Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism and hypocrisy in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭jackboy

There is zero evidence of racism. Watching a video and thinking you can read someone’s thoughts is not evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,540 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Can you link to the post where I said that?!

Because I'm pretty sure that's bullshit or you have me confused with a different poster.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Somebody saying Irish speaking schools are like the KKK. Did you ever think that it's mostly white Irish people that are interested in sending their kids there? No it's because racism, everything is racism, everything is a chance to play the victim. This garbage will have us end up like America soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Some chip on your shoulder you have there!

What is middle class in Ireland? I didn't think we had a class system unlike our neighbours across the sea.

Or is middle class a person who has a job and can afford to make PCP payments on a entry level VW group vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rowantree18

Can you point out where I suggested people are excused to partake in racism.?

What I did write was that numerous non national persons of colour with whom I interact daily report to me that Ireland is, in their opinion, not racist.

I'm beginning to think that some people will just see anything as racist or discriminatory.

Is fairy liquid racist towards fairies? ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

Feel sorry for the child.

As for the woman handing out the medals I non anybody else is a mind reader it looks bad.

This woman should not be involved with this organisation again but for going after her and ruining her life that is pure mental.

I hate pitch fork mob mentality and those people in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Are you black ?

That is the point , while being left out is not nice for any child .

If this was an " innocent " mistake as you say , why did the woman not go to the child straight away and apologise . It was obvious from the video that even her team mates noticed .

A normal reaction would be to make amends straight away , not ignore and try to pretend nothing to see here .

At the very least a myopic stupid individual who should not be dealing with children .

At the worst however a product of the increasingly racist tone and language of some people here in this country .

This is why even immigrants and refugees who assimilate and integrate into our society, like this girl and her family , are still being punished because of race and colour .

Anyone who doesn't see how bad this is , is cruel and ignorant and should not be dealing with children .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭bloopy

We identified the official concerned and informed the individual in question of the complaint. The official in question accepted fully that what had happened had not been acceptable but stressed that it had not been intentional. The official concerned said that upon realising the mistake they immediately rectified it and ensured that the competitor concerned was presented with her medal before she left the Field of Play (FoP).

This seems to show that she attempted to rectify the situation once the mistake had been identified.

It does not appear that she just walked away from the incident.

Yes@bloopy it does say that but that was a bit after the fact.

The only reason I can think is that there were names on the back also and maybe that confused this person but she in that case should have given everyone any medal and let them swap around after which is usually what happens in ceremonies everywhere .

But not to give one girl a medal is stupid , never mind the only black girl , c'mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭bloopy

But we have to give the benefit of the doubt that it was a genuine mistake.

An idiotic and foolish one granted, but a mistake nonetheless.

There are hundreds of comments on Reddit and thousands on Twitter and it is turning into an exceptionally nasty mob. There are many calling for her name and a lot wanting to know where she lives. It has even been mentioned earlier on in this thread.

If they find out who she is they will absolutely destroy this woman.

And if it was indeed a genuine mistake, an innocent person will have their life ruined.

We cannot jump to the most malicious intent possible immediately on someone who may have made a mistake. That leads down a very dangerous road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭prunudo

What is more interesting or troubling depending how you look at it. Afaik this happened a year ago and it is only released now and gaining traction. But there is an element pushing this to show somehow that Ireland is racist hellhole and all migrants are treated badly. Going by the comments on reddit/twitter there is definitely an agenda being pushed by some group.

Excuse me now ...read my post .

You are misinterpreting or misrepresenting it .

"At the very least a myopic stupid individual who should not be dealing with children ."

Yes she's not , anymore . That is a result . I don't agree her life should be ruined further at all ... and GI should have dealt with this better to ensure there were no further waves .

At very least myopic and stupid , at worst racist and ignorant .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’m still waiting on that apology for the blatant mis-attribution. Surely you have the grace to admit you are wrong?

Secondly, I’m now being accused of racism. Please back up that assertion with fact. That’s a pretty significant allegation to make without any supporting evidence. You need to either substantiate that statement right away or withdraw that egregious comment.

The kids don’t ‘cringe’ when they see me as their coach. You know why? I’m knowledgeable about athletics and do my best to help them explore their talent. I also spend some weekends transporting kids to meets around the country. I love it and get a huge amount out of it as do the children in my charge. You on the other hand, have once again demonstrated your utter ignorance of sport and your typical inability to engage with anybody who disagrees with you.

Post reported for the personal attacks by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Like the Russel Brand story, what was once considered a 1 out of 10 in terms of seriousness, 1 is now an 8 out of 10.

This 'example of racism' is in the press only because of the action the parents took against they gymnastics org. They issued an apology because the contestant didn't get their medal when they should. They did not apologize for or concede racism was at play.

The incident in itself is a bit of a non-story as it's trivial in the grand scheme of things and was not brushed under the carpet at the OP says. No doubt the usual's with make the most of it.

I take it she got her medal before the ceremony was concluded and a missing big of info is video of it being given to her and what was said by the official at the time. Like did she say omg sorry or what. I don't see how anyone can say for certain this is a clear cut case of 'unconscious bias' and she did look a bit mythered at that point in the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I can't think of an innocent reason that doesn't by necessity involve racism.

There will be a certain section of the population who think like you do. Once an individual can be classed as being "different" then the go-to reason for hose people for everything will be "racism".

It's extremely toxic and will only teach people to perceive themselves as perpetual victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭TokTik

https://x.com/mhdksafa/status/1705255758978269390?s=46&t=6cLnc0ZtzhK8nMknfB_HwQ

here is the full actual video. The person handing out the medals clearly looks at the ribbon on each one before handing them out. Which leads me to believe there are names on them. She says something to the black kid after she goes past her, obviously asking her name, or telling her she’ll have to find her medal. Which she does off camera.

As someone said above, race baiters gonna race bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Yeah it's awful, I just don't think it's racist.

Hang on. I didn’t jump into anything. You latched on to my post and immediately starting making false attributions. I would never willingly initiate an interaction with you. However, I have no issue calling out your nonsense when you proceed with your typical ranting.

1. Where’s that apology for the mis-attribution? Still waiting on that..
    2. Substantiate your claims of racism, right now.
    3. Are you going to apologise for your personal attacks on my ability to coach children in a sport that both they and I are passionate about?

I can assure you that my reading comprehension is far above the mean (yet another personal attack - keep it classy ‘Goldengirl’). I equate my personal experience as this happens to children right around the country every weekend. Kids are slighted and over-looked all the time at sporting events. The optics on this one do not look terrific because the child is black. You of course, latch on to that fact, because that’s the prism through which you view everything. Those of us who are actually involved in sport, understand that it a relatively common, albeit an unfortunate occurrence. Would you be even remotely so exercised if the little girl was white?

To deal with your next set of assumptions, you have no idea if the little girl is the only black child in her class or her friend group. You know precisely nothing about the child or her social milieu. That’s you superimposing your own assumptions yet again. In fact, living where I do in Dublin, it would be extremely uncommon for that little girl to be the only black child in her environment. Does any of that excuse how she was treated by that official? Of course not. But it does highlight how blind you are to the degree of multiculturalism in particular parts of the capital.

Now dealing with yet another personal attack. Can you quote which views I have articulated that would apparently have me banned from coaching children’s sports. That’s another outrageous and borderline slanderous allegation which I’ve also reported. Is it because I disagree with you on immigration? It might shock you to learn that many people are capable of discussing the issue rationally in ‘the real world’. Obviously not you, but intelligent, articulate people are capable of rational debate. Now returning to coaching, can you enumerate the views I apparently hold that preclude me from coaching?

To be clear, about 25% of the children I coach in our very multicultural part of West Dublin, are from non-Irish backgrounds. About 5% are black. I would never treat a child differently or denigrate them because of their background. Despite your statement that I make them ‘cringe’, we have great fun together and I love seeing them getting stronger, faster, and fitter. You, on the other hand, clearly know nothing about sport or the coaching dynamic. As I’ve already stated repeatedly, this official should not be dealing with children. However, neither you nor I know the true motivation behind this unfortunate incident. You view it through your prism. I critique it from the position of somebody who is actually involved in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Guilty as charged I'm afraid. But if you can't post hyperbolic brain farts on the internet where can you!

🙈🙉🙊

I am sure I could supply lots of posts from you that would be deemed racist , if indeed half weren't already deleted . I won't be doing that now .

I am not getting further into this but to say I have and am involved in vetting individuals from a child protection POV for organisations and know what I am talking about , if I don't get involved in the mechanics of the game .

Your take on this was that it was not meant because of your own past very dissimilar experience and you immediately banished as have others the thought that it might be anything other than an innocent mistake , so no mis-attribution.

My take is that that women even iti it was a mistake should have rectified the situation by giving the child / children all medals regardless and not passing by anyone .

I respect people who give of their time voluntarily to help and coach children in all extra curricular activities and sports .

I volunteer myself but not in sports .

However as I said you cannot be too careful what you say and how you deal with children of an impressionable age ., as you say you know .

So I'll take you at your word , on this , but you haven't given me much confidence in it in the past

I apologise for casting aspersions on your character then .

Now you apologise for having a go at me .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement

You must be psychic !

Where did you see that ?

All I see in that vid us a longer pause where the girl is left looking around trying to smile for the camera but she has no medal .

The children on either side of her look upset and aren't smiling .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Repeating the same ridiculous answer. You don’t need to be a psychic to see blatant racism.

What you consider ‘racist’ stands up to little scrutiny in the real world thankfully. Ciao.

Right, yeah , and you'd know I suppose ? 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You are interpreting what you are seeing to match the reality you want to be true. Unless you personally know the individual you are in no position to judge her intention. A simple mistake is the far more likely explanation as such errors happen all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So what's the process here?

Assume the woman in the video is a racist and her actions were motivated by racism until it's proven otherwise?

We see a woman not put a medal around the neck of a black child, the only explanation is that this action is motivated by racism?

A statement was released denying the racism was an issue and the child did receive a medal a short time after the video ended but in the minds of some that's not acceptable?

We've had some people hoping for protests outside this person's home amongst other punitive measures to be handed out by baying mobs.

We're seeing people adding hyperbolic interpretations like stating the actions of the woman were spiteful and inherently racist when in reality the woman's back is turned to the camera for most of the video, so how these feelings of hatred are discerned is difficult to determine.

Another trial by social media begins in earnest.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

So people identified the wrong official, naming and shaming someone who wasn't even present at the event, and decided to harass them online.

We like to think we are far more advanced than those that conducted witch trials hundreds of years ago but sometimes there is still more than a hint of it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

The video itself is very damning i dont know how you can even argue against that, what ever about racism no one can tell or not if she hates different races but it was certainly a deliberate action regardless of the motivation and seeing as she handed medals to all the white kids and she was excluded... it would be fairly easy to put 2 and 2 together.

I dont think she's racist but i do think she favored other kids, most likely due to connections with parents and influence from them.

This is boards.ie what the mods deem as true is true its heavily monitored heavily censored and conversations are certainly encouraged to go certain ways via restricting what can be discussed in topics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement