Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hurt Locker: Ireland v South Africa. Saturday 23rd September. Stade DeFrance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

I was surprised not to see the TMO involved. I can’t actually remember a single instance of it, aside from I assume checking the pass for their try (which looked ok to me).

No idea how SA got away with closing the gap at the lineout for the first half, but I think we adjusted well in the end. The hit on Hansen off the ball was a stonewall penalty and I have no idea how it wasn’t called. Not a great performance from O’Keefe, but I don’t think he impacted the result all things considered. Both teams left points behind.

Im just glad it’s over as it was an exhausting watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Shattered after watching that. Don't think we played anywhere close to our best but sometimes you have to put your hands up and say a large portion of that was due to not being let by a very good defensive side.

Two horrible bounces of the ball got them their entries to our 22 for their scores. Was shocked at state of the lineout at the start. Have to watch it again to see what was going wrong.

Sounds funny, but I wouldn't mind playing them again in the final. I just really think we have the beating of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭letowski

Some massive performances, Aki and POM probably the pick again, they’ve both had outstanding tournaments so far. Aki would be shortlisted for player of the tournament if that prize was decided tomorrow.

SA’s kicking will under scrutiny but apart from the conversion they were tough kicks. For me, I think we were slow to bring on Murray. His kicking game helped flip territory in our favour later in the second half.

The draw we have is brutal but the silver lining was always the bye we have next weekend. Hopefully the lads can rest up well in the next few days.. for what we hope will be a four week run of games. Can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭connachta

Aki was immense again. Player of the tournament so far. He brings the physical part we just can't afford to lose AND he's way more technical/involved in team plays then a DeAllende/McCloskey profile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Beating such opposition in a World Cup quarter final would be an extraordinary achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

The most encouraging thing about that game tonight was we made a lot of mistakes, many unforced and that simply won't happen again. Our lineout was a mess and it won't be that bad again this tournament.

Saffers looked confused and out of ideas bar route 1.

Farrell has instilled into this team a way of finding a win and that is exactly what we did tonight.

Long may it continue.

Honestly not sure how good that saffer team is so we will have to be better. Not impressed with their backline and 10 is a huge problem for them. FAF had a poor game too but not surprised. How Libbock and FAF are starting is beyond me.

Eviserating Scotland vital now from a simply emotion management point of view.

Forget the world Cup history, this is a different kettle of fish. We are the number one side in the world and need to deliver now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

Agreed, another player who is absolutely vital for us is Beirne. He made a few mistakes today but he really hurt SA.

It ended up forward, obviously. I had a harder to time deciding whether it left his hands forward. Maybe the refs among us can provide some insight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭John arse

Oscar Pistorius is innocent btw- he was legless at the time!

Special mention BTW for Henderson and Baird. Both came on and delivered more impact than the 'bomb squad'......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I’ve played the game long enough to understand the law on forward passes. I also understand the laws of physics

Passer was running sideways when he threw the pass, not forwards, so it wasn’t a case of forward momentum making it appear to be a forward pass.

We're getting luck in this WC. Injuries. The boks not nailing their kicks.

Hopefully, as Napoleon would say, Andy Farrell is a lucky general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭almostover

POM not the most effective carrier or tackler in the game but he is a very good rugby player and a great leader. Started calling the lineout to himself when it was a shambles early on and steadied us, and he stole one from Etzebeth in a straight jump off at 2. Giving up about 5 inches in height! I know some guys look at his stats and winder why he's picked but he is uncanny when it comes to making momentum shifting interventions.

What's is a little concerning is that Beirne, Ryan and Doris has looked a little off form so far both in the warm ups and the the opening games. Hopefully they can play themselves into better form because we need them firing on all cylinders if we're to go all the way. Porter, Sexton, Aki and Lowe were unreal tonight as were Bealham and Murray when they came on. It was funny but other than Snyman our subs added far more impact than theirs. I was so impressed with Bealham, he seems to be consistently delivering in high pressure situations of late. Great to see him lock down a dominant SA scrum tonight for the final 20 mins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Our lineout was a mess and it won't be that bad again this tournament.

I'm not sure tbh - it's already been that bad this tournament tho, or as good as. It's the one area we clearly need to find solutions in and fast.

It's testament to this team that they still found a way to win given how shaky it was, but I think it still remains the biggest concern going forward (by a distance, given how comparatively well everything else is going by comparison)

• Advertisement

Across every team you have 2 or 3 players, like Aki and Beirne to us, who are vital for the team.

The team that has the luck in keeping these players fit is half way there. Already France are in trouble. Namibia did more damage to them than SA to us.

Is there an argument for starting Bealham instead of Furlong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭This is it

Absolutely amazing. The atmosphere was electric, seemed like we outnumbered the SA fans 5-1. My first away match, never seen anything like it.

Will need to rewatch the match but I thought we were by far the superior team, it just didn't click at times. We did enough, and hopefully injury free, that's the main thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Advertisement

Don't disagree but personally don't pay massive attention to what happens in the minor games as never quite know what coaches are working on and what type of calls are being tested and used.

Tonight no doubt we were working on the lineout at 100% game mode and in fairness after the awful start we sorted it with lots of movement and shifting the point of jump.

Honestly can't see us being that bad again.

I think tonight was the best type of result, yes the win huge but also we made many mistakes so so much for the coaches and players to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭clsmooth

POM was excellent tonight and was crucial in steadying the lineout but he wasn’t the lineout caller so I don’t think he was calling the lineout on himself. The one he stole on Etzebeth probably should have been a SA scrum as he was the last one to touch it and it went forward. Regardless huge play and he is superb at making those momentum shifting moments. I wrote him off in 2021 after the red against Wales in the 6N. I am a self professed gobshite. Adds so much balance to the backrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dublin49

great performance ,thought we got a little lucky but FXXX it our bravery had us in the game where other teams wud be beat.Sexton absolute hero,all backs were great,pack immense,think this will stand to us.no other team will put us under such sustained pressure,France dont seem so fearsome compared to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

On form he should be the starting TH at the moment. He's been outstanding over the last season+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Glad you enjoyed it! I think if you rewatch you might reword the by far the superior team part haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Cracking game. If I was a SA supporter, I would be pointing fingers at Rassie and the coaching staff.

Hope we can recharge for a similar emotional commitment in 3 weeks time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,441 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Watched it again on +1

We were never losing that game.

Genuine question based on performance not reputation. Who is capable of beating us?

Sheehan, Bealham, Conan, Henshaw, Baird, McCarthy, Crowley, Kilcoyne/Loughman all need to start and show their point vs Scotland

All still have a chance to make at least the 23 for QF

And Sexton, Porter, POM, Beirne, Doris, Aki, Keenan, JGP should be preserved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

The line outs been a mess, each time people have said that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

It means Scotland at least cant throw caution to the wind for a 4 try BP... assuming they don't take an enormous junk out of their points difference against Tonga and Romania

Had we lost we'd be throwing out parallels to previous tournaments, you can always spin the omens to match past 1/4/pool failures.. talk of pool exit would have gone into overdrive had we lost tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Ireland have just beaten South Africa, for many the favourites for the world cup.

Yes Ireland did have alot of errors But Ireland still won and were good value for it.

They conceded only 8 points to a very powerful and skillful South Africa side.

Great win and augurs well for a potential quarter final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He is not as physical as Etzebeth or Mostert, so you lose some of that physicality but you gain with his carrying the ball and offloads. So what does the coach want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

2nd prize set of steak knives...

You get the picture...you laughing now?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

They showed a lack of skill today to be fair

Making so many changes destroys momentum

Shambles at n0 10 too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd think SA aren't lacked in physicality, they could use his ability to do something other than run into a wall. He was the only forward to make any sort of play happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

What a game; all heros 1-23. Thought Hendy really settled down lineout when he came on and he was immense around park. Porter brilliant, Sexton played like it was his last ever game. Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Agreed. I don’t get the comments calling South Africa one dimensional, I thought they had decent variation to their attack and cut us open at times. They managed to impose themselves physically and smashed us for long portions of the game, yet we still found a way to win. It’s hugely encouraging to see us get it done on the biggest occasion against one of the genuine top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,730 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Huge favorites to get past NZ if we meet them in QFs?

That's great but coaches often use less stressful games to work on new calls, new setups so it's largely pointless analysing what we saw in the cannon fodder games. Tonight I saw a mess at the start, great adjustment to cope much better as the game went on. Just can't see us being that poor again initially.

It's encouraging to be able to win v SA yet hand them a load of possession in lineouts...

• Advertisement

N-Z have different gamestyle, France would have been closer to what we had tonight, big pack, individual moments on the wings, top quality 9. We'll need to adjust to smth else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I wouldn't like to play them again,a couple of better kicks and a different result,I think it's likely we will face them again, could go either way.

Neymar wouldn't like those SA forwards?🤕🤕🤕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭farmerval

SA taking several long kicks, as well as missing them denied them the chance to really build pressure in our half.

Almost no try scoring chances missed by either side. So much of the play was compressed between our 22 and their 10 m line.

We got the bit of luck, Crowley's drop attempt getting the touch and that leading to a penalty in the scrum. SA seemed to run out of ideas as the game went on. It was like; replacements in, win scrums, then what do we do next?

What did Paul O'Connell say- we figure the game out???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Team of destiny

DO YOU BELIEVE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I agree, but whether the coach and DOR agrees is a different story. I do think if you start RG it changes the dynamic of the team a little, but that isn't a negative. What you lose in physicality you make up for his running ability and offloads.

The interesting question for SA is what about Pollard? If he comes in for Libbok you lose out on attack as Libbok is better as an attacker than Pollard. If you select him at 15 you lose Willemse's attacking ability, if you select him at 12 in place of De Allende you miss out on that directness of the 12. If you select DDA or Esterhuizen at 13 to accommodate Pollard at 12 you have to teach them to rush from the outside when they have been used to defending as a 12. Maybe you move them on defense to 12 and Pollard to 13, or Willemse to 13 and Pollard to 15, but that is moving a lot of parts to accommodate one player who will be undercooked in a pivotal game.

Then again if their forwards can play like they did against NZ in London it doesn't matter who is in the backline. But we are back to the problems they have in the forwards, not so much 1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 7 or 8, but 2. If Mbonambi is injured or replaced you have a pie thrower on 2 and that will not end well. But they have 4 scrumhalves so that will solve everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭letowski

I taught Henshaw also put in a good shift when he came on. Made some important tackles down the tram lines when Ireland were under pressure in the second half. With all the talk about forward replacements, he showed the value of having fresh legs to bring on in midfield when on D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lowe was superb today. He forced a breakdown turnover, stole a South Africa attacking ball on our own line and held Etzebeth up for a maul just 5 metres from the line.

Sometimes the winning of the game comes from a 'moment'. Lowe had three of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I know the game has just finished.

But it's Paris.

Someone hang the picture of Lowe carrying Etzebeth like a stations of the cros in the Louvre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement