Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hurt Locker: Ireland v South Africa. Saturday 23rd September. Stade DeFrance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭This is it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

Dirty F****r. He has to be cited. I can't post the video but it's an obvious deliberate stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

That's not how it works.

Do we really need to wheel out the You Tube video.

Relative Velocity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Good win. Got very lucky with the maul decision at the end. Doesn't really change a whole lot though. We'll still need to put in probably our best ever performance to knock over NZ in the quarters. I just hope we didn't empty the tank to win a pool game, and we can get to that intensity again in 3 weeks. It will mean nothing if we go out in the quarters again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I don’t see how the maul decision was lucky, it was a pretty clear turnover to us when it went to ground. It was a textbook example of how to do it through clever play and hard work and we earned the reward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Not much in it for me, and VDF was illegally holding him while on the ground so kind of asked for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I did enjoy the game. I'm only pointing out stuff in a matter of fact manner.

How do you come to the conclusion that I didn't enjoy the game?

Anyway you should have a look at the game again just to identify the penalties, and some knock ons he called.

Most of them didn't affect the result. One that could have was right near the end where he called a lineout to South Africa when there was no contact of any sort from an Irish player. That lineout led to a penalty and eventually South Africa ended up around the Irish five metre line with another lineout and we stopped the maul.

So the above wasn't a call which gave anybody a score or opportunity to score and it was a later infringement which allowed South Africa deep in the Irish 22 but that infringement likely never happened if he didn't make the bad call.

That's the one I remember best. There were a couple of offside calls which went to both teams which were at best minimal and I don't think they were offsides but I haven't, and won't be, reviewing footage.

My thoughts on his performance is that he's too quick to whistle and doesn't allow his mind time to catch up. To be fair there is consistency, nobody is likely getting a benefit although it could happen.

I'm not going to worry about it though. There's referees in every sport that make a lot of mistakes. The only one that irks me is Wayne Barnes because he's not consistent in his calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

It was unlucky in the sense that O'Keeffe was asking where the ball was, and he actually walked behind the man holding the ball, but was unsighted. By the time he blew the whistle, the ball was already well out. Any team would feel a bit aggrieved at that.

Regardless, Ireland were more deserving, and it's good to see SA given a reality check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

He pulls out a torch from his short pocket with a different colour and shines it up into the stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If the shoe was on the other boot we'd have been pretty annoyed. Although someone elsewhere (either on X or here) pointed out that one of the Boks was off his feet and digging the ball out, I'd need to watch it again to see if this was the case, but maybe justice was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clearly you can’t read, or maybe take it up with Shaun Edwards for spreading sensationalist gibberish.

Big tournaments always bring up the dregs in here. Watching your posting in the last few days, confirms that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Who did they beat 4 years ago to win? The lost against NZ in the pool, won against Japan in the QF, Wales in the SF and England in the final, that is how they won the World Cup. Much like 2007 where they beat England in the pool, Fiji in the QF, Argentina in the SF and England again in the final. That would be England that lost by 30 against Ireland in the Six Nations earlier in the year and by 36-0 against South Africa in the pool stage. Sometimes winning the World Cup does not tell you much about who the best team is.

I will say again, Nienaber's winning percentage is 67%, Rassie Erasmus was at 66%. I don't care about world rankings and all that, they kept their points high due to the rankings giving double points in the World Cup and they started from 7th at the previous edition so they won a ton of points, but they have not been the best team during the past 4 years and are not at the moment. That is not to say they cannot win this World Cup, but I don't think it is outlandish to call for the resignation of the DOR with that context. Especially when there has not been much growth in the SA game the past 4 years, what you had then you still have now, but it is essentially the same team but 4 years experience added. You would have thought they would be better, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yup the Bok player was on his knees playing the ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Here’s a question for ya, TRC.

Do you think it’s fair to say it’ll need to be NZ’s best performance of the last 18 months to beat us?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Not that long ago that a ref would literally give a scrumhalf licence to give someone who had hands on a ball on the wrong side a stamp on said hands....it was kind of accepted back then that being on the wrong side, not getting out of the way etc meant you could be stamped on, within reason. Never on the head or overly dangerously, but it was the punishment for doing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's a fair chance that somebody from.pools c or d wins this world cup.

Ireland just had a brutally tough game. They have another tough one against Scotland. Then they likely face New Zealand and the winner of that faces France or South Africa. It's entirely possible whoever makes the final from pools a and b has significant injuries and a lot of fatigue.

I thought they were checking the blocking that the SA backs were doing and not the pass. The pass was fine, not sure why anyone would query it. The blocking in the midfield ahead of the ball was more of an issue for me. Kriel took out Hansen and he could have got to Libbok who makes the pass. Seeing it again I have no idea why it was not brought back to be honest. Here is the highlights from ITV and it is around the 4:00 mark, quite clear obstruction.

Eh, he knows the difference between grass and a hand. He'll be cited for that or should be, there is a case to answer and he should at least have to do that.

I agree, if it was intentional he would apologise but the way he looked hoping it would not be spotted makes it foul play.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Knew exactly what he was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think Ireland will face France or SA until the final surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Libbok's kicking wasn't that bad. His conversion and penalty had good technique but just slightly inaccurate. His kicking out of hand was good especially for the last penalty/mail.

That maul was disrupted well and it looked as if Aki's late push forced it over. Well timed.

I do fear NZ now. They will have a lot of time to review the loss against SA and it will be novel for them to be underdogs in a WC. Less pressure.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'm gonna have to get a Bundi Burger today...

Also, some welsh chap on youtube called Hanson, Mack-Bok Eire.... genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Never be allowed to carry it, half moon or full moon only reply available I reckon, might need to be a late game after the watershed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭tommythecat

We'd most likely play either Wales or Australia in the Semi final. Can't meet France or South Africa again until the final.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I posted a number of stills from the incident last night that - couldn’t post a video as it was too big for boards.

It’s very subtle (deliberately so, designed to make it look like an accident) insofar as it’s not a stamp, but he knew what he was doing. To compound it there’s a body twist with it - which looks deliberate too. It’s the length of time he does it for too….if you feel a hand underneath your foot and it’s not malicious in your part you’ll move it immediately, it’s almost a reflex action to do so. That’s an international prop standing on an open hand wearing studs. The players saw it - Aki was screaming at the ref about it to the point where Hugh Cahill said he’d want to be careful. VDF also complained to the ref about it.

it was no accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Question: When Lowe etc lifted Etzebeth up in that tackle, when would it have been illegal? The ref gave an instruction but I can't remember what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Not if we play like we always have in quarter finals.

Yesterday was a good win, but it was a pool match. We've had big pool stage wins before and gone nowhere. We haven't achieved anything yet.

• Advertisement

Lowe lifted him off the ground, as soon as he was back touching the ground in some way the ref didn't care, it was only when Lowe first lifted him.

I feel sorry for those who are blinded by their dislike of Lowe. That was a Ferris on Genia moment and there are many who will never get to enjoy it because they can't get over themselves. He had an impactful game aside, we have the best back three we've ever had.

Advertisement