Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

I agree. I think that there is a 'lot of anger' being expressed but only by a minority who are psychologically disposed to do so in a scattergun nihilistic way . Most people may feel some element of annoyance and frustration with how systems work so slowly and inefficiently ( myself included) but choose other more effective means of dealing with what confronts them. In fact many people who broadly support the current administration are extremely irritated that the government is so inept at explaining complicated policies before the opposition can set the agenda with all kinds of exaggerations and misrepresentations...e.g. the general level of communication about immigration has been woefully inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

As much as I dont condone the physical violence element, most democracies in the world are built on it and not peaceful and orderly protests. The French took people's heads off in order to eventually turn into a democracy (it took a while after but it was the catalyst), the US constitution is bathed in blood, even ourselves, we're likely not the state we are today without people taking to violence.

Protests turn violent when you put people's backs against the wall and give them no options. As is, whether it's SF, FF, FG etc, it's all going to be the same crap no matter who we vote for, and even when they don't get into a majority, we get confidence and supply agreements. Politicians either need to serve the electorate a lot better or things will worsen here protest-wise. All you really need is a worldwide recession like 2008 again and the dam will burst here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Mass immigration would be 100k refugees in a year to a country with a population of 5 million. 8.5k landing on an island with a population of 7k. Immigrants would include people with visas and jobs that have to take care of themselves, that’s completely different to refugees that rely on the state to be feed and housed. Though they both need to be managed, infrastructure and planning is needed but refugees are completely different to legal migrants that will take care of themselves but you know this from all the threads you post in, you are just wilfully playing dumb, again. I’ve a real sense of deja vu.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Thats always the way though you cant have an opposing view these days no matter how peaceful it is without being branded, You cant be against endless waves of unvetted foreigner's coming over and collecting the dole and everything else or your a racist, You cant speak on LGBTQ and some of the controversial aspects of it without being branded a homophobe or something. You cant voice a concern about the vaccine or your a mental.. and on it goes, there in lies where frustration grows when one side can silence the other thru a false sense of righteousness.

No matter how open to dialog and how reasonable the concern of a person/group there is always a group of extremists within those groups that instantly create conflict by branding and attacking the opposing view.

In my opinion its those extremists that need to be targeted and brought to heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

1.5m Irish born people are also living abroad currently. Would that be 'mass' emigration then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Yes and it's problematic also, we need to create a country that people can stay in comfortably, afford a home and have first world services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You're a broken record, literally saying the same thing over and over. Comparative analysis is useless unless it's used in regard to problem solving. It doesn't matter how many have left, as they are gone, what matters to most of us is what's happening in the now on our little Island.

To answer your question, of course it is "mass", but what is your point exactly? Like I said they are the ones that have left, we are the ones who are here, and have a right to a say in the direction of our nation, even if people like you have nothing but disdain for that. And before you get to voting, a lacking of faith in democratic systems has been growing in the West for a long time, which is a nod to the fact that many think that our problems cannot be solved through modern political mechanisms for various reasons.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Are they working or living off welfare, did they migrate legally?

You said you were from the Baltics in another thread. Did you migrate legally, are you working? Are you a net tax contributor?

You do realise that you as a migrant calling for more mass immigration will not endear your cause to the masses. You always have the option to return to your home country if we have issues here as a result and the Baltics are not know for being pro mass immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

"Ireland summons her children to take back their liberty"

Can anyone explain to me what this phrase means? What liberties have the children of Ireland lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We're back to the 'Great Replacement' theory of the Dáil protesters. They are convinced there is a sinister plot between the Dail, NGOs and the mainstream media to move as many Irish people out of the country and replace them with outsiders. Would you agree with me that that is a crackpot and unhinged theory rooted in paranoia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Being built on it, doesn't make it acceptable now.

Either we accept this is the way of the future and get used to it, or we do not.

There are plenty of other ways when peoples' backs are against the wall and history is littered with successful peaceful protests - the Berlin Wall fell without a bullet being fired. What's needed is some mass civil disobedience, but the people in volved yesterday don't have the mental capacity for it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I see you didn't learn anything from yesterday....?

You can - you're just not capable of it.

The liberrty to lord it over someone you disagree with, tell lies about them and restrict their freedoms becuase you disagree with them and aren't intelligent enough to express it wihtout looking like a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I dont know about all the Baltics but I've been to Lithuania recently and I seen a single not white person and a gang of youngfellas were following him around making monkey noises, so I wouldn't take lectures on the topic from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Most democracies were conceived on the foundation of violent protest and revolution, however, most democracies that were overthrown were also overthrown by violent protest and revolution, the rise of Nazi Germany being one example, various military coups around the world are others, etc.

For Ireland, the question is, as we have a functioning democracy, a government elected by the majority of votes and voters, what purpose does physical violence achieve other than put the democracy at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

A smug consensus has been built up across all the parties over many years. This is reinforced by a media and NGO industry that insulates them from any criticism.

Immigration was beem made into a taboo subject by this cabal.

It is completely at odds with the general feeling in the country.

They just a got a taste of the anger on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You and everyone else in Ireland and in every western democracy can have any opinion you like no one is stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

You can but you'll be punished for it, which is wrong if you go against the popular narrative or express any sort of concern you will be targeted in subtle ways or thru exclusion or other sneaky methods. Take those that refused the vaccine or had concerns about it, they were all but on the receiving end of a witch hunt.. and now after the fact alot of the things and concerns they had were proven correct.

I did get vaccinated by the way so im not an anti vaxxer but i did see it happening and its fundamentally wrong and a problem within our society.

Your allowed your own opinion so long as its the popular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

You are trying to make it sound like you're not in the absolute minority. Irish people have a right to a say in the direction of the country, that is why they go out and vote. If people want to vote for change they can vote for change. These types of protests draw very low numbers and always the same grifting faces who are laughing all the way to the bank due to making money off gullible people who give them views and money. I think the point about narcissism was quite well made on the tonight show. You always see these types with some condescending "i know something you don't" attitude when in actual fact they are just being dangled along by the grifters who make easy money off them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Great ambition but not much chance of that though is there -when so many of the Irish people don't want to pay taxes -no TV licence for PS broadcasting , no water charges , no property tax. Hand out for free everything. Where do they think services and resources come from -they have to be funded and paid for -by the people who want them and use them.

We'd be properly goosed if it were not for the money that comes in from big tech and big pharma.

We get very bad value for money. Giving the PS more money will just go into wages as usual without any meaningful change due to the unions and general dysfunction. Look at RTE an overpriced TV license with advertising for a service most people don’t use as it’s crap and big bucks for the lads. The HSE is a money pit, and even general planning in slapdash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

People can agree with why the protest is happening but not agree with what happens within the protest itself.

It's why people see a difference between BLM (fighting for equality) and the Jan 6 riots (conspiracy theory looney toons), the violence in both was wrong, the reason why it was happening was completely bonkers for the Jan 6 riots (understanding that some people take advantage of riots to do stupid things like looting).

Similar here with the Dáil, the lunatic violent protests get dealt with and no one cares because their reasons for protesting are demented. It's why Murphy overstepped the mark by trapping someone in a car, the message of the protest got lost in the shenanigans that went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Let's just clarify, the people we're referring to have been harassing library staff across the country over LGBT books.... Then there's the same people who frequently make references to LGBT and grooming.... So ya, not just voicing concerns...

We proved several times that you responded to a poster who never mentioned a specific group and who wasn't replying to anyone else.

And there's my point - you're not cabale of expressing a point without lying. Not the right, you.

We're done here - I've nothing left to prove.

What things have been proved correct about the vaccine?

"Please remember that the benefits of COVID-19 vaccinations outweigh the risks of getting ill with COVID-19."

For a single selfish individual, the benefit of not getting vaccinated is real, if everyone else in the world gets vaccinated, as herd immunity prevents it from spreading to you. A sociopath might therefore consider not getting vaccinated.

We have first world services, move to Syria, Eritrea or somewhere like that if you think our services are bad.

Second world. I moved to Berlin and lived in Scandinavia for a while, so I KNOW services are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Garda Commissioner to carry out an investigation into Dail security I see.

Will they seek advice from Paul Murphy on the tactics of these scumbags? He has a good insight into this behaviour.

• Advertisement

We are closer to the standard of services in Berlin and Scandanavia than we are to second world countries like Brazil and Argentina. Try their slums out for a holiday experience of a lifetime.

We are privileged to live in Ireland, we are privileged to live in a country that is relatively safe, that is relatively wealthy, that has relatively good services, that provided a really excellent safety net to those who are poor, that provides the best education system in the world, with more people educated to third level than anywhere else. Why do you think we are receiving more than our fair share of immigrants? I'll tell you - it's because they recognise this is a great place to live.

Those who complain about the number of immigrants and refugees while also claiming this country is a mess are trying to have it both ways.

Advertisement