Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Calves 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The dairy boys will need to up there game here. Killed a few earlier in the week. 2XHE 30 months 290 ISH kgs 1400 average, a two year old AA 240 kgs 1150 euro. Two Friesians just under 30 months 330 DW 1550 euro. An over age friesian 290 kgs 1250.

Dead weigh of dairy bred beef is absolutely collapsing. I was critical earlier in the year of the DW out of some of the green acres calf to beef systems. I think all calves need to be genitally tested at birth and the beef value displayed in marts. The dairy man should have to rear them to 6 months and lads get them for nothing then.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Jack98

If a buyer is purchasing rats of calves from dairy farmers and they’re leaving them little to no margin that is the buyers problem. All farm types are businesses and should be treated accordingly.

If you’re a beef farmer buying in, find an animal type that suits whatever system you wish to carry out and stop complaining about poorer quality stock and just don’t buy poorer quality stock.

If a farmer isn’t making money from dairy bred stock that’s his own issue for bad decision making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Only had 2 fr bull calves this autumn, used sexed. Was being offered 20 euro by dealer. Sold off farm for 40, Angus bull 150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Well said, the day you purchase is the day you sell, lads buying these poor calves and cattle is sending a message to the dairy man keep producing what you’re doing and don’t improve. Buying poor cattle it’s very hard to get performance out of them and lads on here talking them up and on YouTube how great Jex are best cattle to buy and then trying to convince how great they are. When killing cattle the only thing that pays is weight. A neighbour bought FRX and Jex bull calves spring 2022 and sold 15 three weeks ago 570 average for bulls.What did they leave behind them in profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How did your calving pattern for the autumn go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

God but he roasted his chestnuts on an open fire. To quote a Christmas song.

Not too bad got 15 fr heifer calves from 25 sexed straws, 2 bulls also. Onto whiteheads and Angus now. Over half calved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭straight

I always thought you are the only man I know that can buy a sows ear and turn it into a silk purse. Looks like you are loosing your touch...

• Advertisement

The three Friesian came in at 610 euro Sept '22, the HE's at 470, July '22, a the AA at 560. In late Oct 23.

I was not happy with the AA the night I bough him online I just had one bullock bought at that stage, the HE I thaught would hit 310 DW under 30 months.

It just the collapse in DW's over the last couple of years is surprising me. Like I said lads would want to be getting these calves for free at 3+ months.

I just revise my price point for these lighter coloured cattle back by 50-100 euro,. 3 years ago I could buy light AA and HE 350 kgs and hang them at 310-330 kgs 12-14 months later. I say the friesian's were 400 ISH kgs when purchased.

The lad buying them as calves will pull out of the game and calf prices will drop further . I might have to revise my system to buying weanlings or reared calves.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Killed this lad a few weeks ago, a few days off 30 months, he was 50% bb 25% je. He got 2kgs of meal for 50 days prior to going the factory. He killed 307kgs graded and R+, came into over €1,500 cost €170 in a bunch of blues as a calf. His buddies all graded R+ as well but didn't have any je blood and came into over €1,600 each. If the dairy farmers want to continue with je cows they will need to be calving BBx or Chx calves to sell or they will be left with them. No point feeding an animal to kill under 300kgs and grade a P it just wouldn't pay.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭straight

Looks like your unbeatable system is broken Bass. God forbid you would actually feed a few calves.

Profitability in beef is down to a few main factors, keep costs low, being willing to constantly adjust your system and the understanding that the profit shine in the animal when you buy them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Bass Reeves I bought him in a bunch of 5 BBx Cross at the beginning of April 21 for €170. His 4 buddies were from Fr cows and are gone sine June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Bass I assume that none of them were out of JEx dams as you would be astute enough at this stage.

I reckon that you possibly got caught with dams that are showing as FR on the card but in actual fact are Kiwi Friesians.

I agree with you that the quality of Friesian bulls has diminished a lot over the years.

I would not say I was caught as such the two HE left 930 between in and out in about 14 months. I never taught they would be big cattle but I did think they would be 20 kg DW heavier. The P grade friesian came in as part of a bunch.

But you are right the JEx breeding is only part of the problem nowadays. The Kiwi breeding is an issues as well. Easy enough to spot the JE breeding as it bring a blackey red stripy colour.

At present anything with back weight for age has to be treated as an animal that will kill in the 300 kg bracket and price accordingly.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The light poor carcase confirmation can easily be attributed to the short gestation east calving Angus in particular beef bulls we were told use …..just get the cow in calf get her calved early no risk on calving difficulty and sure let beef man worry about the calf …..this dbi index isn’t going to do much to correct it …..we as dairy farmers have to produce better beef and male calves ….the smaller lighter cows ebi has given us dosnt for most part deliever tgat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Neighbour says the short gestation easy calving bull is this generations angel dust

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Keep costs down, yes but constantly changing systems is not always the smartest thing

Confused - Angel dust added muscle weight to cattle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Both promised win-win but the downsides were ignored

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

What he meant was it was angel dust to dairy farmers. They saw the upside not the ancillary issues.

Poorer quality calves is beginning to haunt right across the sector.

They all have to finished from now on its grand to give guff and say

''If a buyer is purchasing rats of calves from dairy farmers and they’re leaving them little to no margin that is the buyers problem''

All markets depend on confidence within the market. I am a trader, contrary to what @Dunedin thinks I will not only preserve that margin but expand it.

The lads below me depend on me having confidence on what I buy. If confidence is destroyed I move elsewhere. If I move on they have no market.

Then they go organic or elsewhere. While some might think sucklers will be resurrected the hard economics suggest otherwise.

I will not be buying the AA again, If I buy that type of HE I will be below the 500 euro. I am gone from the FR market from mid summer.

Slava Ukrainii

The damage isn't irreversible though. Genomic testing at birth with sire and dam confirmation would solve everything. Just from a quick look at some of the easier calving Limousin bulls available.

EWDENVALE IVOR - LM2014 Gestation 288, 2.6% calving on cows - 5 Stars Carcass Conf and weight

LISNA SIR - LM8616 2.4% calving on cows 5 Stars Carcass Conf and 4 stars weight

The bulls are out there, farmers just need to use them. They will if rewarded to do so.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

That’s just LM’s, there’s short gestation CH & BB too, without looking at other breeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

But the problem is the breeder and rearer of the calf wont be rewarded if he is selling in the busy weeks in the spring when there is a glut in the market .I have often sold powerfull calves who could almost swim the atlantic for miserable money in these glut times and had no other choice as did not want scour brought from the mart and more calves coming up .

How do you square that circle is the problem to reward the man who breeds and rears these top quality stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Could you calve earlier or in the Autumn? Or is it a case that the calf is just a by-product of milk production just like wool from lamb production?

Advertisement