Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think where you're going wrong is when you think these people represent a "large section of society". There is nothing, and there never has been anything, to suggest that this is the case.

The idea that these individuals are representative of anything or anyone is a delusion that exists solely in their heads (and it appears, in the heads of some posters here).

I don't know why anyone would think we have to be accommodating of their "views". If they want their views listened to then they should ensure that come election time they all vote for a party that holds their views, and when this right-wing party storms to power we will all have no choice but to sit up and pay attention.

I don't buy this crap about us being less accepting either, that's another trope that's trotted out, again by these individuals trying to portray themselves as something more than they are. Minority views have always been minority views, I think the real change is in the past these minorities didn't have the platform available to them to shout so loudly, and perhaps it was more difficult for people to delude others into thinking their views were more mainstream than they really are.

TLDR: the lunatic fringe has always existed, the lunatic fringe shouts louder these days (particularly on issues such as Bill Gates microchipping your granny) but ultimately it's still the lunatic fringe of society

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What are you on about? They gave you the red ones instead of the green ones didn't they!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, even most people who would vote for a populist party wouldn't resort to pushing and shoving a politician on the street and calling him all sorts of names to his face (nor would they attend an anti-refugee protest).

I do think the noisiest people are hugely overrepresented - there's probably a couple of thousand of noisy Irish cranks on social media but they are all over every story about vaccines, refugees / Ukrainian people, LGBT rights, climate change, hate speech laws etc and giving the impression there are hundreds of thousands of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Imagine if our lot in the Dail had to spend a week governing France! They’d know what protesting is really all about then. The hand-wringing and hysterical nonsense about this on media over the last few days is nothing short of astounding. Ireland, the country where you free to protest, but be nice, and only protest issues we want you to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Sure if the leaders of this are truly representing a large proportion of Irish people, they can run themselves as candidates in 2025. Surely they'll win on the first count...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Sorry now, but the video I watched was not harmless.

There was pushing and shoving.

Absolute scumbag behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

When the politicians of this country push and shove the citizens here around with their shambolic governance, they deserve a wake up call. I don't condone them being physically assaulted but the rest should serve as a reminder they are there and meant to serve us and not themselves or anyone else.

You can't particular say they serve us when we've got crises in education, health, housing, crime/justice, and an absolute failure across a variety of areas constantly being highlighted. Our cities are being run down to poor Gardai numbers and enforcement and some terrible sentencing.

Plenty of polls across mainstream media and sites have shown that the Irish people think we are taking in too many immigrants (which considering the housing crisis we already have and the fact they're sleeping in tents shows that we probably are) and the hate speech bill is being pushed through despite the public consultation on it being overwhelmingly against it, so the government aren't even listening to the people and just doing what they want even when people are clearly saying no.

People in this country should have pushed back stronger a lot earlier (they would have in France for example), so the fact it's only now reached it's boiling point is probably a good thing considering the years of mismanagement.

You can only push people so far before they start pushing back, so the government better change their tune in order to avoid this, and not just retreat further into their own bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,539 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its the "SILENT MAJORITY" they are fighting for.

It just happens they are silent because they are too busy working 24 hours every single time theres a vote hence they never actually speak.

But the "SILENT MAJORITY" definitely exists, and these brave protestors are the heroes they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,363 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The silent majority are the problem then - I wonder how loud minority are going to deal with them? Projecting the blame onto everyone else, probbaly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Just look at RTE’s coverage of the migrant centre protests. If you protest hundreds of migrants (the vast majority being young men from countries with backwards views) being dumped in your small town with no services then you must be a racist and we won’t let you have any airtime.

The case we still can’t discuss that happened in the northwest just highlights the issues being created.

Politicians have now bypassed the planning permission process as they know people don’t want their area ghettoised and property devalued. The very people that cheer this on would protest it happening in their own neighbourhood. RTE won’t even discuss this topic. They have gone from don’t question the church forty years ago to the opposite, far left open boarders extremism. It’s like they cant be in the middle.

Post edited by Potatoeman on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What "wake up call" do you think was received by anyone yesterday?

Politicians will look at that and (rightly) say "These are people that would never have voted for us anyway, if they vote at all and the people that do or might vote for us will have been repelled by their actions"

There is nothing that any of the parties or Independents that will actually have seats in the next Dail could say or do to make those people vote for them so why should they try?

The reality is that the people that turned up yesterday and the people that didn't, but think that what happened was acceptable or worthwhile either won't vote next year or will vote for a fringe nutter that will get eliminated on the 1st count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭yagan

Regardless of left/right, this current age is seeing individuals going off the deep end with their chosen causes.

Before the explosion of social media like FB and Twitter Jihad Jane was example of someone self radicalising by watching youtube videos. When she was first caught she hadn't even been in a mosque before, but many media reports had assumed she had been radicalised by others, when in the cut of it she did most of the running.

Extreme individual behaviour isn't the reserve of any end of any public discourse, the cause is merely the conduit for the extreme behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well yeah if you are excusing it and downplaying of course you should feel bad.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I think they want to kill all gay people and foreigners to leave Ireland and bring back the priests to rule the country like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That's exactly what they want. There's no dramatism at all, they want murder everyone they hate.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well they're rattled, and expecting more protests next month on Budget day so want to restrict protests to 1.6 km away! Talk about an over reaction. I used maps.ie to measure out that distance from Leinster House and Parnell Square is 1.6 km away as the crow flies. As is the 3 Arena, Cork Street, Lower Rathmines Road and Ringsend. So are we to take it that if this actually happens all protests are now restricted to being outside this circle?

And people complain about politicians living in a bubble.

this is reminiscent of the "Free Speech Zones" that were implemented in the US under GW Bush 21 years ago. The same ones that were described as a form of censorship and PR management to hide protests from the general public. Also the ACLU campaigned vociferously against these zones. Like it or not, protest is an important part of democracy, as outlined in this article from Daniel Gillion in the Princeton University Press "Why Protests Matter in American Democracy" which deals with the history of protests and the BLM protests in the US in 2021. The point still stands for any democracy.

"Because protests place issues on the political agenda, and work to make those issues salient to the public and individuals in power, protests have the potential to shift voters’ evaluation of political candidates. These informative protests can act as a mobilizing force that draws passion from constituents, heightens their interest in a relevant topic, and later increases the likelihood that they turn out on Election Day. . . . Not only are voters influenced by protest activity, but potential politicians looking to run for office assess their political chances of success by observing the level of activism in congressional districts. Conceived in this manner, protests are the canaries in the coal mines that warn of future political and electoral change. And it is the loud minority communicating to the silent majority that makes this possible."

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Protests outside the Dáil are a sign of a healthy free Democracy.

The government has a lot to answer for by the poor standards of that protest though.

A once proud nation of protestors brought to such a pitiful state. How did we lose the intelligent articulate people who used attend these events?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Thing is, nobody can actually explain what this protest was even about. It seems to have been to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Well the fact that Sinn Fein are still the most popular party in the country cant be denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

If what your talking about existed maybe but sadly its fictional, no surprise a narrative you made up yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

I don't know, but it's certainly not the government's fault.

This only works if the protest is peaceful and orderly. If it gets unruly to the point of threatening or with the potential to turn violent, then yeah - of course there's going to be restrictions.

Therein lies the problems with the arugment above: Saying "oh we have the right to protest!" is flawed because 1) protesters do not have to right to turn violent, and 2) the right to protest is not being taken away, it's just being restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I would say that pro mass immigration people are right wing, because the results are enrichment for a few, casualties for the rest in the form of stabbings and ghetoisation and the rich bypass all the downsides.

There was actually aplan to locate migrants in D4 hotel but quiet words were said to TDs the migrant centre was swiftly relocated to ballymun.

Therein lies the problems with the arugment above: Saying "oh we have the right to protest!" is flawed because 1) protesters do not have to right to turn violent, and 2) the right to protest is not being taken away, it's just being restricted.

Once again though, many on here feigning outrage, defended violent protests in America a few summers ago. "Violence is the language of the unheard" was a quote often used, and those protests were a hundred times worse than what we saw the other day.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Any party opposing mass immigration is called far right in the media. That study another poster linked to specifically stated that parties opposed to immigration (the tories in the UK) will be classified as far right in polls in the future. Right wing is conservative and left wing is liberal, traditionally. Stances have shifted over time, big tech are liberal, vote democrat but avoid paying taxes in the US, the left wing is trying to restrict free speech so the waters are muddied.

Post edited by Potatoeman on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

"Mass immigration" can be quite a loaded term (often used by the far right ironically). Immigration is just immigration...I'm not sure the word 'mass' needs to be added to it.

Doesn't challenge my point, so take that up with whoever you're talking baout.

The US recently started heading down 17-22 year prison sentences to people who protested violently, and rightfully so. If the protesteors arrested yesterday got jail time, I wouldn't be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Yeah but that violence is OK because they agree with it.

If you are of the opinion that violent protests should never occur regardless of whether they're right or left wing protests you are automatically labelled as right wing or typically far right for not giving your support to left wing violent protests.

Our left wing politicians were very vocal in supporting the BLM riots, I had a leaflet come through my door from the bowld Paul Murphy extolling the virtues of the BLM movement amongst other things (Nationalising everything in sight was high on the agenda also), which isn't surprising given his own history of turning a blind eye to violence at his own protests.

Glazers Out!

The US recently headed down 17-22 year prison sentences to people who protested violently, and rightfully so.

Yet many of the people involved in the violent protests I've spoke of got off scott free, which proves my point. It's all ideological to many, and has nothing to do with applying the same standards to both sides. It's just if it is your side no matter how bad it gets, it's deeply unjust if it's the other side even if it's far tamer in comparison.

• Advertisement

Why is it about "sides"? Can you not just debate what happened yesterday and discuss the people involved yesterday?

Or is it that you can't accept criticism of a group you support and leave it at that? You have to make it about someone else you don't suport so that everyone looks bad and not just the group you do supprt?

There was only one "side" there yesterday.

Advertisement