Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hurt Locker: Ireland v South Africa. Saturday 23rd September. Stade DeFrance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The term ‘Mentality Monsters’ was coined by Jurgen Klopp about his great Liverpool side that swept all before them a few years ago…

I think it’s a term we can now apply to this Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackcard

I don't know about that. If SA had to maul their way over the line at the end, there would be lots of questions asked about why we kicked the ball away with 2 minutes to go and why we gave away a penalty to give them field position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

Yeah I’m not sure how well trying to play keep ball would have worked out for those 2 minutes in our own half with the speed at which SA attach the ball leaving rucks…. Get the ball as far away as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If we win the world cup maybe. But for now I think all I can agree with is for an Irish side, this group definitely seem to be the most mentally strong I've seen in my lifetime.

They are winning games we always lost in the past. But there's such a long way to go. If they lose in the QF then they'll have done nothing different to any other Irish team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Great win, tough as expected but we're the best team in the world and it's going to be extremely hard to beat us. South Africa threw everything at us. I don't think we'll face anything like that from Scotland, New Zealand or in the semi final. It's looking really good, especially with the rest we get now. Just to remind everyone, the final is on the bank holiday weekend so we have the Monday off but maybe book Tuesday off as well. 😀

Kicking the ball away definitely didn't work out well. We should definitely have gone through a few phases to use up some of that 2 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

SA of course paid the price for not having a decent place kicker. Nevertheless, if Pollard is picked their backline won't operate nearly as effectively. It's not simply a matter of presuming that if he had played last night they would have won, it would have been a different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 startupfood

I was frustrated too but in actuality, reckon decisions like that are all based around stats/probability, they're not made in game. They'd have worked out that kicking ball anyway in that part of the pitch, at the time, gives us the best chance of holding out.

Fair enough. Giving away the penalty was frustrating. You couldn't see SA scoring a try from halfway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I had a crisis at the 50th minute when the SA pack changed and immediately mangled our scrum. The fact that we managed to get that under control is why we won that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

We need to give some players a break against Scotland, leave them on the bench available to come on if needed. I could see a situation where we get physically battered in a win at all costs match for Scotland, a NZ team out to prove a point, then fall to England or some other second rate team coming in fresh off the other side of the draw.

It's possibly the most lopsided tournament I've seen in any international sport. They really need to sort out their seeding next time. Having the top 5 teams in the world on one side of the draw in a sport where really only 8 compete at the top table is an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

I disagree, SA are lethal at the breakdown and if we hung onto the ball they would have been hunting for a turnover penalty which would have given them field position for a maul try. Also, the refs are very picky on sealing off penalties when a team is just trying to hang onto the ball through multiple phases at the end of a game. We pinned them back with those long kicks and looked comfortable enough defending their attempts to make it down field. Only for that Dan Sheehan penalty SA were struggling to enter our half of the pitch with ball in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tbm

Two of the SA missed kicks were from 50m+. On any day that’s a gamble. And without your first choice kicker it’s a serious gamble. Why didn’t they go to the corner? They didn’t fancy it because Ireland were defending well.

Right; because beating France (at home) or NZ, in a world cup, are gimmies

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What happens if Kolisi doesn't agree with Rassie on something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Indeed. South Africa have lost at this stage and gone on to win the competition. People saying South Africa threw it away with the missed kicks, well if Ireland's line out was not misfiring they could well have scored more points too. The highlight of the game for me was Etzebeth being lifted into the air! It underlined the immense defensive effort Ireland put into the game. If Ireland do meet New Zealand in a quarter Final, based on that performance, they should beat them.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

Surprised the SA try stood, flung the pass while static outside the five meter line and was caught about 2 meters from try line very obvious with pitch markings.

Fafs deliberate knock on and Etzebeths multiple fouls could have been cards on another day too

I think it makes all of the groups competitive and interesting all the way through. It's much less entertaining when there's a clear best, second best, third best in each group.

It's crap luck for the teams who will go out earlier than their talent merits, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Watching the game back again and I noticed at the time that for all Libbock's kicks where he was left of the post he had the ball aiming wide left as well.

Bold tactic when he hooked all 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Really like the 23. They will throw everything at us in the first 20-25. Bit like the game in November. They’ll try and go through us and grind us down. If we can withstand that, Ireland to win by 5 with Crowley to come on and nail the kick to win it with the game hanging in the balance.

From the preview thread earlier in the week. I wasn’t too far off 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

They need to get rid of the person who coached them to a win a world cup four years ago? Im not sure thats makes much sense.

Who got MOTM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Bundi

Should have been the stadium guy who played Zombie at the final whistle….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

All the talk about the bomb squad all week suited as they showed they we’re going to play one dimensional and Andy picked his bench super with more impact on the game, Jonny, POM, Furlong, etc gave their all and the timing of subs was bang on to make an impact. Personally I think we have a super management and coaching team and the team are super fit and so mentally tuned in and confidence and togetherness seems so high when you here players talk it’s all about the team and the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Given the build up, World no 1 v World Champions and the physicality of the match I was expecting a card or two and a few incidents.

There was no card or no incident worth mentioning in a really brutal punishing match.

Just a manly yet really disciplined encounter, great advertisement for rugby.

Seemed to be a genuine warmth and respect between players at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The SA players are mainly great competitors, athletes and sporting men. They are good winners and good losers.

The same can't be said for a vocal section of their fan base (much like Ireland/England/NZ etc). Their DOR is also thoroughly unlikeable. I hope he doesn't emerge as the Nucifora replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭This is it

Is there anywhere to rewatch the match? Forgot to record it 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

RTE player will have it online

Advertisement