Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Aye hes no spring chicken! He came into it too late and he has always been far too static. DAvid Haye began with him didn’t he. A spoofer. Going with Haye was a bad move. Messer.

Zhang has plenty of power. Engine is the only suspect part of him. In the first fight Joyce got through a bit, this time he was destroyed. Not fit to stand for the announcement and no interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

If Zhang was clever now he'd call for AJ another big name but very beatable for him, he should avoid fury and wilder unless his cashing in.

Would you behave.

Usyk and Fury would ballet around Zhang.

Both would gladly take that fight and I hope Zhang gets that payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Neither of them will give him a fight. We'll have to wait and see but I'm confident I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

easy win for fury 100% but it will be great seeing team fury heading over there. should be a great buildup and as we all know sometimes the buildup is a lot better than what happens in the ring! zhang has more than earned his payday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

Anything can happen, especially at heavyweight. Fury could have been waved off in two fights against wilder and i don't think anyone would have complained. Could have easily been waved off against Otto Wallin with one of the worst cuts you'll see - nobody would have complained(his own dad said as much). And you can go back to one of those mcdermott fights where it was very close to call. Huge fury fan and he's one of the best. But nobody is unbeatable - and there's already a blemish on his record. Hopefully he gives Zhang his payday, but with the money he's making fighting non boxers/celebs - it could be years before we see him in a competitive fight again.

Post edited by ianburke on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Joyce did an interview after the fight and said there’s plenty left in the tank and he’s not done yet

The internet isn’t for everyone

Joyce is going to be so disappointed with his performance. Often see it when a fighter makes so many changes based on an opponent. It’s not natural and under the right pressure the gameplan falls apart. He had no confidence and body language was awful. You’d wonder why he even took the fight. Everything about his preparation was reactive. Gained 25 lbs (not 5 or 6 25!). He was so slow, in his efforts to get his lead foot right he abandoned everything else. He threw with no authority at all, hardly a shot in anger and he got through enough but half hitting a beast like Zhang wont deter him. That right hand hanging low from the time he got his first big shot in R2.

For all that Zhang was excellent. Joyce played right into his hands but I was impressed by his hand speed and especially shot variation. He knew exactly what he was going to do and executed it perfectly. Those two wins and a very harsh call against Hrgovic entitle him to a shot at a title and he’d give it a hell of a go. If Usyk could keep away from him early then I think it would be an easy night for him, Fury I think would have way too much but in terms of power and excitement Zhang offers loads.

Yea I watched that thanks I meant no interview in the ring. Joyce talking about a fight with Dubois I’m not sure that is a seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

I dunno I disagree anyway he looked beaten before the ko imo his style doesn't lend itself well to longevity either, now that people know that he can be ko d the fear factor is gone.

I don't see who he can fight of note that he can beat, maybe AJ but the only way AJ would fight him is if he lost himself.

The only thing about dubious is he has quit in him aswell.

I think Joe's race is ran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

AJ destroys him imo.

He could always turn to Chisora or White.

They'd even probably have the cheek to make it ppv.

Not a given he'd be the victor but that's about his level.

100% domestic is his level. From he turned pro the danger was that Joe would turn into an old man overnight. They matched him well and then he had a breakout victory over Dubois. No one really wanted him that much so he fought PArker and looked very impressive, possibly on the verge of a title shot but nobody needed him. So he fought a guy that was a bit of an unknown quantity; southpaw but slow, aging and a recent loss, Joe would get past him easily… but it turned out this was the fella who would expose Joyce’s frailties. Now… Joe is still in the who needs him camp but he represents an easy victory for anyone in the top 5. None of them have to fight him, Dubois doesn’t have to fight him. No one really gains anything from fighting him bar a decent name but we’d all say he’s finished anyway. So he could have a 50-50 with Derek or Dillian or Gerald or Charles and no one cares that much who wins. He’s a Price now and his best chance is to look decent on someone’s undercard

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AJ is crap, he's nowhere near the fighter he was. As soon as somebody starts connecting with a few decent jabs he cowers away from it.

I don't know if Joyce would beat him but he could maybe beat him easily enough. He'll never get the chance though unless Eddie thinks it's a big enough payday to risk the end of AJ.

AJ obliterates Joyce. Jaysus sakes, Joyce is desperate on speed and defence. Desperate!!

Joyce has nothing to offer anyone now it’s all high risk no reward, he’s too boring to even drum up good domestic numbers on a ppv unless the opposition carried him

his victory against dubois was a shocker for Frank who expected to have the next heavyweight champion in young Daniel, his fight against Parker was half decent but Parker goes to sleep mid rounds quite often it’s like he can’t concentrate for the full 3 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Joyce is a busted flush now altogether and even Joshua would be well capable of blowing him away. If he’d met him before the Zhang fights then he had a decent chance. Did Parker rattle him or simply provide the blueprint? Even I could see the blueprint years ago when he fought Jennings. Hes useless. Lewis unloading the big right hand over on him would have been some sight to see. He is a likeable if a little boring fella and he took his licks both times with class, I’ll certainly say that for him

by the term high risk low reward i mean there are easier fights out there for people with higher pay days

• Advertisement

I can’t really think of any.. PPV is where the money is..Joyce wouldn’t do big numbers, but who (easier) would….?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Suspect you're right. Zhang presents very little upside to either of them. Neither's legacy will be enhanced if they beat him. I think that's mostly what motivates Usyk. Fury is a different kettle of fish as he seems willing to fight who and however brings most notoriety and money, and Zhang probably brings not enough of either.

Zhang and fury had a deal done apparently and then joyce activated the rematch, if the fight was in China it would be huge for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Fair enough. I hope it's more reliable than the many Fury Joshua deals that were done. Fury v AJ has its own Wikipedia entry, which is some going for a fight that hasn't happened and probably never will.

Well it was Zhang himself that was talking about it and not the usual promoter nonsense

I think Zhang in Bejing could be the second biggest realistic fight for Fury. Massive occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As thought Joyce couldn't change anything believe his own zombie nonsense ,

Aj v Zhang would be a massive fight money wise for both ,But no way AJ takes the fight, he avoided Ortiz till he knew he was done he won;t go near Zhang right now, AJ will avoid all the good fighters who can really punch, Why im convinced AJ v Wilder will never happen ,

Might sound crazy but i'd pick Zhang to stop Usyk ,Usyk gets hit against everyone & i think Zhang would give him massive issues ,

I think Fury would outbox him for 12 rounds probably stop him late ,

Fury stops Zhang rds 7-8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

100% correct stoppage by the ref on Saturday.

However I thought that the bell stops a count, apart from the final round ? Maybe I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It used to vary from fight to fight but I think it’s the norm in boxing lately

Advertisement