Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,642 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That was until the Tory government that came after them screwed the fire service even more.

Fire stations were closing all over the country under Cameron.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Carrington resigned following the Falklands. He had acted outside his remit and was humiliated by Thatcher - or maybe he was just a patsy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If the Argentinians didn't want their ships sunk they should not have invaded UK territory.

This is a bizarre avenue of attack to take on Thatcher when there are many, many correct ones to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he was definitely one, or both of those yes.

i guess we will never know.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

victim blaming as the sinking of the belgrano was a breach of international law and not a legitimate act of war, and they were simply taking back their own territory.

it was outside the conflict zone and was damaged such that it would not have been able to re-enter the war unless it perhapse lasted years, which both sides knew that wouldn't be the case.

any line of attack will do when it comes to thatcher, she deserves everything she gets and should be shown in as bad of light as is possible, all of the time, every time.

• Advertisement

It was a perfectly legitimate act of war. They were not surrendering.

Also the Argentines were not the "victims", the Falklanders were.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not so sure the UK would be as willing to go to war over the Falklands these days. They've become a lot more inward and nationalist in outlook.

Having said that, the Tory Brexit regime would probably go to war alright but for purely cynical PR reasons and not because they give a flying fig about the Falklands or the people who live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Never mind willing, are they still able to mount such an operation..

it was a breach of international law and has been recognised as such as the ship was not only way outside the conflict zone, but was no longer capable of war without serious repair, meaning those on it were victims.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

getting back to recent British politics, this comment from Matthew Syed is quite apt in how trust in politics is being constantly eroded by politicians who undermine themselves, their policies and their promises...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If only they had a written constitution, and a Supreme Court willing to enforce it.

It absolutely has not been recognised as such. The ship's own captain doesn't even think it was. The ship was absolutely capable of war, but regardless that does not stop it being a legitimate target. They would need to surrender for that. It's a war, don't start one if you don't want your vessels sunk.

The UK and Thatcher are close to blameless over the entire Falklands mess.

the ship was heavily damaged, uncapable of further war without substantial repair which would have taken a serious amount of time meaning it would never have reentered the war anyway unless it had lasted a substantial amount of time which it wasn't ever going to.

the argentines did nothing wrong, they were simply taking back part of their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This week's Labour U-Turn:

Going to be utter dross v dross next election, but that's seemingly what people want. No meaningful change, just a change of colour from blue to red (for at least a few years anyway).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

It is a relatively meaningless U-turn.

Eliminating the charitable status of the schools is far harder, while applying VAT is straightforward and accomplishes basically everything they are trying to do anyway. Seems practical to me, which is a damn sight better than the entirely optics driven, culture war nonsense politics of the Tories.

I think these tweets highlight just why it's such a cop out, and if they are going to achieve what they wanted in the first place anyway as you suggest, perhaps that should have been their initial policy announcement?

At the very least it's just bad politics to continually announce a policy idea then go back on it, why not have a little think first and be sure of the policy they are going to announce.

At the very least it's just bad politics to continually announce a policy idea then go back on it

I don't really disagree on this, but they've been in opposition for 13 years. They are making mistakes. I think this is still an improvement of ploughing pig-headedly forward with policies that both make zero sense and are entirely unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,642 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

These pathetic attempts to paint Labour as the same as the party that pulled the UK out of the EU and gave us PMs Johnson, May, Sunak and Lizzy Lettuce are just utterly tedious and blatantly dishonest.

For fuk sake I was a hard left Labour member and Corbyn voter and even I can see the vast chasm between Starmer's Labour and the Tories.

to be fair starmer needs to absolutely get out there and show this.

he needs to put together policies and stick to them, and stop running scared of the daily mail.

he is ahead thankfully but a win is not guaranteed and those who believe they are all the same may be the difference between at worst losing, or at best him just scraping past the post in the end.

as i said i really hope he has some ace up his slieve that he is holding back until the last minute, that he will use to absolutely destroy the tories on election day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I can't understand an opposition leader who is terrified of saying anything that will offend supporters of the government party, a party that is absolutely hated by a large section of the public. It's really quite mental.

• Advertisement

yes it's a strange one, especially as those who would vote tory now would never vote for labour anyway, no matter what.

old school tories and even 2010 tories would be more likely to vote lib dem perhapse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You don't win without southern England. Scotland is still likely to send more SNP MPs to Westminster than Labour ones. That shortfall needs to be made up.

I'm not trying to defend elitist private schools or anything but it's a weird one to such a prominent issue given the state of the health service, the economy and so on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LOL

The...ahem..."Labour" Party.

The British, and by that I mean the English, are a naturally conservative people. So they'll be inclined to vote Tory or Tory lite.

The only time they've ever truly ventured into "meaningful change" with regards to social aspects was after the war when they voted in Atlee's cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

You can't understand because you don't want to understand.

Let me guess. Live in Ireland but get all your UK news from The Guardian?

Labour needs to aim for that centre vote as much as possible. Corbyn did not get elected and him and his policies wouldn't ever get within a mile of Downing Street. They tried and it resulted in an increased Tory majority in December 2019.

Because of the Tory infighting, it's forgotten quickly how divisive things are within Labour.

Labour not only needs to win traditional towns in the south east such as Crawley, Basildon, Harlow, these are the areas that drift back and forward between Labour and the Conservatives, but also making inroads into other areas that the Tories over the last decade, and even historically, would have kept Blue. Hence the private schools decision.

Labour want obviously to have a sole government working majority. At worst, a coalition with the LDs. I'd expect more of this type announcement over the next year. The hard left can cry as much as they want to. They're either on board or they can just shut it.

You might well see a 'vast chasm' but I don't think any Labour Policies, that they've stuck to, supports a 'vast chasm' between the two.

Starmer will be better than the Tories and I would imagine (hope) they'll be more dynamic once in power, but the Greens, SNP, Lib Dems, 'others' will all be banging the same drum that Labour offer no change at the next election, and rather than just being upset that people are saying it, they need to show they're not the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think there is a vast chasm. Everything the Conservatives have done, from austerity to Brexit to the mini budget has been a disaster.

If Starmer did absolutely nothing, he'd be an improvement. Small parties banging drums makes zero difference thanks to fptp.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

They were all abysmal ideas by the Tories, agree 100% but what hugely different policies have Labour put forward to end austerity? What policies are they suggesting with regard to Brexit, because they've categorically stated they aren't rejoining the EU.

I've no idea why they're announcing anything to be honest. The election hasn't even been called yet.

H. H. Asquith

Of course they have The last thing they want is a GE relitigating the Brexit referendum. Notwithstanding that, rejoining the EU is not within their gift.

He has talked about closer alignment and while I find his talk of "making Brexit work" tedious, he has very little choice as it can not now be reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

I'm not totally surprised at the public school charitable status U-turn (using the British definition of public schools here, what we would call private schools). Some labour MPs will have kids in public schools. (They have had in the past, tho the best of my knwledge.) A lot of middle class labour voters will too, and senior civil servants, and lots of potential political donors. Basically anybody in England who can afford to send their kids to public school is quite likely to do so, and it doesn't mean they are all going to Harrow and Eton. Whatever about how this looks to voters (and I persoanlly am completely in favour of pulling the charitable status of these schools) it's probably a pragmatic, and somewhat cynical, attempt to avoid upsetting a lot of influential people, including quite a few of their own MPs and supporters.

Advertisement