Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hurt Locker: Ireland v South Africa. Saturday 23rd September. Stade DeFrance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Worse still we had to listen to Donal Lenihan consistently mix the players up and go on pointless diatribes about issues that didnt actually happen or exist, i'd get better co commentary from a lad down the pub, which essentially is the part that he is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It wasn't a mistake either. The ball was stripped on the ground from Doris. TMO was asleep at the wheel.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

You could go through all the WCs and reason them away.

Australia got a soft one when France flopped in 1999. New Zealand were gifted 2011 by the ref v France etc. They have 3/7 with their game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yes that can still happen. The most likely scenario would be:

• South Africa getting a BP win against Tonga, AND

• Scotland getting BP wins against Tonga & Romania, and beating Ireland, with Ireland not getting any BPs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A right kick in the balls that would be thus the importance of BP esp LBP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You'd be better off reading the contents of a sick child's nappy than that place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Yeah it's just luck really

I mean the depth is low worldwide

You have a country with 60million, it's probably the second spórt

They should be cruising this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

Thanks. Planning a get together with a bunch of old friends. Would like to settle on the q/f weekend if that's the knock out game. But the Scots could literally spoil the party. Arrange for the Scots weekend or be brave and hold out for the following weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Injuries? None it seems. Absolutely a miracle against these beasts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a qualified ref but I wouldn't be near the standard of these guys. I wouldn't be anywhere near as athletic as them either.

I know exactly what I am but obviously I can see mistakes and everybody makes mistakes but this guy made a lot of mistakes tonight and it wasn't favouring one side. I think I made that clear.

I pointed out two that he called against Ireland but that doesn't mean I'm saying it was one-sided and if you are suggesting that then you didn't read my post properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cagefactor

Assuming SA will get 5 points in their next game, that gives them 15 points.

Scotland would have to get 10 points from Romania and Tonga.

Ireland V Scotland then, Ireland only need a loosing bonus point to qualify top of the table. Scotland would have to hammer Ireland so that Scotland can get 5 points (4 + 1bonus) and ensure they win by more than 7 so Ireland don't get the 1 bonus point. But if they did hammer us, yes they'd qualify. I'd stake my house on that not happening, Scotland have shown nothing. They ain't going to score 4 try's against Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

I was surprised not to see the TMO involved. I can’t actually remember a single instance of it, aside from I assume checking the pass for their try (which looked ok to me).

No idea how SA got away with closing the gap at the lineout for the first half, but I think we adjusted well in the end. The hit on Hansen off the ball was a stonewall penalty and I have no idea how it wasn’t called. Not a great performance from O’Keefe, but I don’t think he impacted the result all things considered. Both teams left points behind.

Im just glad it’s over as it was an exhausting watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Shattered after watching that. Don't think we played anywhere close to our best but sometimes you have to put your hands up and say a large portion of that was due to not being let by a very good defensive side.

Two horrible bounces of the ball got them their entries to our 22 for their scores. Was shocked at state of the lineout at the start. Have to watch it again to see what was going wrong.

Sounds funny, but I wouldn't mind playing them again in the final. I just really think we have the beating of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭letowski

Some massive performances, Aki and POM probably the pick again, they’ve both had outstanding tournaments so far. Aki would be shortlisted for player of the tournament if that prize was decided tomorrow.

SA’s kicking will under scrutiny but apart from the conversion they were tough kicks. For me, I think we were slow to bring on Murray. His kicking game helped flip territory in our favour later in the second half.

The draw we have is brutal but the silver lining was always the bye we have next weekend. Hopefully the lads can rest up well in the next few days.. for what we hope will be a four week run of games. Can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Aki was immense again. Player of the tournament so far. He brings the physical part we just can't afford to lose AND he's way more technical/involved in team plays then a DeAllende/McCloskey profile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Beating such opposition in a World Cup quarter final would be an extraordinary achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

The most encouraging thing about that game tonight was we made a lot of mistakes, many unforced and that simply won't happen again. Our lineout was a mess and it won't be that bad again this tournament.

Saffers looked confused and out of ideas bar route 1.

Farrell has instilled into this team a way of finding a win and that is exactly what we did tonight.

Long may it continue.

Honestly not sure how good that saffer team is so we will have to be better. Not impressed with their backline and 10 is a huge problem for them. FAF had a poor game too but not surprised. How Libbock and FAF are starting is beyond me.

Eviserating Scotland vital now from a simply emotion management point of view.

Forget the world Cup history, this is a different kettle of fish. We are the number one side in the world and need to deliver now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

Agreed, another player who is absolutely vital for us is Beirne. He made a few mistakes today but he really hurt SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

It ended up forward, obviously. I had a harder to time deciding whether it left his hands forward. Maybe the refs among us can provide some insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭John arse

Oscar Pistorius is innocent btw- he was legless at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Special mention BTW for Henderson and Baird. Both came on and delivered more impact than the 'bomb squad'......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I’ve played the game long enough to understand the law on forward passes. I also understand the laws of physics

Passer was running sideways when he threw the pass, not forwards, so it wasn’t a case of forward momentum making it appear to be a forward pass.

We're getting luck in this WC. Injuries. The boks not nailing their kicks.

Hopefully, as Napoleon would say, Andy Farrell is a lucky general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

POM not the most effective carrier or tackler in the game but he is a very good rugby player and a great leader. Started calling the lineout to himself when it was a shambles early on and steadied us, and he stole one from Etzebeth in a straight jump off at 2. Giving up about 5 inches in height! I know some guys look at his stats and winder why he's picked but he is uncanny when it comes to making momentum shifting interventions.

What's is a little concerning is that Beirne, Ryan and Doris has looked a little off form so far both in the warm ups and the the opening games. Hopefully they can play themselves into better form because we need them firing on all cylinders if we're to go all the way. Porter, Sexton, Aki and Lowe were unreal tonight as were Bealham and Murray when they came on. It was funny but other than Snyman our subs added far more impact than theirs. I was so impressed with Bealham, he seems to be consistently delivering in high pressure situations of late. Great to see him lock down a dominant SA scrum tonight for the final 20 mins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Our lineout was a mess and it won't be that bad again this tournament.

I'm not sure tbh - it's already been that bad this tournament tho, or as good as. It's the one area we clearly need to find solutions in and fast.

It's testament to this team that they still found a way to win given how shaky it was, but I think it still remains the biggest concern going forward (by a distance, given how comparatively well everything else is going by comparison)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Advertisement

Across every team you have 2 or 3 players, like Aki and Beirne to us, who are vital for the team.

The team that has the luck in keeping these players fit is half way there. Already France are in trouble. Namibia did more damage to them than SA to us.

Advertisement