Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are right he should have been arrested.

However having viewed the incident on a couple of videos it appears that an arrest was operationally impossible.

Those two members of AGS had one job which was to get MHR out of danger.

If one of them had diverted to attempt an arrest things could have got out of hand very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Including government contracts for keeping refugees.

You wouldn't have seen them chase after Mattie McGrath. Reason, he walks the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

TDs should hear our voices.

They do, it's called a ballot box, and it occurs at five years in at the very most. The complete fuckwittedness of a lot of online comment makes one despair.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

the guards have been treating these scumbags with a softly softly approach. The way things are going, these scumbags will cause a Jo Cox incident

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Who is that bit of nastiness aimed at here... not me, I hope?

I think you may have read one line out of my post and misunderstood the whole premise.

As I have been saying in all my posts, voting / contacting your representatives, . is the best way to change anything democratically, that AND peaceful protest.

As I said quite clearly in my post that you replied to, incorrectly I believe, our democracy should have no problem with peaceful protest even to the gates of the Dáil where " tds should hear our voices" but not raised in abuse or with violent thuggery, as it was the other day.

That is a disservice to normal peaceful protestors who have every right as it stands, to go to the gates of Leinster House and PEACEFULLY address our elected representatives, not abuse and threaten. This carryon on Wednesday endangers all peaceful protest which may end up restricted as a result.

Quite a clear distinction I think.

Many decent people have had reason " to make our voices heard " in a peaceful manner in front of Dáil Eireann and would like to be able to continue to do so if necessary .

It's part of our democratic right along with our vote and not just in general elections . If you don't think that is true than look it up .

Are you describing my reasonable comment as you have said above as " fuckwitted " I am more than a bit taken aback at that tbh...

I would like you to clarify your last comment because as it stands it it is not just offensive but ill placed . .

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Does it need explaining? Yes, it obviously does. I was referring to posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

And keeping the left wing analysis and I say this as someone coming from an old labour, as distinct from a new labour, background, at some point in recent years it seems to have become acceptable amongst what I can only imagine much be younger posters (I am closer to 70 than 60) to casually use words such as 'scumbags' and other equally harsh references to those who are people from socially deprived neighbourhoods.

Another example how politics have changed in recent times.

And one more thing before I leave for the day, nobody come back to me with a 'how do you know they're from socially deprived neighbourhoods' as that's just deflection, and anyone with an ounce of sense can see through that.

• Advertisement

That was only beause the No side were outnumbered! Do you remember what they got up to in 1983 though, it was shameful.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Why would you say Sinn Fein got such a vote last time round. I reckon I’ll informed protest vote. They still seem to be benefitting in the polls from potential voters who think they’re something they are not.

It's not going to happen but that won't stop the usual suspects scaremongering about it.

No they're not, these books are in the young adult section which needs parental approval to access, but facts never get in the way of a conspiracy theory

Unless of course that foreign culture is the one headquartered in Rome 🤣

It was very handy they were all able to get the day off 😝 Who is enraged? and any group causing or threatening violence like the clows at the Dail did will rightly be condemned by me and most others.

I don't agree with bottles of liquid being thrown

?

They should have a tough enough skin to deal with whatever is thrown at them including 'bottles of pi$s'.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

What about the protests that you agree with ? what about LGBTQ protests ect are they all unemployed too ? lol "handy they can all get the day off" hypocritical much? lol

To clarify, that line was NOT referring to you (or anyone on boards) and I apologise for not being more clear.

People behaving in that way will be called scumbags and I have no problem with that.

• Advertisement

Any LGBTQ protests I've been aware of were at the weekend, only students and dolers organise events when everyone else is at work

@Hotblack Desiato

Thank you for the clarification . It wasn't clear in the post .

The discrimination is unreal, as if a persons employment status invalidates there views. Plenty of people work weekends too.

I do find it funny tho people like you discriminate against others and then cry for help with your own causes its why i dont give em the time day you and your kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The actual conduct of the protesters is what invalidated them. The exact same kind of conduct which they engage in at libraries. Plus the vast majority seem to be out and out bigots and conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I presume a lot of these far-right protestors are fantasists and losers who have been radicalised by spending too much time with similar thicks on the internet? Lot of conspiracy theories, social isolation, poor education, patchy work record, underlying mental health issues?

I believe the point is not , as I have said before those on welfare or those unemployed/ employed

. Many people from all walks of life organise protests usually for late evening or Saturdays to include as many as possible.

I would have attended some marches and left to go to work shift at the weekend in the past .

So it wasn't aimed at people working generally .

But he main point is the incoherence and thuggery.

Saying anything else is just deflection.

Oh i agree I just find the hypocrisy ridiculous, especially from posters that view themselves as some sort of righteous paragon of equality but will wholesale label groups they disagree with as x ,y and z with 0 factual basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes to all of the above. I would lack of critical thinking is a key one as well : they see things in very black and white terms and are looking for simple solutions to very complex problem. I'd suggest too a lot of them are the 'left behind' and are looking for scapegoats for their predicament.

• Advertisement

So you do agree then with my interpretation?

I think that is the general view of the people that organised that particular " protest" .

It is outside the norm .

A range of social media not used by normal political activism was used to plan .

Some of the main protagonists are known persons whose main employment is anti vaccine , library, now immigrant activism.

People who work in homeless and drug services know many others by sight who were in the midst of this , vulnerable people who are easy prey for the crowd I mentioned above .

So anybody here saying that this disparate group are not as previously identified is just posting disingenuously .

The issue is not whether these people are employed or otherwise but that this particular group organised a very select group of their own choosing and not for a calm peaceful protest.

Advertisement