Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The VW portal just updated maybe 10 mins ago - The customer service person has appeared to have added a new contract/ activated a new contract (see attached). The app still isn't copping on to this, though. No payment requested when I was on the phone. (Nor was I expecting to pay to have the ability to stop/charge/monitor the battery via the app, to me this should be a normal default feature?)

I'm going to follow his troubleshooting tips again and see if it refreshes in the actual car.

My only concern is, will I still be able to charge the car? E.g., I always used the app, and assumed that was how it was done as standard - but I understand now that the app feature is more of a 'bonus' tool and I should be able to charge the car without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Did you try logging out of the app restarting your phone and logging back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I've tried everything, phone restarts, infotainments system restarts, privacy setting restarts, driving the car for 15 mins, all the troubleshooting recommended. It seems my contract has been renewed, but the app doesn't realize that yet, nor the car! I presume I don't need the app to start a charge at WeCharge compatible and Ionity charge points? I'm hoping I can just plug n' play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

You should be fine to start a charge without the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Ev fan

Going on a mini break tomorrow to Limerick from Sligo. Looking at charging(and coffee break) options I am thinking of stopping at the Galway Plaza on the way down for charging. Anyone with experience of travelling on this route let me know of my options - thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

The plaza is long enough trip off from that route. About 15-20mins each way.

Glynns in Carnmore cross would be closer and likely less busy though not as fancy. You'd be coming off at the rathmorrisey interchange for both

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Id3 went into VW Drogheda last Monday for update, battery module check and parking sensor.

Currently waiting on module parts from customs and collection pushed out to next Friday.

Loan car Cupra Born, interesting to compare the two cars. Kids like the flashy look of it. Few people asked who makes it and they don’t get the Cupra bit so have to tell them it’s a Seat. Enjoying driving it, nice car. Great service from VW so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TouchingVirus85

What does a 2020 1st miss out on? Heat pump I think anything else? I'm thinking about buying one with 65k km on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No reversing camera.

Which one are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TouchingVirus85

I don't want to post it in case I screw myself. It's a private sale and I have to sell my own car first as I do not have the money to buy it straight up. It will probably be gone by then as it's a good deal. (just from that you will probably know which ad it is, it's also white)

• Advertisement

If it's the one in Dublin that's not a 1st but a 1st Plus so it'll have the camera and matrix headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

You don’t need the heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I would be very surprised if you couldn't buy one currently or soon for 20k privately.

A three year old 1st will be slightly less before Christmas when all the initial PCP contracts are up and a 1st Plus maybe 21k?

I'd planned in driving my 2017 Ioniq into the ground but I could be tempted back into an ID3 as I loved my one.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

This appeared on my app. Car is 3 years old at the end of the month. Any idea what's it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Back again wth my timed charging issue. So pull into home and its set as a location to charge immediatly to 30% then to 80% for departure time. I pull in tap to charge for departure I was at 16%(at 7pm, depart following day 9am). Car charges but keeps going past 30%.

So I checked on the app what my settings were, all ok. Then I changed from charge and air con for departure to just charge for departure....and it stops charging and says waiting for departure time as it should perfect.

So me changing charge for departure with AC on/off seems to help it reember what I had asked it to do?

Does the Born have a choppier ride than the ID3? I find the ride in the Born quite choppy at times particularly on back roads, maybe the ID is a bit softer sprung.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

If it is a “1st plus” it has these extras, have seen several adds described as “1st”, when in actual fact they are a “1st plus”, there was circa 7k premium for the “1st Plus, when they 1st came out, the easiest visual differences to spot easily, is the two tone seating cloth, has the 1st badging, and it has a ski hatch.

You’re spot on, it’s definitely firmer on the road, slightly stiffer suspension and quicker steering.

If I was 25 again I’d be all over it 🤣

I wasn’t sure about it at first, the aggressive styling etc but it’s a great package. Gets a lot of attention.

Soft touch plastics and suede on the inside are lovely -

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's some debate over if you'd even notice a difference with the sport suspension on the Born so it seems there isn't a huge difference in ride comfort between the two cars. I'd be double checking the tyre pressure and making sure the transport blocks aren't still on the suspension. My rear tyres were 3-4psi over which made it fairly harsh/crashy.

The Born is a marginally softer ride than my old Golf, also on sport suspension, and that's with the Born having around 5% less sidewall. (215/45/20=97mm, 225/45/17=101mm).

On the topic of tyre pressure, I picked up this portable Xiaomi air compressor off Amazon for €50. Handy for topping up air pressure regularly since I don't go to the garage anymore. Didn't want to get a wired one as it would be a bit awkward to reach with the cigarette lighter in the back. Even has a light on top if you're caught out in the dark.

• Advertisement

Mine is very hoppy on poor roads, I've checked the tyre pressures and they were on the high side which I corrected sometimes it feels like there's no suspension at all😡. Where would I find these transport blocks? Are they between the spring coils?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's 3 pucks in each of the front springs during transport but you need to jack up the car to be able to get to them. I've seen mixed reports on whether you can check if they're there with the car on the ground. Apparently it's not uncommon for dealers to leave the last one there.

Definitely not hoppy or choppy, but that’s just me, tiny bit firmer ride and more reactive/tighter steering to the id3. My wife didn’t really notice any difference. I’ve a mix of 3rd class road, poor national road and motorway on my commute. 40,000km up on the id3 and 1200km up on the born so it’s reasonable time to compare both. Our id is the 77kw which may also skew things.

Whats with the reversing camera exposed under the number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PaulRyan97

There's been no indication yet that the ID.3 will receive that new AP550 motor from the ID.7 like the ID.4 and ID.5 have, is there?

Be interesting what efficiency improvements it could bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What's the deal with timed charging now on the ID3? I've never used it as I have a Zappi 2 and have always relied on boost settings.

I'm about to go onto a smart tariff with a 3hr window though but if I boost using the Zappi timers, the car continues to charge after the boost ends, albeit at a lower rate.

I'm wondering if I can use the car's timers to make it stop after 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes, they work if you are on latest VW software (v3.2).

Simplest method is set the "preferred time" in the car to 2-5. It should start/stop at those times. However, if you want the car to also soak up excess solar during the day you would have to change the car to "charge immediately" when that happens and then back to "preferred time" again when you want a night time boost. Not ideal to have to keep switching like that.

It is probably better all round to manage it all via the Zappi rather than having two sets of timers fighting each other.

Its a bit strange that the car keeps charging when your boost is complete. I presume that's because you have batteries and the Zappi is happy to let the charge session continue thinking its "renewable"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah I have 20kWh of storage.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did the original id3 have child locks on the driver's door up at the mirror adjuster? I know the id4 has, but looking at the new id3 that button isn't there anymore. Wonder is that because of all the child lock issues people have seen with the id4 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Comer1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The original ID.3 has a door lock button (see below, top right lock button) by the mirror adjustor alright but its not a child lock. You can still open the doors from the inside.

This is what it has

What does the new ID.3 have?

Advertisement