Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hurt Locker: Ireland v South Africa. Saturday 23rd September. Stade DeFrance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Sheehan was miles off.

Slightly worried about the form of Doris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Hansen swearing again on ITV :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

Ireland. A team so good that if they catch their own throw-in inside the opposition 22, the ref should award them a try 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Funny thing is, we're still not guaranteed to qualify for the QF. If Scotland win their next two games with try bonus points, they'll go into the final fixture needing one more try bonus win to leapfrog us.

It's possible, even if I think it's unlikely. They were overwhelmed by South Africa's physicality in the opening fixture. If we can match tonight's intensity we should beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

tmo should be watching

The reffing has been poor in the competition

Too many south islanders

• Advertisement

I agree. I think we have more to learn from them. Especially with how they disrupted our lineout.

They don't have as much to improve on 8n general play. Just the penalties. They left 8 points behind them that should be scored. Still only leaves them 3 ahead. And we may have played for a try in our last attack if we needed to.

I think bottom line is there is nothing between the teams. We can beat them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

4 tries not a chance this was no way a try bonus point was happening tonight

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I just don't like O'Keefe's way of reffing, he lets a lot of cynical stuff go and tends to be soft on foul play, imo.

The TMO deserves criticism though. The pass for their try was well forward looking at replays now, and that hit on Hansen towards the end is a stone cold foul play penalty that should be getting flagged if the ref misses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I'm just happy to be witnessing the greatest moments in Irish rugby we've ever seen.

Looking back, the question asked will be, where were you when ireland won the World Cup!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is only one word to describe that game tonight...........Amazing!

To see a team like that to go up against & grind out a hard fought win over the WC is an incredible thing to witness on the field of play.

Ireland had showed incredible resilience even though they didn't play to their strengths throughout all of it. South Africa did show that they had a fiery intent to win this game. Their strength and power on the field of play was ferocious throughout the whole match. The kicking game from South Africa was not up to their own strengths though. It came with a lot of risk involved for it to influence the result of the whole match.

We do need to sort out the lineout against Scotland. They have some time in their 2 weeks off to try and do that. We do need to fix some things in the scrum as well. One of the scrums from SA in the 2nd half really did knock Ireland down as a team around the 3rd quarter of the match.

We had seen some instances of early engagement in the Irish scrum which did not give us any good signals that they were confident that they were going to get that victory.

However; on the plus side though; it was an incredibly entertaining encounter. It had a lot of intensity, a huge amount of energy, it felt that the Irish people made Paris their home tonight. And it paid off handsomely.

Well done Ireland. You did us proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think O'Keefe refereed like he normally does. Sometimes he just says nothing and gives away the penalty, when the player is looking for guidance. But its tough in the middle, but I do think Ireland got lucky with the call at the end as the ball was coming out. Another referee would have allowed SA to play away.

But in saying that, the lineout that was given to SA when Du Toit lost the ball forward into touch was baffling. The obstruction that was allowed for the try, the obstruction on Hansen were all missed. He missed big calls both ways I think. But none of those calls really mattered, the try there was a penalty advantage so could have lead to a yellow. The obstruction on Hansen was missed but eventually it lead to a penalty so it did not hurt.

I think O'Keefe is a good referee for SA though, we saw this in the 2nd test against the Lions. He allows a lot more go in the match and that suits SA. I think this Irish team did very well, it was a match they were not favoured to win but stood up to the physical challenge and won. With all the mistakes and even luck with calls, there is something to say for that. Enjoy the win, focus on Scotland in 2 weeks and then probably New Zealand again in the QF's.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

You obviously don't watch Ireland much.

Lost 3/4 lineouts in the 22, Redzone conversion rate for this team with clean ball is huge.

Leaving it there, ifs and buts can go on for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Fla is the best pundit going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

How'd that other foretelling you did this evening go?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Ewan MacKenna making a fool of himself on Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If we play them again, I think we'll kick our points when available. SA were canny/ lucky that the penalties they gave away were mostly out of range. I'm usually all about being aggressive, but SA are a team you want to keep the scoreboard pressure on more than any other

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Leaving the ref aside, luck played a part for both sides. SA arguably profited off two hops of a ball; the first lucky bounce from Faf's fairly aimless crossfield kick, the second was the penalty hitting the post. Both subsequent entries into our territory returned their only points of the game. We also spluttered early with the lineout. As others have said, on another day we rumble over for at least one early score ourselves. Also Doris has made about three mistakes in his life on a rugby field and they all happened this evening.

On the other hand, they likely win if they had a better place kicker, and we got some luck on the defensive side of the lineout ourselves when Fourie threw in crooked.

Very little separating the sides in any case.

Ox was immense when he came on. RG was a handful carrying. Willemse had a great game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's not just specific to 2nite, to be fair.

This kinda feels like when we beat Italy in the football World Cup in 1994. Like then we feel we're genuine contenders now. 1994 was an illusion, but didn't feel like it at the time.

Fingers crossed this is the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭StevenToast

A good win for Ireland but I wouldnt be getting too carried away.....

There will be some bandwagon rolling by the time we play NZ in the QF....

It will be like a home game and we will be huge favourites to get past a stage we have never done before.....

What a way for NZ to get revenge for last year and they have nothing to lose.....a very dangerous game....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

I've been burned so many times I can't help trying to manage my own expectations 🤷

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭downtheroad

He asked Twitter should he start a podcast, thankfully it was a resounding no.

Advertisement