Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, there's always that of course, but assuming in the worst case scenario that he does get re-elected., what then? The US Election will be held in NOV 2024, so minimum 14 mths away, then add in another 2 or possibly 3 mths best case scenario, so 17 mths away. But as I under stand it ( and that's no guarantee that I have it right) but what the present US Government decides, holds? I'm thinking about Trump organizing the pull out of US Troops from Afghanistan, 2 years before it actually happened, and with Trump no longer in power. So, could Biden have changed the plan laid down by Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Biden could only do so much to keep things locked in, Obama did the same, Trump did the same with the pull out yeah and the US Taliban Treaty, Obama/Congress did it with Russian sanctions, it completely neutered his naked effort to appoint Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson to Secretary of State to grease the wheels of a Russia-Exxon deal worth at least $500 Bn. It won't stop Trump from calling Russia and giving away intel though, or taking executive actions to stand down any movement of materiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I can't imagine any President is beholden to the previous administration. I think it's more gentleman's agreements. Like choosing a supreme court judge at the end of your term, you let the incoming president choose etc...

However, those agreements go out the window with Trump, he'd burn the house down just out of spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭amandstu

Not how I remember it.

I recall it being suggested that Russia would be well advised against a full invasion as it was a big country and well up for resisting .

The question seemed to be whether they would create a land corridor to Crimea plus take the Dombass and other regions near the border or whether they would go for Kiev.

As far as I remember it was not seriously thought that they would try to take the whole country but (if they took Kiev) they would seek to leave a Western rump .

When they went for the jugular it was a very unwelcome surprise but as you say expected to be very quickly accomplished and a puppet regime installed in Kiev but with resistance around the country and a heartland in the West.

I think the West/Nato expected a quick capitulation in Kiev (hence the offer of the chopper) but that this move by Moscow would turn out to be a dreadful strategic mistake as the whole country would be impossible to take.

When Moscow pounced there were questions as to Putin's mental health. Not a rational play.

(He seems to be bad not mad now)

Trump don't play by anyone's rules but his own-and even those he will break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

"A geriatric with one foot in the grave"

He's the same age as my partners mother, and if someone used that kind of language to describe her they would recieve a well deserved punch to the face.😡

There are people of that age who read this site, and I know of at least one regular poster who is also around that age, get a Fuc*ing grip.

Post edited by Seanmadradubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ginger22

The think is that a slow grind down of Russia is far better long term than a quick victory. If Russia were defeated in a few weeks they would quickly bounce back much stronger. Hopefully this is the end for them for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Biden is definitely a bad candidate from the perspective of looking and sounding old as fucckk, but has he and is administration done a bad job ? Seems like they have turned the economy around, managed to get some deals done with an insane Republican Party in order to stop the shutdown(s) and have helped Ukraine/reaffirmed their membership of NATO… though I would fear he has a game changing senior moment during the election

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

The free/ democratic world has no option but to defeat Russia to the point where it can never threaten , in any shape or form , any other country again - be it causing economic, physical structure , communications, etc, etc, etc damage again. So all the free /democratic world has ‘skin in the game’ - either directly or indirectly. For example, Ireland’s economy depends a lot on the health of the worlds other economies and also on how stable those economies are. And by way of another example- is there a connection we tween the worlds refugees/asylum seekers and Any interfeerance Russia may be causing in those countries where they come from

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Biden has created the instability because he hasn't groomed a successor. If anything incapacitates Biden Kamala will lose to Trump.

• Advertisement

This comment shows how screwed up the American political system really is, "grooming a successor" language is usually better suited to regimes like Putins or Kims, but in the US, it kinda fits.

That statement is like “ on the one hand and then on the other hand”. It’s the kind of statement that one would expect from AI. Thanks be to GOD. That it is only an OPINION

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

I'm a bit sick about hearing all that ageist nonsense about Biden. About time this thread turned its attantion to what is happening in Russia. This is full-on Nazism-HitlerYouth stuff:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Kamala was a race card Biden was a VP and as a presidential canidate he should have known better.

Probably didn't expect DT again but hoping for a dark horse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Trump is a moot point FFS.

Whoever the next President there is, it will be mid 2025 before they have an impact at the earliest on the situation.

The Red Army will be dug in like a tick at next year, the Ukrainian forces will probably have a much harder time advancing in 24, never mind 25.

It's why they should have been given every God damned thing they needed from day one.

It won't matter either way who is in the White House in 25. The facts on the ground will be established by then, one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There shouldn't be an obvious successor but given Biden's age, you would expect the VP to be able to fight & win an election. The Democrats have left themselves very vulnerable. By choosing Hilary they gave Trump a big opportunity. Now it's the same with Kamala & the strange thing is how she has faded, or been pushed, into the distance. Ukraine need to pray that Biden stays healthy.

I wonder what the millions and millions of Ukrainian soldiers who served, fought, and died in The Red Army would think of you constantly referring to the Russian Army as the "Red Army" think.

The Red Army was a very powerfull military force, the Russian army is nothing compared to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

In all your posts Danzy you refer to them as the Red army. Why?

They're the Russian army not the Red army.

The Red army died with the USSR. Plus there's nothing communist about current Russia. It's controlled by mafioso led by Putin who are the furthest thing from communist.

The last remaining country in the USSR was Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan deserves the title of Red more than Russia does.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that the constant senility comments about Biden kicked off as part of Trump's propaganda efforts, and as a result Trump's supporters believe that Biden is completely senile. To me, Biden seems to be pretty much on the ball.

IMO , and we are all experts in hindsight- it would have been a major mistake if the Three Day War was over within the first few weeks and Russia went home with it’s tail between it’s legs. WHY. Because the Ru army would have more than likely remain substantially intact. It would therefor attack again when the opportunity arrives - having also learned how to better prepare.

we know have a much , much better idea as to how strong the Russian army is re capabilities, equipment , etc. and what needs to be done so it will not even think of interfering with any democracy/ free world again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

The man has had a stammer his entire professional career but now it's suddenly a sign of being senile.

Just need to look at Mitch McConnell to see what a true degredation in metal faculties looks like.

Interesting that (I think it was) one of Ukraine's top military men now saying that winter should not have too much bearing on the Ukrainian operations as they have been relying more on small (15 men?) groups than motorized units/tanks to advance through Russian lines.

So no winter break for the Russians.

Also thought I would mention for the long term how important it is for Europe to have no need for Russia's petroleum fix this ,or any winter from now on.

Its debatable I guess, and it also applies had Putin known then what he knows now, its very doubtful he would have invaded in the first place. And again, if his army had been soundly defeated and sent home, with its tail between its legs in short order, it might have triggered Putin's over throw. ( There's historical context for this, after the Japanese defeated Russia, but those were different times) But if it worked out as you say, then not only Ukraine but the West, US, Uk etc. would be far better prepared and on full alert, but most important Russia's true military capabilities would be known. Ukraine was Putin's last throw of the dice. He will not be getting another one.

Nice to see movement in Robotyne-Verbove area.

Recent gains. (from NoelReports map. https://noelreports.com/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

As an aside from the brutal report of the returned convicted killers and rapists, and their continued criminal activties on their return to normal society, just have a look at the pics showing places where they live, and the type of accommodation they live in. Throughout the republics, its pretty much the same. Extremely basic and far removed from the glitz and glamour of Moscow and St Petersburg. And the majority of Russians live in conditions just like these, to a greater or lesser degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

I suspect that the real reason western support for Ukraine is in dribs and drabs is they are wary of smashing Russia apart and what the end result will be.

Perhaps they want the slow boil and hope that regime change will come from internally in Russia, rather than chaos opening the door to even more nuts people grabbing power.

When Prigozhyn was bawling that the reasons for the war (feels like an awful long time ago) were illegitimate, briefly I thought that may be the start of a turn, depose Putin, blame him and withdraw, but it wasn't to be.

Some of the Youtube people I follow, Military Lab I think, had a good piece on the progress of the counter offensive, basically he was saying in the length of the frontline, breaking through is useless, the only way to win is to bleed out your opponent. If Ukraine breakthrough straight to the Azov sea, they have a tactical advantage but a longer frontline to defend, a bigger salient for Russia to try and flank. His argument was that the constant degradation of the Russian ability to fight through attacking logistics, absorbing counter attacks et. is the way to win.

One other note, in recent days reporting is suggesting that the Russians supply of equipment is obviously diminishing, in Verbove they only had long range artillery to counter the Ukrainian advance, hence Ukraine could use Bradley's etc more freely in their attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We've touched on some of your experiences in Russia a few times on here ,Ive never been but I've watched hundreds of documentaries on Russia and like you said outside of the main cities it gets bleak,and the further into the deep interior of the country the worse it gets ,some area in still living in the early 1900s definitely pre WW2 , killings and domestic violence is all to common especially alcohol related

• Advertisement

Yes, and then add in that some ( if not all ) republics still have very clannish systems in place, Chechnya being the most obvious one. But they all have one thing in common, and that's the level of control the Kremlin has on them. Something that's kind of inbred at this stage, which goes some way to explain why Putin can kill and abuse thousands of them, and still remain in power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement