Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Silly conversation , talking about non existent blackouts that never happened .

You can't even admit you never read the out-of-date-by-a-year link before you posted it , or maybe you don't understand how inane that is , so in that case I can absolutely see you would be a supporter of the crowd that thought they were" storming the Dáil " on Wednesday .

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

I call these anti migrant racist protestors, Varadkar's Vigilantes as they seemed to be everywhere and all over the media just after Varadkar became Taoiseach again, these folk may not like Varadkar (who does ?) but they and their behaviour is a response to his gaslighting, he wouldn't shut up talking about helping refugees/Ukrainians all the while lots of people here couldn't get suitable accommodation themselves, it's like he wanted a response !

..education !

Why ? Quite simply the whole political system seems very distant and alien to an ever-growing amount of people. Think of the amount of people you know who don't even understand how our PR-STV voting works.

The whole thing needs to more transparent especially with regard to who our politicians are dealing with when it come to lobbying/lobbyists.

Why wouldn't people be angry with our political system when there is no accountability when it comes to scandals, it's always pass the buck, lessons were learned etc etc and nothing actually changes and no one ends up being held to account.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So you're confirming that you know sweet FA about what you're posting! The plants had reached end of life and were scheduled for closure.

The Green Party, who are credited for loads of government decisions by some eejits out there, had nothing to do with this! Its as if these eejits think that the Greens have a dominant influence on government decisions 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

Cool story

In an attempt to prevent an energy crisis, the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities (CRU) is in talks with gas and oil-burning electricity generators about keeping them open beyond scheduled closing dates in 2023 and 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'm pretty sure you knew I never said that there was "nothing to see here" in relation to the incident two days ago (for the record the people involved in the same are cretins who deserve precisely the same amount of respect they show to others themselves), but you posted a long winded personal attack stating that I did regardless (was it cathartic?).

So you can take your moral grandstanding elsewhere because until you display a basic level of respect to me I won't extend anything but polite indignation to you.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Not just cool but fact!

That there are discussions to try and keep them open doesn't negate your nonsense claim that the Greens were somehow behind their closure. Still, I suspect youll continue to credit the Greens and possibly other government parties for stuff that exists only in your head!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Throwing anything at somebody is assault and assault isn't par for the course for politicians to deal with and never should be.

I wouldn't choose steaming bottles of hot frothy piss as a hill to die on in defence of the right to protest.

Dignified respectful differences of opinion do not and never should extend to dousing people in bodily waste so let's just get beyond that once and for all.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Education? Are you sure? The last thing I'd have thought supporters of yesterday would want is a well-educated critical-thinking population pointing out the flaws in their ideas.

And considering most of them don't want things like foreign cultures and knowledge of different social groups on the syallabus, I'm pretty sure it's off their agenda for the foreseable future!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Another poster talking about an "ever growing number" but yet unable to quantify the number. Can we look forward to 0.000041% of the population at the next gathering of the rabble?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I dont think the general populations views are represented by this group but I dont think it's all rosey in the garden either. Just because people dont have time to go out and protest over various issues due to having to earn a crust and keep theirs lights on doesn't mean they don't exist and there is no underlying grievances with government policy over the last few years.

To state otherwise is either complete ignorance or a total biased view due more that likely to personal or vested interest. To state outright that political class need protection without looking at their own reflections is an indictment of their own making in my view. No matter how crude and violent these crowd of individuals are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If I had a fool proof solution, I'd probably go into politics myself and get it done (although would likely get called loads of slurs by the left when I started talking about restricting immigration).

Like I'm not anti LGBT/gay rights, abortion, ban library crazy like some of the lot at the Dail protest, but I do think we should have tighter border control (both in regards refugees and how fast we turn around their applications but also the English language school stuff and skilled immigration visas (plenty of countries will only grant visas for certain skills there).

I know some people will point to the pension situation and why we need immigration but that's really just kicking the can down the road, it doesn't solve the issue (unless you're hoping all the immigrants head home before looking for pensions here). Ideally we need to make it affordable for people already here to have a family and make peoples lives actually better. Like I think a lot of people want to have kids, they just are being responsible as can't afford them due to childcare costs in particular. We obviously need more Gardai and better enforcement and sentencing (if that means build a new prison, build one). There needs to be far better engagement from politicians in actually addressing citizens' concerns cos whilst they can point to GDP and jobs, this country has gotten worse in the last 15 years in most metrics.

Like I'm not anti LGBT/gay rights, abortion, ban library crazy like some of the lot at the Dail protest, but I do think we should have tighter border control

In what way are we not controlling our borders? Or is not just that too many darkies for your liking are seeking for asylum. Forgive my doubts but usually when someone starts talking about too many immigrants, etc they are usually racist bigots even if they don't believe it!

Like I think a lot of people want to have kids, they just are being responsible as can't afford them due to childcare costs in particular.

Are you suggesting getting rid of children's allowance as I'm completely in favour in doing that? Or what exactly are you trying to propose with this line as it's shoved in between stuff about immigrants and not enough prison places?

if that means build a new prison, build one

Easier said than done! Thankfully we have a system here that allows individuals to voice concerns. And pretty much everyone will have concerns if a prison isnprobosed next door to them!

There needs to be far better engagement from politicians in actually addressing citizens' concerns cos whilst they can point to GDP and jobs, this country has gotten worse in the last 15 years in most metrics.

List some of these metrics and how exactly are you comparing them to 15 years ago?

Thankfully we have a system here that allows individuals to voice concerns. And pretty much everyone will have concerns if a prison isnprobosed next door to them!

Mad how the “system” is able to be paused for asylum accommodation, but couldn’t be for a prison, which is vital state infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I suggest you look into what you claim to be knowledgeable in. The first paragraph is totally inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,539 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont like the idea of these dregs affecting sane protests in future.

Just prosecute/fine/ban from all social media all the dregs and dont change things for the normal folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

Is it not a bit unfair to be comparing Ireland to the quality/quantity of services provided by all governments. There is a lot of cherry picking also - eg something that Finland is doing very well and what are we doing about it?

(1) Ireland is an island and a small one at that compared to the other bib land masses - including the Uk , - such as Europe, North America !, Africa therefor extra cost re transport of exports, personal travel

(2) it’s population is RELATIVELY small when compared to lots of other countries . Therefor only so much tax can be collected to fund services. The concept of ‘ the scale of economies ‘ applies here.

(3) Ireland is not as awash with resources - including natural resources as other countries are .

(4) Traditionally, A lot of services / businesses/ manufacturing industry was not started up in Ireland in the past because there was not enough demand for same because of the small population -scale of economies again. That has changed now because of an improving skill force/ knowledge base and the onset of ICT sector

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about the protests. It is not an opportunity to go over ground that has been extensively discussed elsewhere, such as Coronavirus and vaccines, immigration, RTE etc. Yes these are the sort of topics that may be behind the protests, but we do not need to regurgitate stuff that has been and is still being discussed elsewhere in the forum/sub-forum

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Not liking what the majority has chosen for you is fine.

Suggesting that choice is illegitimate, a result of a malfunctioning system, is seditious and a bigger threat to democracy than idiots throwing piss at a politician. Saying things like that has consequences whether you're being serious or not.

Donald Trump is doing the same thing in the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They're not the only three parties in the world. And if you don't like any of the options on the menu you need to be getting into the kitchen and rustling up yourself. You may retort that you personally that you personally don't have time or capacity to get involved in establishing a new political party, but if a substantial body of opinion out there shared your political views somebody would be doing. So the system does function, it's self-correcting...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Doesn’t seem to be a very friendly or child safe message from the side who claim to care about children.

It’s like turning up to a female rights protest in the 70/80s as a man with a sign saying “give me a bj”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

99% of people who would vote for a right wing or left wing populist party still wouldn't harass a politician on the street or scream "you f***ing c**t" into their face, nor would they attend an anti-refugee protest.

These headbangers are arguably being given way too much attention. Yes, they are out on the streets and crawling all over social media with their hate, but is there any more than about 5000 of them in the country? It's hard not to laugh when they say they are the silent majority or produce a Rec C poll claiming that 75% of the public totally agree with them on refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't think it was meant to be taken literally, but then what message does throwing a bag of piss at a democratically elected individual send to a child?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody is being swapped out, we have full employment and a substantial labour shortage in many areas.

The crowd outside the Dail the other day would run a mile if you offered them a job.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Have you any evidence to back up the employment status of the people outside the dail? As much as i disagree with that crowd i find it funny that people like you who get enraged at the drop of a hat have no problem whole sale bashing another group whos views you disagree with.

Perhaps if they were rainbow colors or had a BLM placard you'd find there ridiculous views more tolerable?

Theirs a serious tone of hypocrisy on boards certain groups are fair game to be questioned and bashed but by god other groups like LGBTQ or BLM in general groups of that ilk for example are protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ahhh Culture Wars.

Does any remember when we used to all go to the pub and have the craic?

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,810 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The fact that many of the protesters thought it was a good idea to take bottles of piss to a protest says everything. It states their mentality, level of IQ and understanding of an issue. How they even found their way to the Dail seems to have been a major achievement for many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

People earn respect. Croft, Kelly, Heasman, Blighe et al have done nothing to earn people's respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

They should get serious time for that bunch of animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

What would you expect from idiots but idiot behaviour ! And people have every right to be angry at them.

But I don't see the same level of anger or demands for justice/accountability on here against a political system mired in scandal after scandal, there's an almost endless list of screw ups and uselessness of which the buck stops with the politicians we have elected. And all most of ye can do is ignore these issues and point the finger at a bunch of idiots instead.

Advertisement