams

Once upon a time Munster and Thomond used to be the draw. Now we have a double header with decent ticket prices and it's looking like we would be doing well to draw a few hundred in.

Interestingly, it appears whoever is brokering the deals for the touring sides has a good relationship with Munster and Bristol. By next February, both will have played SAA, Barbarians and Crusaders.

This came to my mind also, I think it's good to see happen, such coordination is always a draw for touring sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Its the babas not being a draw pretty much anywhere combined with its timing. cant compare it to the big touring international sides.

Advertisement