Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hurt Locker: Ireland v South Africa. Saturday 23rd September. Stade DeFrance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rootsblower

No such thing as less pressure in New Zealand rugby. It’s a religion out there. Being an All Black comes with monumental pressure no matter if your underdog or not. New Zealand expects to win at rugby every time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Given what we’ve seen from this team in the last 2 years, do you think we’ll play like we always have in the QF?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rootsblower

Ref told Irish maul to be careful when putting the player down. Would have been illegal is Etzebeth’s body had gone to ground less than horizontal if you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Absolutely. They need a huge game this evening to survive. Wales realistically.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

We ARE rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I suppose we will see but I really don’t see them citing it.

The one that should be cited was DDA’s hit on Ringrose early he game. That was the text book definition of a dangerous clear out and wasn’t even looked at.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

See the thing is, before every quarter final it's always "it's going to be different this time" and it never is.

Maybe this time it really is different, but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭JRant

One thing I don't like about scrum penalties is that even when the ball is picked up by the 8 and he breaks from the scrum the ref will often go back. Happened in one of the scrums last night. Doris got the ball out very quickly but O'Keefe blew after he picked it up to award the pen. If the scrum is to restart the game then just let them get on with it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

If ever there was reason to believe it’s going to be different this time, it’s surely off the back of being world number 1 for the last 12 months, and in a RWC that looks like the most open it’s been in probably decades. That’s what is different this time.

Haven’t we won something like 28 of our last 30 Tests? That’s a record going back 2 and a half years.

If we beat Scotland, the QF would take us level with the record winning streak ever.

We’re at the highest peak we’ve ever been in terms of consistent performance and results.

Conversely, NZ are probably at their lowest ebb in… 2 decades maybe? More?

It’s honestly absurd to me that you still think there’s a question mark over this teams mentality. I’m not sure what more they could’ve done in those 2 and a half years to convince you otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Agree about that hit, he went flying in off his feet. Couldn't believe it wasn't looked at.

As I said, it may well be different this time. And perhaps there is more reason than ever to believe it will be. I don't dispute that. But equally, we've had big pool wins before and gone into quarter finals with big expectations and subsequently fallen to pieces. So I'm not going to be getting carried way with a pool win, when really there was nothing in it, which we would have lost if SA had a goal kicker. This team will be judged on whether it gets past the quarter finals. Anything less would be abject failure, given our record over the last couple of years as you pointed out.

And my point is, until that QF, this team deserves the benefit of that doubt that they can deliver in it, due to the body of work they’ve put together.

Rather than the negativity.

Call me skeptical, but I daresay if they had lost, I doubt you would be shrugging it off as just a pool game.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

It wasn't actually a tackle as such. The ball carrier needs to get a knee to ground for it to become a tackle. When a third player joined them it became a maul. The ref was then basically reminding the Irish side of their obligation re safety for the opponent as he was off the ground in the maul. That's how I interpret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

The 4 group games are enough.

Call me skeptical, but I daresay if they had lost, I doubt you would be shrugging it off as just a pool game.

If SA had kicked their kicks, or scored at the end and won by two points, I'd be saying the exact same thing, it doesn't really change anything. This team will be judged on whether it gets past the quarter finals. And it will take us delivering probably our greatest ever performance in 3 weeks to achieve that, regardless of what happened last night.

Honestly, the biggest positive for me from last night was the fact that we had zero injuries, not the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I liked the way lowe basically said "down boy", to the incoming south african as the ref had blown the whistle..

And it will take us delivering probably our greatest ever performance 

I'd honestly question that, given what we've seen from Ireland and NZ respectively (and contrastingly) in the last 18 months.

It seems to me you're basing your "I'll believe it when I see it" solely on Ireland's record in QF's and utterly ignoring the body of work this team has put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I have had my hand stamped in four games that I remember, had to play with a balloon of a hand for half a game as a scrum half. Guys are always looking for that opportunity, it's a complete sickener and nothing you can do about it either but play on and hope for the best. Would be fantastic if it finally got reffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I thought he let the game be decided by the teams and not by being the centrepiece.

the journalist grew up in Northern Ireland so despite being a NZ website don’t think he is inherently biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Everyone is well aware of the quarter final jinx or hex with Ireland, but it also has to be said that this Irish team is a better side, better prepared, in better form and a more confident one than any of the previous ones. The previous versions just weren't good enough to win a World Cup (loss of form / confidence, injuries etc) at the time they competed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

To be specific ,

(1)would the ball have been deemed dead if any part of Hanson’s body had touched the dead all line or behind it and he then grounded the ball on the right side of the line

(2)If any part of Hanson’s body had gone over the dead ball line and the ball had been touched down on the right side of the line WHILE HIS BODY WAS FLYING THROUGH THE AIR

this Irish team is a better side, better prepared, in better form and a more confident one than any of the previous ones.

Again, we say this every 4 years and it's never true. I'll believe it when they actually go and do it

Pretty sure it's No.1. If any part of his body makes contact with the end line or goes over it, he is deemed to have gone out of play.

I think he had a momentary brain freeze - he was so excited to be scoring a try and trying to gain a good position for the conversion that he almost lost concentration for a split second on what he was actually doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

He had a fairly hefty push on the back from a SA player that nearly sent him out of play

That part is true, but it has to be said that no previous version of the team was good enough to win a World Cup. Yes, they probably 'choked' when they got to the QF, but I don't think they were good enough to win it either....the form just wasn't there when they competed.

It's hard to imagine any Andy Farrell led team choking in the knockout stages. The form book and the No. 1 ranking really suggests they should be making the semis or the final minimum.

I also don't buy the talk of us being fatigued, being on the tough side of the draw, from games like SA last night.

1. We're at the start of our season unlike the southern hemisphere teams.

2. We will have sore bodies after the SA game but no injuries. We have a two week break to recharge physically and mentally.

3. Scotland will be a far less intense game of rugby. They have less power and a different style we have handled easily many times. Scotland have a losing mentality in big games, no championship since 1999. South Africa have a winning mentality, won 3/7 World Cups and we beat them.

4. If we don't get a raft of injuries v Scotland, and PG beat them as usual, we hit NZ in great nick. At this stage of the tournament we couldn't be in a better position.

I'm happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Hahahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Had he touched the deadball line while in possession, then yes, ball is out of play and no score is then possible.

There is an unusual one which very rarely arises, which is, that ifsay the ball was loose in the in-goal (try scoring) area, then an attacking player who is in touch, can still apply downward pressure and the try is legit.

Law 8.2(e)

Who is in touch or touch-in-goal, grounds the ball in the opponents’ in-goal provided the player is not holding the ball.

P.S. It is called a try, as originally, you only registered a score if you got the conversion. So grounding it allowed you to "try" to get the score from the kick....

• Advertisement

Under the old meaning the current South African team would have difficulty scoring a try!

Advertisement