Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I can handle scratches and marks on bezels but not on crystals, they're all I can see any time I go to look at the time. Bit OCD about it!

Has yours a sapphire crystal on an acrylic one? If it's acrylic sure you might as well try a bit of Polywatch. Cheap enough and works amazingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Quick swim this morn with the fintans and fionnulas out in the forty foot

Beautiful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Got Happy Gilmore moment today.

Holy fúck, a diver watch actually getting wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

My first Seiko 7T92-0EV0 Titanium

Plenty battle scars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Got this many moons ago before I knew what it actually was a homage to. It's a bit of a monster on the wrist at 50mm but it's fine. It was inexpensive, keeps decent time and it's a nice break from the normal stuff. Oh and it's surprisingly comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hard to tell from the close up angle, but that doesn't look that big on your wrist for a 50mm piece

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

Freshly Charged lume for the evening dog walk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭griffin100

My ‘swim’ watch :)

This photo was taken 3 weeks ago and shows the time taken to swim the 11 miles of Lake Windermere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yeah, impressive swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Treated myself to a Casioak. Really happy with how this fits on me and think it looks very good! Was only €85 delivered off Amazon too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭micks_address

was over there in June... lovely part of UK... didnt do anything that athletic! Some incredible views from various points.. Surprise view was a standout:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's a nice spot, I've been twice for swims and only stayed a couple of days each time but I would like to explore it more. I do prefer Cornwall though. You see very few Irish in either spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's a lot of watch for €85, absolutely lovely!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Very nice

I picked up one with the blue hands/markers a few weeks back.

Enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm thinking about a Casioak myself but a lot of them have a negative LCD. How do you find these? I have had a different G-Shock with a negative LCD and found it very difficult to read. I know there are some Casioak's with a regular display but the most popular seem to feature the negative display.

I haven't noticed any issues with it. I didn't really buy the watch for its functions or different modes on the LCD though so cant say i look at the LCD an awful lot. I mainly just look at the analogue time.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Honestly, it's difficult to read unless it's in very good lighting or bright sunshine.

But as above I just use the analogue hands and if you want to see the LCD a blast of the light does the trick.

Not great to read the date by glancing, but if you need it it's fine. Nicest of the g-shocks as it's not as chunky as some.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wearing my as waterproof as a sieve family hairyloom '30's pilots watch on a day when Rolex DeapSea owners were thinking twice. Not my cleverest move... 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

What made it extra specialer Wibbs?

Other than its obvious awesomeness...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No idea tbh H. it was a thing with Zenith and these models of 30's pilot's watches and there seems to be no real rhyme or reason to it. They produced them in a few dial variations. The rarest examples came with no seconds, sub seconds were the most common by far(and the standard for this design from all brands who made them). These were enamel dials. The (indirect) centre seconds were produced in very small numbers with painted metal dials and a slightly different base movement. All three variations could come with "Special" or "Extra Special", or nothing. The centre seconds were the most likely to have "Extra Special", I presume because of the added "complication"? But not always. 🤷‍♂️ The "1A" below "Zenith" I've only ever seen on the centre seconds examples, but again not always.

This particular watch design for pilots was incredibly popular mostly in mainland Europe in the 1930's(Helvetia were still selling them in the late 40's) and it's almost easier to name brands who didn't produce one. Kinda like dive watches today. Though it was an actual tool watch and not at all in the mainstream of watch fashion. Huge and round at 43mm, when everyday/dress watches were very small tank styles.

Unlike the dive watches of today made by everyone, there's pretty much zero history of the evolution of the design, who came up with it, who was first etc. These were very sought after in the vintage collector game in the 90's and early 00's and people tried to find out and speculation was rife, but in the end details were pretty much non existent, beyond they first seem to show up from different brands in the late 1920's. These days they rarely come up in the vintage world's conversations and the vintage market is pretty much dead anyway outside of very narrow interests(and even there), so any research has died off. They used to go for between 4-6k, now more like 2k, if they can find a buyer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

On the train to Cork and enjoying a little Blancpain distraction from what's to come for the rest of the day.

My brother's inquest is today. Other than the "official" cause of death and thus being able to register his death, I am hopeful of obtaining an advisory verdict regarding the circumstances and delay of the ambulance response. Not to lay blame at the emergency services feet, but rather to ensure that any shortfall in resourcing and processes is highlighted.

If we get the advisory verdict? I look forward to wrecking the head of current and future Ministers of Health. There's nothing more I can do for Colin, but? I hope that by highlighting the shortcomings he faced, that we can prevent another family facing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cassius99

Best of luck in your endeavour Banie. The resourcing issue is nothing short of scandalous, I'm sure there are many families going through the pain of losses in similar circumstances. Fair play to you for making a stand.

So... the inquest.

I have spent the last couple of months pulling together information and asking questions.

Foremost of which was?

How can it be possible that a young man can lay critically ill for over 135 minutes before an ambulance arrives to help.

Well today was the day, the Coroner to his credit did his utmost to ensure every question was addressed.

Today wasn't easy for any of us. For me, it was the last thing I can ever do for Colin, so I wanted to be sure I did my best.

Our aim was to gain an advisory verdict. One that would highlight the critically squeezed resources available to our Blue light services.

Unfortunately, the very specific circumstances(and in fairness correct) that the coroner can consider, prevented us from obtaining that verdict.

For that verdict to be available, the Doctor treating Colin would have had to agree that the delay in an Ambulance reaching Colin and the delay in him reaching hospital contributed to his death.

The Doctor however, believed that Colin's initial stroke was so severe that he may well not have survived no matter how quickly aid reached him.(70-80% mortality) Ergo the delayed response cannot be considered as contributing to Colin's death and can't be addressed in an advisory verdict.

On foot of all this? Colin's death certificate will record that he died of "Natural causes" from an intracerebral hemorrhage secondary to Hypertension and Chronic Kidney disease. There's fúck all natural about that at 34yrs of age.

As a good friend of mine often said, your health is your wealth! Mind yourselves, look after your health and look after each other.

I'm going to spend a little time grieving my brother now. It was on hold whilst I was trying to do whatever this turned out to be.

Then in the New year I'll be tying in with some other folk on a plan to address Ambulance Service resources. Plan is to assess global best practice and compare/contrast that with current Irish Practice. From talking to the NAS rep today. The service is creaking and if nothing else? If we can generate good data and get input from the frontline crews? We can at least highlight what we can do better with our own Ambulance response and resourcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Enjoying wearing my "Dolphin Bell" Bell-Matic during my week home

• Advertisement

Met a very friendly doggie up in Tyrone earlier today. 😊

Advertisement