Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Holohan’s already with a new woman? Didn’t hang around, did he..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Damien360

If they bring back the country music special, then they are just trying to retain the current older demographic and not looking to add viewers. I know country music has a huge following but it's very divisive. You either love it or loathe it.

Even the toy show is long past it's necessity. It is watched out of tradition only.

The guest choice is terrible. I know people only turn up to flog their crap on a bigger audience but please look beyond RTE canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭yagan

I don't have a problem with specials like that, country music is not my thing so I won't watch it but it's no different to the old furniture restoration specials.

But at least a country special actually connects with an active existing audience so there's some public service there, compared to vague williams and others.

I'd actually love if there was a pets special with a text poll and prize for dog with best character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Deliberately missed most of it, but tuned in twice for a few minutes each time and was not impressed. First time to see some rugby supporters getting drunk in Paris, so what, it would be different if the team won the world cup or something.

Second time saw his last guest, Holohan, what did he ever achieve? Anyone ask why all the mistakes made in the HSE, why it costs the taxpayer here so much more per head than the NHS does in the UK yet gives worse results, long waiting times, high charges, inaccurate results etc? There are a lot of very very highly paid managers in the HSE, serious questions need to be put to them instead of treating them like stars or celebrities on the Late Late.

Even simple questions need to be asked about the handling / management of the covid crisis was why were outdoor construction workers not allowed work during the first loonnnggg lockdown, when some outdoor workers were working in other countries? We could have done with those 5000 extra houses now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

People selling books on the Late usually pay to be on I think ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Caught the first 10 minutes or so last night - Vogue in a flouncy birdy outfit, celebrity Baz, a buddy. Same old stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

It will be interesting to see the audience figures for the second show. Not expecting a major drop as it's still early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's the primary feature of most chat shows since the dawn of telly - most guests are invariably selling something, that's true especially of the Norton variety of chat show.

The Late Late is probably unique in that it will often feature people just to tell their stories. That can too often be misery slots but it's a feature I hope isn't completely lost to ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The CervicalCheck scandal is probably the most misunderstood scandal in recent history. The actual scandal was not that the slides were read incorrectly but that after a review of the slides of patients that were known to have cervical cancer, there were some indicators that they could have cancer. It is also easier to find signs of anomalies on slides when you know that the patient had cancer.

The fact that they were not told about the review was the scandal, not that a screening check missed some indicators. Clinical outcomes remained unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Due to a mix-up in bookings, the country music special will double as the Eurovision selection competition... we couldn't do any worse :)

The pet special is an idea that could work. There could be social media promotion as well for funniest \cutest pet video alongside to drum up interest.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Damien360

My understanding was a bit different. Apologies for derailing.

The cost of screening in Ireland was horrendous with no valid reason why and run by a company based in Ireland. They claim different clinical standards compared to others. Belittling the training standard of different jurisdictions. That drove the needs to find another source for testing. That source was the US. Ireland at the time checked smears every 3 years, but the US was 2 years. So if they missed something in the US patient now, it would be caught in the next screen. But the US company tested the Irish smears on the same criteria, which unfortunately was too late for Irish patients based on our testing timeline.

Now the main issue after that as you say is how that information was handled. The slides were retested in Ireland and sure enough knowing what to look for, found it. The **** show of letting patients effected aware is the major failure.

The outcome is a different test with 5 year smears for those in their 30's onwards. That's the clinical change. But in terms of culture, the HSE has changed little as evidenced by all the court cases for so many different failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I saw a comment online that Baz said something controversial last night but of course they failed to elaborate - can someone fill me in on what that was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"Anyone ask why all the mistakes made in the HSE, why it costs the taxpayer here so much more per head than the NHS does in the UK yet gives worse results, long waiting times, high charges, inaccurate results etc? There are a lot of very very highly paid managers in the HSE, serious questions need to be put to them instead of treating them like stars or celebrities on the Late Late."

Why would you ask the former CMO about problems in the HSE?

That's a big word for Baz....

Speaking of, I was in my local branch of Banc na hÉireann the other day and saw this monstrosity in front of me:

which reminded me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭downtheroad

How are these measured? Somebody above said they flicked in twice, hardly a viewer. And RTE don't have technology surely that can tell if a TV has the late late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Are guests paid an appearance fee to be on the late late?

Do rte staff get paid to make appearances on the late late, or is it part of their contract to make several appearances a season to fill the gaps?

We have awful celebs in this country if Vogue is considered a celebrity.

It was odd, he made a point of looking at the set and the audience in a dickhead way and then in faux sad face he made a comment like "it was 14 years" in regards to tubridys tenure and then said something about it "feels different" but alluding to "not better"

Baz of course is part of NKM. We've seen quite a number of the NKM Mafia come out in defence of Tubs.

Baz is a very lucky man indeed to be rewarded as he is compared to any discernible talent or intellect; so much so he makes Tubridy look like exceptional value. That Noel Kelly has managed to command fees for Baz and Joe Duffy remain some of life's greatest mysteries. Mind you that can be said for 90% of his stable.

Because the CMO is the most senior government advisor on health-related matters. It is a government post as the lead medical expert in the Department of Health. If he does not have a take on the HSE, who the F+++ has?

What a kip of a country if everyone of them is highly paid but nobody takes any responsibility whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Saw that as well. I thought what a waste of bank money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vogue (and Joanne McNally) now has a series on E4, inexplicable I know :)

I think the bigger issue is how often she seems to appear on LLS.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Sure Houlihan was never going to admit he and his colleagues failed in some departments regarding COVID-19. He was asked at the end of the interview by P.K if he would have done anything different but dogged the answer by spouting a load of rubbish.

At the end of the day it was the hard working people of Ireland 🇮🇪 that got us through the pandemic. Not Houlihan and his cronies above in Leinster House.

No one mentioned lockdown. You said 'what a load of bullshit covid was'. I said not so much if someone close to you died. You're only mentioning lockdown now?

Well, guess who NK's other company (which may or may not have been used for invoices for a certain good egg and one time most trusted man in Ireland), have as a client? Banc na hÉireann!

And who better than to front a client campaign than one of the global superstars from NK's Talent Management Company...........

You're a little late to the party , there's previous posts

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Vogue is very beautiful and wittty in an Irish kind of way - I think we are very lucky to call her our own.

i honestly think Vogue and Joanne are hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

BAZ was there on merit - he is an Emmy award winner.

Ah fair enough. I'm not into arguing over nothing either!

I never knew that about Jeff Mutt Lange's music production. Everyday is a school day. I just heard the name and thought it sounded seriously country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I thought that read "Celebrity Hooker". That might have been worth a watch

Advertisement