Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hurt Locker: Ireland v South Africa. Saturday 23rd September. Stade DeFrance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭letowski

I taught Henshaw also put in a good shift when he came on. Made some important tackles down the tram lines when Ireland were under pressure in the second half. With all the talk about forward replacements, he showed the value of having fresh legs to bring on in midfield when on D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lowe was superb today. He forced a breakdown turnover, stole a South Africa attacking ball on our own line and held Etzebeth up for a maul just 5 metres from the line.

Sometimes the winning of the game comes from a 'moment'. Lowe had three of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I know the game has just finished.

But it's Paris.

Someone hang the picture of Lowe carrying Etzebeth like a stations of the cros in the Louvre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well as things stand they'll play France if they get out of the group which I think they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Back-3 balance is under-rated.

Lowe is power and kicks

Hansen is finisher and creativity

Keenan is composure and high balls.

Blessed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Longing

Working and came in late 65mins on the clock. RTE were a shambles I only realized this when I watched the highlights back on ITV. RTE had the final score wrong at the bottom of the screen for five mins after the game. Were they not watching.

Then

Cut off end game celebrations just realized how bad when I watched ITV+1. The atmosphere the crowd the singing, Hugging from both sets of players. The singing brought a tear to my eyes very emotional for a epic game. Shambolic display from RTE knowing the spotlight was on them from the major corruption within the organization. Ireland thank you, You brought happiness to each Houshold in the country tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ennuD05

@cmac2009 thats the song World Rugby picked i think. Same for each team in the competition should they be victorious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The coverage at the end on ITV really got the sense of atmosphere in the ground.

How RTE thought it was a good idea Not to show any of it, simply demonstrates how amateurish they are.

Night and day coverage in essence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Saying they left 11 points out there is not accurate...they scored eventually a try off the faff one that came off the post. The other faff miss came from Ireland not exiting from the drop out after the libbok miss ...

Off course I think going for the corner would have yielded points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

They left points out there on the reflection of the match. We realistcally should have lost and they were missing at least 4 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Well backwards, for me. Pass ends up 2.5-3.5m further up the field, while the passer is roughly 8m further up the field at the point his pass is caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

Great win in the end and no injuries is a huge bonus after that physical battle.

I know that they’ll have done the analysis on this but it feels wrong to kick possession back to your opponent twice in the last couple of minutes when they need that possession to try to manufacture a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I understand in trusting our defense, but we almost fucked it there. That last maul was pretty harrowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

No harm to put SA back in their box. Some of their fans were cocky all week disrespecting our number 1 status and not taking us seriously. They better start believing that Ireland are going to get to the final. We can beat NZ provided the players believe they can do it. This is a great Irish side and will take beating.

I think it's a great start, 3 games, no injuries. Beat SA not playing particularly well but by being totally committed.

We can only improve. About 6 players below scratch. You'll never have all 15 in top form but we can definitely get 2 or 3 more doing more. All good. 2 weeks to the Scots. Who realistically haven't troubled us since 2001 (bar 2010 messing up a triple crown and the bus incident in 2017).

I was thinking what are the doing, are they trying to lose the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The major outcome of this game is that we have either put south Africa or France out of the tournament, not a bad days work.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

South Africa are over coached

That traffic light system coming from the coaching bench is an insult to the team, especially the team captain and leaders.

If the bokke want to win this competition, which they actually can, they need to rid themselves of that dictator who pretends to be a DOR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

A great victory tonight, bit it will be worth nothing unless the players can stay focused for the Scotland game and then getting this quarter final monkey off their backs, if they don’t advance past the quarter finals at a minimum, then this World Cup is a failure for Ireland like all the previous ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I can't see Andy Farrell letting the slip.It's going to be one game at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Without catching up on the last 24 pages of unread posts in this thread...

Well done Ireland.

If I wasnt a supporter of either team, that game wouldve been brilliant, exactly what you wouldve wanted from these 2 teams.

As a SA fan, if that was the final I might have smashed the tv in frustration at the piss poor kicking. We couldve won that, or even a draw at the minimum, so in my mind we lost the game, more than Ireland won the game, if that makes sense.

SA vs France

Ireland vs NZ

SA vs Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Scythica

Was at the game. So frisking physical it felt. And no cards!

Think we definitely got lucky in a few calls but the best teams always seem to be 'lucky'. Hendo and Baird had great impact when coming on I felt.

Atmosphere was great but must admit France Namibia Atmosphere was another level entirely, was a party entire time.

Sore bodies and heads today I'm sure. Allez les verts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Incredibly intense game. Reminded me of the time we beat NZ in the Aviva when both teams went at it.

Thought we were lucky in the end. Pollard wouldn't have missed those but in a way his strength has made SA too reliant on goal kicks to win. They really try to put the squeeze on you.

At 30 mins or so I had hope as we had taken a battering and the lineout and scrum was in real trouble but we were just 3 - 0 down.

Credit to Ire and POM as they went to shorter lineouts and made the big Saffers move up and down the lineout and not have an easy target for a jump. The kind of onfield problem solving that Farrell has mentioned.

A lot of decisions went against us in the first half and thankfully as things happen more of the decisions went our way in the 2nd half.

The good thing is we didn't play our best but still beat the world champions, who could well knock France out now if Pollard is back and Ntamack + Dupont are out. Interesting that a couple of the Irish players mentioned in post match interviews that we could be meeting again.

Glad we have the 2 week break. Scotland won't be easy but hopefully the team will build and improve from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I really don’t think he made a lot of mistakes. Reading online away from Irish or SA forums or websites he barely gets a negative mention. That was the biggest match to date and no one is talking about the ref having a howler. I fully expect him to get one of the ¼ finals based on last nights display. The only ref so far who definitely won’t be going deeper into the tournament imo is carley.

But leaving that aside, you should just enjoy a magnificent win for Ireland rather than a ref whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

If it was me I wouldn’t be doing too much mocking until they’re out. Brilliant performance but I think a lot of Irish fans could be reminded there’s nothing won yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

Bomb Squads, Finishers, all these populist cliche tactics end in tears eventually. A win is a win, its a whole team of 23, 80 minute effort.

On a lighter note, Bundee in his post match interview, said "Ah, shure look....' Straight out of The Sunday Game! Even these lads in Nante last week thought they were in Croker!

But we didn't. If my aunt had balls she be my uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Advertisement