Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They would have put up hundreds. They got two wrong, but the planning system is so pernickety and the courts so particular, and objectors so proliferous, that that is enough to potentially scupper the scheme later back to square one, so better to avoid that possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I think that is fair though. If there are clear stipulations as to what's required and it hasn't been followed, then there's no one to blame but those responsible for erecting the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Something serious is going to have to happen in the short term, i know we've had 5 years of chat about bus connects, but that has given us 0m of new bus priority so appears to have been a waste of time. Rapid build bus priority measures like what was done with some walking and cycling projects could have, and still could give us an instant usable bus service.

Peak hour bus service Dublin is a complete mess in the real world right now but no noise about it on socials or in media. In the past 3 weeks I've observed 20 minute gaps between would be B-Spine buses, I.e no 37, 39/a or 70 for 20 mins in the 5 to 6pm peak. And if you wait the 20 mins the bus will be full and go past you anyway. Majority of intending passengers have given up and walked, some got taxis, some I've spoken to are switching back to bringing their car into town even if it takes a long time to drive it. I've observed 40 minutes gaps on the north side bit of the 46a but more often gaps of 20 mins. Same 20 min gaps on G buses. Drumcondra often goes 15 mins with no bus.

For most people in Dublin, Dublin Bus is the only way to get around because there's nearly no rail coverage and half of the rail coverage that exists is antiquated diesel locos that will either boil you or freeze you on your way if you can fit onto one of the hourly 'commuter' services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Was the original launch date for the southern orbitals not this time last year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's not just peak time anymore, there's full or busy buses everywhere all at once.

My bus in the morning (13) regularly leaves 30+ people behind from Emmet Rd in. 20 minute gaps between 13s, the next one will be just as full, G routes make no impact, then there's dwell time at College Green as the whole bus disembarks at one stop. Blustery mornings like this morning or the morning to come later would make you wonder why they perservere. Someday, it'll change people's travelling habits..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The lack of priority is really not the biggest problem facing the bus service at the moment.

That in my view is still the ongoing driver shortage - there are still significant numbers of cancelled and curtailed departures every day on Dublin Bus and on Bus Éireann too, and that is principally what’s causing the gaps.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

There also needs to be a serious recruit and retain effort. But there's nothing stopping rapid build bus priority from being put in place, just officialdom lacking any interest. There's also still 0 enforcement of existing bus priority, bus lanes in Stoneybatter, Dorset Street and Phibsboro are quite simply 24hr free parking zones. It's a multi pronged effort required and that's what busconnects has promised, but it seems that the NTA has, yet again, failed to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Speed up the buses and you need less drivers, so it is part of the multi-faceted solution.

It is of course, but none of the infrastructure improvements are going to happen quickly enough to facilitate the extra drivers needed now and to deliver the next few phases of the new network.

They can’t deliver the current service and they need 50+ extra on top of the current staffing requirements to deliver the S2 & L25.

The entire bus industry is facing the basic problem of not being able to recruit and retain sufficient staff. The 24 hour services, while attractive to many customers, are detested by many drivers due to the hassle involved. Add the housing crisis to this mix and you’ve got the perfect storm.

We have had the biggest recruitment campaign by the bus companies ever and they still don’t seem to be able to get the numbers that they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Do we have accessible number of required number of drivers to run service, required number of driver surplus to introduce new services, a number of drivers recruited each quarter and a number of leaving driver and how many of them are the new recruited ones? If not, then those who are responsible for this not doing their job. It's basically a lack of a can do attitude in resolving (not solving) this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

You can't force someone into a job. Obviously there is something unattractive enough about bus driving which is keeping people away.

I don't know if it's poor wages, poor work-life balance, antisocial behaviour or a combination of them all, but we are well over a year of this chronic shortage and not much has changed. If the NTA want services fulfilled, they are going to have to up the ante in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I wouldn't call the wages "poor" (in comparison with other jobs), but they're clearly not enough to encourage a sufficient number of people to look beyond the poor work-life balance, the perennial risk of antisocial behaviour, the uncomfortable driving seats, the lack of toilet facilities, the constant delays caused by Dublin's chronic car problem and the almost total absence of bus priority measures, the ludicrous timetables, the constant badgering of drivers for running a minute early, the stopping at empty bus stops to "get back on time" when the schools are off.

The NTA have made it a job that almost nobody wants to stick at for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The delays caused to BusConnects with the driver shortage unfortunately show no signs of improving. The recruitment problem is going on 2 years now, so what’s the solution? What is the plan to progress the much needed rollout? Are any actions been taken, for example, will the rate of pay offered to drivers be more competitive, will there be better designed driver rosters to address work/life balance? I have heard of drivers who struggle with the unpredictable changing hours of their rosters. They like the job but working one weeks of earlies and then one week of lates plays havoc with childcare and other life commitments. Addressing this issue alone would go a long way for driver retention. There is no reason why Dublin Bus cannot redesign their rosters, for example, to allow staff work mornings only, or evenings only or split peak shifts etc. People now choose careers which suit their life and bus companies need to adapt to that. For example, driving a bus in the morning peak and being at home with the family in the afternoon would be an attractive arrangement for many people. As would weekend only part time work etc.

Commuters need to hear precise plans of what is being done to retain and recruit drivers. Every BusConnects timeline issued has not been met and there’s nothing to give hope that it’ll be resolved in the near future. Nobody from the NTA has explained what they’re doing about it. It seems unless they are brought before an Oireachtas committee the regulator and operators do not communicate with their customers. Dublin Bus told politicians the driver issue would be resolved by March 2023, but as of today there are still gaps of an hour on major services because of no driver being available.

Passengers are fed up and drivers are stressed. It’s not a good result 5 years on from BusConnects launch which was supposed to transform the network. 2024 was supposed to be year for wrapping up the route network redesign.

There is a big campaign underway encouraging us to switch to public transport, and rightly so, but the sad reality is that the current service cannot cope with existing passenger levels. There are serious capacity and reliability issues with the new C and G Spine routes, the Blanchardstown corridor, and the N11 routes - all overwhelmed with passengers. Buses are full and leaving crowds behind at stops along their journey and where there’s a gap (and there are plenty) the routes just fall apart. 

An excellent summary KD345, but I’d add that it does appear to be a problem for the entire bus industry as a whole.

Many private operators across the country have also expressed their frustration publicly at how they cannot recruit staff.

It just seems that post-Covid, bus driving has become a far less attractive job for younger people to build a career in. The bus companies also are having massive problems finding people who want to be mechanics - that career seems to be facing similar issues.

Then, when you add in the economy being near full employment, the cost of living crisis, and also the particular costs of living in Dublin, it has become the perfect storm.

I don’t know what the solutions are - but I think that the politicians may need to get more involved in coming up with solutions, as the bus companies don’t seem to be able to resolve it alone.

And as “Streetlight” says, you cannot force people to work in a particular job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Dublin Bus was citing a driver shortage as the cause of the 25a having so many cancellations as far back as 2017. If you pushed them beyond the "operational reasons" which was their favourite Twitter excuse, that's what they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It should have been clear for years now that higher capacity systems are needed. Metrolink and DART+ provide that but only to limited catchment areas. Luas is a good system but can't be rolled out quickly, sufficiently segregated corridors are very rare and again can only serve a limited area.

Higher capacity buses, i.e. articulated buses, were obviously needed and the BusConnects corridors could have been designed to accommodate them. That opportunity has been missed and we will be stuck with DDs which we can't find enough drivers for.

BusConnects is a 20th century solution to a 21st century problem.

Indeed, a bus based system as the main spine of public transport easily falls apart in cities over 1m population, the proportion of drivers to passangers is simply too high. We need rail coverage ultimately like normal cities that exceed 1m inhabitants. Buses can only do so much and shouldn't be serving as the main radial PT service to major suburbs. Even with a full complement of drivers there are massive issues.

The theoretical busconnects frequency tables show buses every 4 minutes on the busiest corridors (3 minutes on the A spine), this is quite simply a piece of light entertainment/fiction.

This is achievable with full BRT but unachievable with only suggested priority, driver interaction, sharing with cars, sharing with left turning lanes and a culture of 0 enforcement and parking where ever one likes at any time for free. It's sort of laughable that the consultants came up with a 3 minute bus frequency and the NTA agreed that this is practical, especially on the swords cbc which is designed to be not all that different from the current set up where we have 15 min real world frequency through Drumcondra in the peak hour. Has this 3 mins been achieved anywhere in the world? Even with the strictest of enforcement of bus priority and fully staffed operators?

A quick Google shows me that Hong Kong achieves 2 minute frequency on a bus route that connects an area consisting entirely of government housing to a metro station, Hong Kong motor tax is 100% the value of the car so its safe to say that a road serving only government housing is effectively bus/bike only.

In Vancouver there's a 3 min frequency on a trolly bus that operates on an entirely segregated route.

So are the NTA saying that we are going to have one of the most frequent bus services in the world running on a totally normal bog standard bus lane on a totally normal road.

The whole system of fiction and disfunction needs to be abolished and replaced with something that can deliver real world improvement immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm on the E1 route and see that theres notices up on the junctions to be changed... good news, not only will I be able to get a 24 hour bus home from town and save a huge amount on taxi fares, I'll also be able to get to Blackrock & Dun Laoghaire much easier once all the routes are in place... I'll even be able to get onto the Luas line which I can't do right now... this kind of connection makes buses a real option!

Does anyone know how long it'll be until the E1 route is due to be up and running & whether the local routes will be included at that stage or whether they will follow at a later stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think this is one of the most honest critiques of Bus Connects. Dublin City is a Peak Bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

nobody knows really - next spring was the most recent estimate I saw. The spine and local routes should be launched at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the original BC design was done by Jarrett Walker's consultancy who (most people would agree) know a bit about this stuff. Whilst some of the routing has been changed, the basic spines and frequencies haven't been altered much. So did they just ignore the practicalities of staffing ratios etc, or was it just outside their brief?

I don't expect consultants are meant to take staffing issues into account. But if we make it a theoretical exercise and imagine full staffing, even then how can a 3 minute bus frequency be provided on a normal road? This hardly exists anywhere in the world. Examples I can find elsewhere in the world are dictatorships with low car ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Of course they are... Consultants consider everything, unfortunately the world has changed since the begining of the process and it is becoming more difficult to find staff. But it's likely they'll do a recruitment drive abroad... something needs to happen if we insist on increasing our economy and population to such an extent.

There was a local politician claiming that the E spine was starting in February and the F spine this November but hard to see it happening that way with the current issues across the Dublin Bus network.

I've just switched to cycling more even though for longer trips it can be exhausting and at times impractical but better than standing at bus stops for an hour in the hope of reaching your destination some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

E1 wont be going to Blackrock directly, It will be following the current 46A route, which you would need to change a bus to get direct access to Blackrock

The Blanchardstown routes (B3 and B4) will be the spinal routes serving Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I'm currently on a ship travelling north towards Ancona in Italy and judging by the amount of drivers on holidays, I suspect a large amount of buses are off at the moment.

The F - spine will include the 140 out of Broadstone and a few others aswell and by the looks of it, it'll be February or March before it's up and running.

There's new zones coming to Broadstone in November that will consist of the 15 and 151 in zone 1, and the 1,16 and 140 in zone 2. All marked in drivers will be driving all 3 routes then.

The 140 will be removed from it when the F-spine comes on stream. The 120 will be moving back to Summerhill then too. It's all a mess and I don't think anybody knows what their doing anymore. I'm not the only one looking to get out after nearly 30 years. The NTA are a quango, at best, that love the sound- bites associated with the launch of something, but it only falls flat on it's face after that.

Post edited by rx8 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The E1 will go to Ballywaltrim which will be copying the 155 bus as far as Bray Main St. It will skip the Dart Station and will then travel on it's extra stint down to Ballywaltrim after that.

The E2 will actually be copying the 46A route on the southside. It will go from Charlestown SC in Finglas to Dún Laoghaire Dart Station.

You are right to say however that the B3 and B4 will be serving Blackrock once the 39/39A's are scrapped in Blanchardstown.

According to this well have a report on camer a enforcement at the end of the year. GLACIAL is the only word I can think of. Do we really need another report?

https://irishcycle.com/2023/09/21/whats-next-for-the-planned-rathmines-bus-gate/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

9 pm last night on a 39a from Dawson St to Prussia st

1. Bus had to fight to get into the stop due to all the taxis hovering for a fare outside Cafe en Seine
    2. Bus was full and chock a block - we left passengers at two stops on the quays and a bunch of other people joined at Law Society and Stonybatter ( as always ). another 39a was close behind, also jammed.

• Advertisement

Advertisement