Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kil

Signs this mornings say 'Both Lanes Use N25'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

🎇🎈🎉, although looking at the camera just now the vast majority of traffic emerging from the tunnel and not taking the M8 slip appear to be still using the left lane.

The turn into the the M8 slip seems to have been softened too.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kil

I had no coffee at 9.13am when I posted - the sign said 'N25 Use Both Lanes' - not the other way around 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep the more I look the more I think a small cheap ferry between around Mahon and Little Island or Blackrock and Tivoli should be done. I don't think the new "gateway bridge" will be enough. And actually the more I look at the gateway bridge concept the more I think it's a bad idea.

The new Little Island (Eastgate) footbridge is up for public consultation now at least.

A ferry, suitable for being part of a bus route, between the Ringmahon Rd / CastleRd area of Mahon and the R623 in Little Island would also provide a connection between the cycle routes of both areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Yes, I'd say coning off the left lane would have made it too tight, it's fairly tight there as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The left lane as you come out of the tunnel is coned off and 'The turn into the the M8 slip seems to have been softened' to compensate I'd say. You can see it here at the beginning of Dronehawk's video;

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well would wonders never cease.

Maybe it was our bitching on this thread, the emails that went in, or maybe they'd planned it from the start, but the gantry as you come out of the tunnel going northbound (seen in the bottom left at 0:20) in the video above, is being changed.

It wasn't fully up when I passed through this evening but is much more sensible and not misleading - both lanes to N25, a slip road sign for Cork/Tivoli and one for Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,271 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BusConnects has a planned route from Little Island to CUH via the tunnel, Mahon Point, Douglas, South Ring, Blackash P&R.

Post edited by namloc1980 on

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

And it’s the part of Bus Connects that isn’t the ‘Neighbourhood - City Centre’. It doesn’t require infrastructure changes and there are some bus lanes part of the Dunkettle works. This will actually happen, probably in the next year or two whenever the routes start changing

Has anyone seen the new tunnel northbound signage?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Only really looked at gantry sign before tunnel, at least its clear that both lanes are for N25E. One thing on it though, the info for M8N is the width of the 2 lanes, so would fear people heading that way may stay in left lane then have to dive across lanes to make the correct route. It may not happen, but do think it opens up the possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

I drove northward yesterday and just after Mahon there was still an overhead sign showing the right lane was M8 only, but the next overhead sign said both lanes N25 East with a slip lane arrow for the M8. Obviously all tweaks in progress but it's looking good.

Hopefully, with two uninterrupted lanes running the whole way through the intersection from the N40 to the N25, the 80km/h speed limit will be restored thus alleviating the long queues at rush hour on the N40 northbound.

On the N25 to N40 route, with three lanes merging, one from the right followed by another from the left into one lane heading for the N40, I can't see a speed limit of anything over 60km/h through where the merging is taking place so it looks like we'll be stuck with long queues at rush hour on that route forever.

I don't think itll be 80kmph from n40 to n25 just yet, it's still a very temporary layout and if stay in right lane through tunnel and around, it gets very narrow under the old flyover part.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I suspect that it was always planned but there are other considerations that we're not aware that are slowly being put into place. Clearly there are problems to be ironed out as things go along but this is still a construction site. I'm not saying I don't have sympathy for those caught up in it but sometimes it's simply not possible to avoid issues while trying to keep the junction open during all of these works.

I was thinking about when all the works are finished and it's no longer a construction site.

Do think the Mahon merge will still keep it slow there at peak times due to sheer volume, but should be moving grand before the tunnel again. At least it won't be a case of heavy traffic and people skipping through red lights, blocking other lanes from moving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Two things needs need to happen to the Mahon merge:

1. Something needs to be done about the cars taking the Mahon exit (Bloomfield side) and instead of turning right for Jacobs island going straight on. It just adds to the cars merging for no reason.

2. Cars on the road need to be more accommodating to cars trying to merge. I merge there most mornings and it's ridiculous cars speeding up to cut you off merging ahead of them. Keep at a steady pace and leave cars merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The second one seems to be a very Irish thing, other countries in my experience let others merge. We’re just poor drivers in general really, unsurprising given the joke of a driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bog Down

The solid white line in the tunnel is causing a good few trucks to struggle to get into the left lane until well after the tunnel after coming from the m8. In busy times the left lane is a constant flow and most drivers won't allow them to move over to improve flow and also they have impatient drivers undertaking them on the exit of the tunnel where the trucks need more space and time. Any need for it to stay solid white line?

A similar 'Irish' thing is drivers in lane 2 speeding up to prevent someone from moving from lane 1 into lane 2 to overtake slower traffic in lane 1

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Norteño

Well, if people in lane 1 didn't think they've the right to pull out in front of the overtaking traffic in lane 2 all the time, this wouldn't happen nearly as much.

That's also an "Irish problem".

I've traveled extensively in Europe where there are lots of tunnels and overtaking in a tunnel is generally forbidden, in fact, I can't recall being in one that doesn't have the lanes separated by double white lines.

Regarding the JLT, if there was to be a speed limit of 80km/h from immediately after the M8/N25 merge it would help with HGV speeds on the southern incline out of the tunnel after which they could move over to lane 1. If traffic already in that lane facilitated the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bog Down

I know the tunnel in Limerick is broken white lines with 100km limit. That's straight though not curved like JLT so maybe that's a reason.

Or maybe as above its an 'Irish thing' where there's no way people will let a slower moving vehicle change lanes

As regards people's rights. However, in a civilised society, they should only be exercised in a manner that doesn't negatively impact others. Personally, I consider it a good deed to let someone pull out to overtake a slower vehicle and not box them in causing them to slow down unnecessarily.

I'm just back from a recent visit to the UK. Over there and elsewhere in Europe, my lived experience is that after putting on the indicator to indicate you wish to move over a lane to overtake a slower vehicle it's common practice for drivers in the lane you wish to move into to momentarily lift off the throttle and let you out, a lot will even give you a quick 'off you go' flash of their headlights.

The flash IS NOT an I'm coming through stay where you are flash as it's clear the vehicle giving the flash is no longer closing the gap to you.

Maybe it's because we really don't know what heavy traffic is in this country but our lane discipline is generally atrocious and most Irish drivers would be totally out of their depth on the motorways and dual carriageways in countries where such roads can be like car parks moving at speeds of up to 130 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Generally would let people out but when it’s obvious for example that there’s a tractor up ahead moving very slowly and people wait til they are in a traffic jam behind it instead of pulling out well in advance it annoys the life out of me 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

The flash IS NOT an I'm coming through stay where you are flash as it's clear the vehicle giving the flash is no longer closing the gap to you.

I often would flash to let drivers out, and sometimes wonder why they're slow to pull out. Never dawned on me that they would think it was me saying I'm coming through. Always put it down their to lack of attention.

• Advertisement

Happened me Thursday, I'm in overtaking lane, tractor merging on 700m ahead along with 6 cars behind him. About 4/5 vehicles in driving lane, nobody ahead of me, but of course the dunnes van decides to wait until I'm beside him to pull out. A reaction time of 500m is mad

Advertisement