Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Oh no. I don't agree with this exclusion zone at all .

I guess we have those stupid thugs " protesting " yesterday to thank for that as well as knee jerk from our politicians.

This is just what anybody who engages in proper democratic protest and discourse in this country don't want :(

However I see from the article that despite your attempt at riling posters up thinking this is what is happening that is NOT THE CASE.

Both McEntee and Varadkar have said no they don't want an exclusion zone around Leinster House ..Dud you miss that or not read the link, or is this just an attempt at misinformation?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I didn't get to see the news all day yesterday, and only seen my first clip of the incident today online.

It was of MHR getting harassed whilst heading to get his laptop fixed!

Can anyone enlighten me as to what their beef is exactly with MHR? I'm no fan of him but what exactly did he do to deserve the wrath of the mob?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Protests are an expression of different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

So, by that point of view the "mainly peaceful" BLM protests that saw many cities in the US burn, should have been restricted by the authorities. Fair enough.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

I dont think a person should be referred to as a sociopath if they refuse to get a vaccine that's an extremist thing to say.

You are a shining example of what i was talking about, a select group ready to attack anyone that doesn't share there views.

Im not getting into a corona debate but we both know there is a mountain of evidence proving alot of what government's were saying about the vaccine as false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Go on, ignore my core point about people voting less because they don't trust the system to give them what they want, and tell me that the solution to these problems is voting.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Don't quote me, but I think it was to do with him applying for permission to house more refugees in one of his properties in Tralee.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,753 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Pick out which bit of the WHO advice you disagree with. I have no truck with conspiracy theories. Happy to engage with genuine concerns backed up with hard evidence, but not interested in the conspiracy theories, but yes, if everyone else is getting the vaccine and accepting a little risk for the good of the population as a whole, it is only the sociopaths who won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So you think the FF-Green government of 2007-11 that literally bankrupted the country was better? christ. 🙄

some perspective please

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,360 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

True, but we're still not great compared to other westernised countires.

if they were instigating violence, then yes - absolutely - why not?

But I can't comment on anything specific because you haven't mentioned anything specific.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

Jesus. You’d see more “violence” at any GAA match up and down the country every weekend.

What people are doing that?

What are the books called what are they about?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Some people seem to have a need to white knight the library protesters, people who may be rapists and other general cúnts for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Let’s be honest, they didn’t cover themselves in glory. They don’t recognise Taiwan. The lab leak theory was a conspiracy but now it’s widely accepted. Then in the US they discredited a Nobel prize winning biologist as he questioned their plan the whole thing was a bit of a sh*t show. I’m vaccinated by the way.

edit: mental health issues from lockdown, delays in screening for cancer. The list goes on.

See when you have to label someone who doesnt fall in line with your beliefs as a sociopath your already off to a bad start.

Im just gonna go ahead and assume that anything that brings into question what the WHO said is going to be dismissed as a "conspiracy".

Answer me this do you genuinely believe that there was no lies told ?

There will always be people who don't " trust the system " whatever that system is, and will listen to conspiracies on social media and engage in hype and drama . They are thankfully in the minority .

The majority engage in our democracy through elected councillors and representatives, people vote and even if they are not happy with the system see their vote as the best way to seek change and representation.

Power to change governments or anything else should not be handed over to a violent mob unless they are the majority of the people and are living in a society that is corrupt and undemocratic .

Only a conspiracy theorist could even begin to imagine that that is Ireland today .

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭geospatial

Not the thread for it, but herd immunity is not possible with Covid for a variety of reasons, mainly as the immunity conferred by vaccination (or infection) does not persist. Herd immunity is only possible if a vaccine (or infection) confers sterilizing immunity, which is not the case with Covid. The evidence for this is that people are getting Covid multiple times, even though they've been vaccinated and boosted.

As for relative benefits and harms, for vulnerable people (elderly, co-morbidities, weakened immune systems) the benefits of vaccination greatly outweigh the potential harms, for young healthy people not so much, or arguably not at all. Pressurizing young people to get vaccinated could be described as sociopathic behavior (ignoring the rights and feelings of others).

As for the WHO, they havn't a great track record on Covid, their early response was abysmal, especially arguing against travel restrictions.

“So many”? We’re currently at full employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,753 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We are at the low end of household work intensity with one of the highest proportions in Europe of households with nobody employed.

It doesn't show up in the unemployment figures, but our high rates of disability, our success at housing unemployed single parent families and low work intensity among pensioners (probably due to the relative generosity of those pensions) contribute to this issue.

This is delusional..

I don't know if you even go to GAA matches but if that was going on at a match people would be removed from the pitch and sanctioned . I have seen spectators told to leave by referees and other officials and banned from attending matches thereafter. Gardaí involved if they don't comply .

Noone puts up with that sort of skanger behaviour in sport or public life nor should they have to.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify your clarification.

The people you’re referring to were protesting over sexual content in books aimed at young children, even Leo Varadkar this week stated that some of these books were not “age appropriate”.

“On the issue of recent concerns being raised by some groups about the appropriateness of some school book teachings around sex education, the Taoiseach said books that are recommended for children and teenagers do need to be age appropriate. 

“I think there have been one or two examples where they weren’t, quite frankly. And I definitely think that sex education has to be age appropriate.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Clearly the GRA are happy to sit back and watch this stuff due to the Drew/roster issue

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Didn't realise having bottles of píss thrown at you was 'engaging with the public'

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Jeez pensioners don't have to work.." low work intensity among pensioners " ? ..and most have paid tax all their lives !

Don't be saying that pensioners were a factor in this protest ?

These people were in the 20 to 60 age group from what I have read or seen ..

Did think that too ;)

Especially as Drew not the most popular boy in town with them ...landing him in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thing is, I and lots of others don't consider it a functioning democracy.

It's like The Simpsons episode where the choice is Kang or Kodos, it's not really a choice, just an illusion of one. Voting FG, FF or SF, actually makes no difference, they're all out to **** us.

Wow i didnt even know that was a thing but that is messed up, why are they trying to introduce books like that to young children?

im interested to see whats going to happen with parents that refuse to tell there children there are 72 genders?

It will be interesting to see how schools are going to balance this, will boys be able to change in girls dressing rooms if they identify as a girl ect.

Seems like it will cause a fair bit of conflict down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

"Lots of others". Can you quantify how many constitutes "lot of others" and explain how you arrive at the figure? Otherwise you are just another poster engaging in hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

• Advertisement

I never said they were or not . I was replying to somebody talking about pensioners ...read the post I was replying to.

Advertisement